SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is the karmanator website down?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is the karmanator website down? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
For reasons of my own I have decided that I am going to put an end to the Karmanator. Mostly this is due to my wife coming very close to dying, and us living with the the aftermath of that event. It isn't clear if she will ever completely recover.

This has had a major impact on me and how I view how to live my life.

Everything has its time, and all things come to an end.
I'm very sorry to hear this. I do hope your wife recovers fully. Some of the guys around here were thinking you had passed on and I am glad that's not the case.

Clearly, though, there is something I do not understand about the difficulties surrounding the Karmanator.

Just like last year when the domain name expired, I contacted you this year- by phone and email both- and offered to pay the annual domain name registration fees, and we could maintain the app itself on our host's servers, and just like last year when I contacted you, you've failed to respond to me.

Have we done something to anger or offend you? Otherwise, I do not understand why we can't maintain the domain name and the app ourselves and I do not understand your reluctance to engage in even the briefest dialogue on this matter. The karmanator is relied upon by a lot of the members here, and if you are relieved of all obligation to pay for or maintain the karmanator, I have to say I don't understand you saying you're just going to end it. Is it a matter of intellectual property? Is the karmanator something you intend to employ elsewhere?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He's not going to respond to me, and I think the only reason he posted yesterday was to get people to leave him alone. He doesn't care about this place any more, not one single bit.

I get it. If something happened to my wife, I'd probably act similarly, but it appears Chance has no patience for his fellow human beings these days. The message he has for callers in his phone's voicemail indicates that the man is unhappy and frustrated these days, and any further attempts to communicate with him would be futile.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well that's a shame to hear about his wife, it's absolutely understandable about his thought process.

We don't need a work around for utoob videos, it's possible to embed them in a post with the code on utoobs site.

The steps are listed in the several threads about the easy way to do videos, its in my post on page 2 of this thread. while it doesn't fix the karmanator, it does fix embedding videos on SF.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly no computer programmer, but if you wanted to do a karma, I think you could do it sort of by hand by assigning each response starting with 1, going to the last response. Then take the total number of the responses. Then google up a random number generator and let it pick a number from your range of 1 through X.

Just a thought, anyway.

My best wishes and a prayer for Chance and his wife and family. I hope he finds peace.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are any number of ways to conduct a random drawing.

The first time I did it, I divided the entire group in two and then chose even/odd by the throw of a die. Then again, and again as many times are necessary to select it down to one. Even with a large number of entrants, their names can be listed on a Word or Excel table as they enter and then handled that way.

It’s simple and quick, and who’s going to bitch, or even know about the method one uses?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
He's not going to respond to me, and I think the only reason he posted yesterday was to get people to leave him alone. He doesn't care about this place any more, not one single bit.

That's unfortunate. Handing over karmanator.com to you would've been a trivial exercise. Or even just making the code he'd already written available.

Now, instead, it'll all go to waste.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

That's unfortunate. Handing over karmanator.com to you would've been a trivial exercise. Or even just making the code he'd already written available.

Now, instead, it'll all go to waste.
Well, if Chance doesn't renew his registration, eventually it should be claimable. That is, if some registrar or speculator doesn't put it on their "for sale" or "premium" lists. However, I doubt the name/site gets enough queries/traffic to flag it as especially "valuable." A "domain search" is currently showing karmanator.com as "unavailable," but karmanator.{pretty much every other TLD} can be registered, and karmanator.sigforum.com is certainly an easy option.

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Just copy the link to your karma thread and paste it into the form here:
http://imaginekitty.com/karmaResultsURL.php

I'll pretty it up over the next couple of days and make it into a proper web page if this is acceptable.

Edit - I put a check in so that if the thread has more than 100 pages that it will only parse the first page. I don't want to kill the bandwidth here and on my server. At least not until I get it actually finished.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess the "search" function is also gone? It worked
very well. Any way around that?

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Report This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
First, I'm glad Chase's OK, but sorry for his situation.

quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
I guess the "search" function is also gone? It worked very well. Any way around that?

Site-specific search at your favorite search engine. For example, at Google, you'd type in:
quote:
site:sigforum.com _____________
where " _______ " is what you're looking for. So, for example if you're looking to search SIGforum for threads with the word 'miscreants', then in the search bar at www.google.com you'd type this in:
quote:
site:sigforum.com miscreants

I suppose some enterprising website programmer could automate that, too. But it's not all that hard to do it by hand.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Using google, type your search in the following manner, in the address bar at the top.

Replace "cats" with whatever you want to search.

site:sigforum.com cats

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
I guess the "search" function is also gone? It worked very well. Any way around that?
Say what? The search function is part of the forum software, and despite the running joke, it works just fine, just as any search engine works with proper input from the person performing searches.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Using google, type your search in the following manner, in the address bar at the top.

Replace "cats" with whatever you want to search.

site:sigforum.com cats
That's not even necessary:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=srchf

You guys are killing me.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
This link will work for a Karmanator. Count the number of entries and enter the number in and it will generate your winner.

https://www.calculator.net/ran...688&submit1=Generate

Of course you will have to count to see who is number "X" the winner, but it is better than nothing.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Report This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

I'll pretty it up over the next couple of days and make it into a proper web page if this is acceptable.

Edit - I put a check in so that if the thread has more than 100 pages that it will only parse the first page. I don't want to kill the bandwidth here and on my server. At least not until I get it actually finished.

The Kittynator! It works!

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:

Needs more testing but I'll leave it up as is for now.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Maybe ask para to sticky theses replacements?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Needs more testing but I'll leave it up as is for now.

Ready to use? I can offer a home made chicken soup karma if it is.

Para, is this okay with you?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ready to use? I'll offer a home made chicken soup karma if it is.
Go for it. It's just ugly. Tell me if you can break it or make it output nonsense. I'm sure I've got to filter the input.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Karmanator did more than generate karma winners (which it did with ease) like making it easy to post inline videos. Yeah yeah, I know follow the instructions for selecting the proper thing in YouTube and all that, but for those that only posted videos once or twice a year, using the karmanator made this easy.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post