SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft Silver light, yay or nay?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft Silver light, yay or nay? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Just downgraded from W10 to W7 on my laptop. Fed up with advantages that I don't use and occasional issues that I don't need. Not dissing W10, just thinking I can do the same or simpler with W7.
Gladly, the switching went well, most drivers are available for the older OS.

The main problem I wanted to solve remains unsolved. Asus laptops have issues when it comes to W10 and their touchpads. Tried every known solution under W10 and now with 7 I'm still sporting a dead touchpad.

To the point, why on Earth would one bother keeping and updating Silverlight? Seems to me that it's gotten nowhere since it's release. And it's been a while...
W7 wants me to update and I wonder if it's not better to get rid of it.
Less is more, right?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nay... Silverlight has been in an "unsupported state" for years. Short answer it it is dead. Netflix used to use it but has moved on to a modern technology.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Only if you stream Netflix on your PC.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have to use it on some government websites and only the MS browser works with it.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Interesting Netflix requirement. Luckily I use Android phone and Chromecast on TV. No watching on my PCs

Thanks for the replies.

0-0

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
0-0,
If you want to keep using W7 and don't want to " update to W10 " , you can download a small exe file called " Never 10 " 92 kb in size , and it will stop W10 from sneaking up and loading itself .
If you get tired of Microsoft's freezing , interminable updates , and breaking of the system , you can switch off Secure Boot in your BIOS , and download a Linux distro , burn it to a dvd , and try it without installing it . I would suggest MX18 . It is brilliantly easy and fully graphical so no need to learn new ideas . Oh , and it is free with thousands of FREE applications . Did I mention it is FREE .
Best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much. I'm an advanced user, been fixing computers since the late 80's.
Just don't feel the ultimate climax of using MS latest gift to humankind.

Got a couple of Linux distris running but I hardly oat attention to them. Once an OS/2 illuminatti, got disappointed when IBM dumped it and am lukewarm about embracing other OS after that.

0-0