SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will someone please explain this to me...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will someone please explain this to me... Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Potassium rather than sodium.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The container is only half full. Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The container is only half full. Big Grin

Now that right there is funny. Big Grin

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Just the other day I was thinking that Morton Salt (the standard kind) is the only product that I can think of that’s packaged exactly the same as it was when I was a kid (a long time ago). Same cylindrical cardboard box, same label, same metal pull-up spout.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Does it taste as salty? Or do you need to use twice as much?

If you have heart problems, should you really be ingesting more potassium?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Does it taste as salty? Or do you need to use twice as much?

If you have heart problems, should you really be ingesting more potassium?

It's a decent substitute. By itself there is a noticeable difference in taste, but not enough for it to be noticeable on food.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of the premixed antifreeze for cars.
Half water, half antifreeze but for the same price as 100% antifreeze.
I don't know if the marketing department is that smart or the consumers that uninformed (stupid).
Maybe both.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using the low salt for 23 years now.......right after my heart attack. I see/taste no difference on food. Now the "no salt" salt is really nasty!!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heart patients that use potassium chloride in their water softeners instead of sodium chloride in an effort to reduce their salt intake.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
From link.

Potassium chloride - ..."used to cause cardiac arrest as the third drug in the "three drug cocktail" for executions by lethal injection."

Hmmm, yeah, no, I can't be the only one thinking, that can't be a good thing.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
My salt substitute?

No salt at all! Smile

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happens if you only use half as much regular salt?

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
From link.

Potassium chloride - ..."used to cause cardiac arrest as the third drug in the "three drug cocktail" for executions by lethal injection."

Hmmm, yeah, no, I can't be the only one thinking, that can't be a good thing.

Big difference between ingesting KCl and injecting it. Maybe if you had continued reading the Wikipedia page you would have seen that.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I have heart patients that use potassium chloride in their water softeners instead of sodium chloride in an effort to reduce their salt intake.

Some water systems plumb unsoftened water to the kitchen sink so you can drink unsoftened water if you want. Also helps to rinse dishes when hand washing.

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Exactly--KCl instead of NaCl. They can't just replace the NaCl entirely because it wouldn't taste right. I think there might be a potential problem with overdosing in potassium, too--the balance of sodium and potassium in the body must be maintained within certain limits for good health. Most people these days need less sodium and more potassium (I take a KCl supplement under doctor's orders), but it's a situation that needs to be monitored.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
For my patients, I have for many years recommended using less salt in cooking and in adding to prepared foods. Your palate gets used to it within a pretty short time, and then "normally"-salted food e.g. potato chips taste way too salty.
Whether due to following this advice ourselves or for another reason, neither my wife nor I have high blood pressure, whereas all four of our parents did by our age; and multiple grandparents suffered strokes.

I don't routinely advise using "Lite Salt". Most of our high blood pressure patients are on ACE inhibitors or ARB's, and those medications cause the body to retain potassium. Adding excessive dietary potassium can be dangerous with those medications.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's my solution as well. Just use less salt. I only use what's necessary to season the food. You won't find a salt shaker on the table. Matter of fact, I don't even OWN a salt shaker.

Unless I can get assault shaker, i guess.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post