SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car guys and mechanics - Degreaser?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car guys and mechanics - Degreaser? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The Shibaura/John Deere Frankentractor project is looking promising. I have the dead engine out of the JD and the next step is to remove 30+ years of caked on grease and grime.

The last time I was in this situation, I tried Gunk brand degreaser and it was (probably thanks to the EPA) as useless as tits on a trout.

I've scraped off the big chunks but there's a billion or so nooks and crannies and I'd like to douche it down with something and then power wash it off.

I've heard oven cleaner works, I've also heard Dawn Platinum is pretty effective.

Any other suggestions?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've had decent performance from the purple stuff at Walmart. Old-school...spray a little diesel on it, works well still. I like the dawn dishsoap also, I've found that to work ok. Heated water in the pressure washer helps also, if you can.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dawn is a pretty good, I might would be tempted to use that in a garden sprayer, repeated soakings.

Sometimes Simple Green works for me, sometimes not.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Heated water in the pressure washer helps also, if you can.

Nothing beats a http://www.steamjenny.com/ that I’ve seen for that. Makes an engine block look good.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful with oven cleaner and pressure washer combo. You'll splatter that stuff all over including yourself and it is toxic. Steam cleaning is the most effective but you probably don't have access to it. I used to have access to it and it does better than any pressure washer and chemical cleaner. The heat really helps.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yeah, hot water and/or steam would really be the way to go. Might have to check into a rental.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Yeah, hot water and/or steam would really be the way to go. Might have to check into a rental.
Depending on the impeller system of your pressure washer, sometimes you can run a hose off a mixed valve, like a garage sink, or even the hot water heater. Even warm water is better than cold. Around here....our water comes out of the ground pretty cold, so getting warm water is quite helpful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I've taken engines to the car wash before.
Wash the mess down the grate and not in my yard.

Mineral spirits/parts solvent cuts the worst of it with a brush.
That's what I use at work before blasting it off with a pressure washer.
The engine is too big to drag around so it just gets washed with solvent and brake clean.
Which makes a giant mess.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I've taken engines to the car wash before.
Wash the mess down the grate and not in my yard.

This is why they have those signs outside of every U-Brush ‘Em.....

Personally, I’d start with simple green or purple power and a pressure washer

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I buy Spray 9 in the gallon jug at Lowes or Home Depot. It's not going to take off caked on goop though.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Purple Power degreaser. Works great. Might take an application or two, and warm water helps, but this shit cuts engine grease. Anything it doesn't get, finish with brake cleaner.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Brake cleaner.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Any other suggestions?
A friend of mine who is quite, um, "thrifty," frequents the bargain bins. He found something that was labeled Scotch whisky, aged in the plastic bottle for almost three years, 1.75 L for less than five bucks.

Even he could not drink it He brought it to the hangar and gave it to me. I couldn't get past the smell, so I gave it to Martin, who does the maintenance on our equipment.

"What's this for?" Martin asked. "You know that I don't drink."

"Degreaser," I replied.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
company that steam cleans motors anywhere close?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm with AK on diesel or K1.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I use the Gunk but you have to leave it on there for ten minutes or more before washing off. Sometimes a second shot if it's really thick and old.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
company that steam cleans motors anywhere close?

This mostly. Find the closest local shop that does engine work. Preferably someone that works on race engines or marine diesels. In my town (probably too far for you to drive) there are two with specialized 'cabinets' that steam clean parts. In the absence of that choice a steam pressure cleaner which you can probably rent.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If taking the motor apart, I would use brushes, solvent, wire brush, etc.

If you plan on running the motor without disassembly, I would use some sort of pressure washer with hot water out of your water heater. Add detergent if you can.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen drilling rigs degreased with Tide detergent, water and a bristle brush. Tide is pretty harsh stuff.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you use, get in there with a stiff bristle brush and scrub. Pretty much any decent degreaser will work. But I don't know of anything that you can just spray on that will eat away decades of cakes on grease without applying a liberal amount of "elbow" grease too.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post