SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Working out on an empty stomach could help fight off type 2 diabetes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working out on an empty stomach could help fight off type 2 diabetes Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Interesting article – possibly correct. If so, that’s good news for me – I never eat breakfast, regularly do floor exercises and walk several miles before lunch.

“We're told to fuel up before hitting the treadmill.

But a workout on an empty stomach could have 'profound' positive effects on our health, scientist say.

A study found exercising in a fasted state helps people control their blood sugar levels more than working out post-meal.

Their body becomes efficient at using insulin, called 'insulin sensitive', which is generally seen as a sign of good health.

Keeping insulin in check has the potential to fight type 2 diabetes and other metabolic conditions…”

https://mol.im/a/7589073

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this article, PipeSmoker. Appreciate it.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Check out Dr Fung. He is starting to hypothesize that insulin resistance may rest in insulin saturation of the cells. Interesting view. Either way, the cure is the same, reduce insulin by reducing excess blood sugar.

Reducing glycogen by ketogenic, Fasting, or Time restricted eating before you work out also burn up to 2.3 times more fat than if you worked out fed.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I never eat much before workout, but I've got to have a little something. A piece of fruit usually, but occasionally a protein bar. I've I'm completely empty I run out of gas pretty quickly.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
This applies to bicycling as well... do 20 miles eat a small snack and your body begins to start using your fat as energy to power your workup.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post