SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The logic of maintaining an old car.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The logic of maintaining an old car. Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
so many factors to think about...

what is the expected life of the car if I do the repair? how likely is it to break again soon?

what is the cost of a replacement? what else do I get if I replace it? (think about all of the upgrades you get with a new car.)

how much is the car worth when fixed? how much can I get while its broken down?

etc etc etc

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
At $2500 for a repair, I would probably still pay up, but make a firm plan (financially, emotionally, whatever) to get a new car within the next 2-3 years. At the age you're talking about, you have about 5 more years before the car starts to fall apart (repairs are regular, and they often exceed the value of the vehicle).

I do believe that there is a point where vehicles are no longer cost-effective for their owners to operate as daily drivers. The "wheels falling off" point is usually well before that, but emotions often keep people from doing the actual math. That said, you're probably not quite there yet.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
what jimmy123x said

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It would surprise me if the "wheels were driven off" a well maintained car with only 100k miles on it, unless it's a Yugo or similar. I've bought several Suburbans and pickup trucks with similar (and larger) amounts of miles on them and driven them for YEARS with only minor problems. And I have bought brand new vehicles from "quality" manufacturers (Ford, Chevy, Honda) that were so problematic we got shed of them before we owned them a year.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
When repairs get to be a regular car payment, it's time for a new one. I try to get a min 200k miles.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I drive vehicles so long that nobody ever tries to borrow them. Shoot, I'm probably the guy you folks are selling your old stuff to. My daily pickup is a 1995, and I'm hoping it'll last till I'm dead. My backup is a 1974 Ford, and beyond that I have a 1935 Ford.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I'm at the point with my 2001 Tacoma and I love it so much that I'd rather put $25k into it than buy a new truck. I'll never own another new vehicle. Too much electronic bullshit and nanny crap being installed in most of them these days.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
100,000 miles is nothing.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Once it gets to the point where semi-major repairs are necessary to maintain the reliability of the vehicle on a too-frequent basis, then it's time to cut bait.

I bought a new 2007 Nissan Altima in April 2007. Around 215K miles in 2013, I spent almost $5K (on a car worth maybe that much) to replace the cats and take care of some other odds and ends. My rationale was that everything else on the car was in great shape and $5K breaks down to only 10 monthly $500 car payments. I knew I would be driving it longer than that, so it made sense.

I was correct.

I didn't get rid of the car until the end of June 2016 with almost 335K on the odometer. I had recently replaced the steering rack and one morning the check engine light came on and it popped into limp mode. The diagnosis was an odd sensor deep inside the engine - about $2K to fix it - if that was the problem - maybe.

One of the reasons I had held on to the car was that the engine and tranny were bulletproof. When I figured the engine might finally give out, I gave it up. I absolutely got my money out of the repairs I put in, though.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I replaced the engine in my 300K mile CRV.
$750 for another gazillion miles is less than a car payment.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I replaced the engine in my 300K mile CRV.
$750 for another gazillion miles is less than a car payment.

Yes, but a lot of people if not most, can't do that kind of repair on a car, don't have the tools, nor a weekend to do it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I factor in the impact of a breakdown also.

For my 'business' ride - reliability is a must. I frequently have appointments I cannot miss.

Also - the car for the women has to be reliable. I don't want them having a breakdown on some dark deserted road because I was a cheapskate trying to save $100 / month.

For other cars I will go the long term maintenance route...

Cars today can go 100k and still run as new. Not until they get well past 150k do you start to have concerns ime (in most cases, assuming proper maintenance).

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
All hypothetical, of course. My daily driver is only 5 years old and likely only a 1/3rd of the way through it's useful life.

I encountered a person who needed $3k worth of brake work done on a ~15 year old BMW 740. He was the original owner, car has been mostly taken cared of, and him and the wife are mostly retired and basically drive around in their new-ish Lexus. The BMW sits in the garage mostly as the backup/spare car.

If I were in his position, I'd just fix the brakes and continue driving the car. His wife, however, thinks its an eyesore and would rather get a new car.

Couldn't figure it out.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It doesn't make any sense to repair if the repairs would exceed the value of the car. There are several cars like that at my shop out in the back lot that the owners just walked away from when they heard the price. But if the car is still worth $5K, it would make more sense to spend the $2500 if you could be sure of getting at least two more years out of it. On a $40K car, $2500 is what, about four payments?

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
All hypothetical, of course. My daily driver is only 5 years old and likely only a 1/3rd of the way through it's useful life.

I encountered a person who needed $3k worth of brake work done on a ~15 year old BMW 740. He was the original owner, car has been mostly taken cared of, and him and the wife are mostly retired and basically drive around in their new-ish Lexus. The BMW sits in the garage mostly as the backup/spare car.

If I were in his position, I'd just fix the brakes and continue driving the car. His wife, however, thinks its an eyesore and would rather get a new car.

Couldn't figure it out.

A $3k repair on a 15 year old 740 is the first of MANY $3k repairs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
My daily driver is a 95 Ford F150. My secondary is a 90 Crown Victoria wagon. I plan on driving each through at least one motor change or so, maybe 20 or more years.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
100,000 miles is nothing.

Yes, depending on the vehicle. I fully expect my 2012 Tacoma to last well past 10 years and well past 200,000 miles. On the other hand, I'm getting the itch for a new one since the floor mats are worn out. Smile

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I think it really depends on if you can/will do any of the car repairs yourself. More power to you if you can, and have the time.
Some people don’t have the curiosity to learn/time and that is understandable, but also there are some folks who believe it is beneath them to work on a car (I have a few in the family with this mindset).

As with anything else, the lion’s share of cost is labor. I have a 4wd cummins diesel truck with 112K. That’s nothing for one of these engines. I recently needed to change the universal joints in the front axle. While I had it apart I replaced the upper and lower ball joints, replaced the brake rotors/pads, hub bearings and painted everything. To do this takes a ton of “labor” in a shop. The only specialty tools involved (other than necessary) are the large spindle nut socket and a decent vise.
With a parts discount, it cost me around $625.00. Fortunately these are all long-term performance replacement parts (ideally).

If you went down to the dealership/mechanic and paid to have all of this done, you might reach your $2500 in some neighborhoods.

If you are facing paying a high-priced mechanic and you have no game, in that scenario you might be better trading/selling.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2002 Chevy Impala that was my Mom's. When she passed in 2006, it was left to me. I let it sit for years just because. I couldn't drive it.
Fast forward to 2014 and I started driving it a little. It got started when it sat but it needed a few things done to it. Belts, hoses and the like. I did it myself.
No rust on it because my Mom took care of it and so do I. 118K on it right now. I know I can easily get quite a bit more out of it.
I could sell it and someone would get a very nice car but it has sentimental value to me.
I do have a 2014 Chevy Cruze but my daughter has pretty much taken that one.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
As a charter member of the drive till they are scrap iron club. My last Land Cruiser lasted 423,000 miles and was scrapped when the frame rotted away due to the salt used on the roads in the rust belt.
My beater right now is a 01 Sonoma with 250K that will be scrap in about a year due to body cancer (rust). It is reliable and needs nothing as far a repairs go, just a victim of salt.
I still have my 66 Dodge stake body with over 700K. We won't talk about the money spent on this in repairs over the years; a 2008 Caddy and 2009 Tundra.

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post