SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 118
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious!

Where's the knitting needles?

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
糸で

Smile

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Razz

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Quinoa.

A vegetable with all nine of the essential amino acids. Easy to cook, and I find it to be quite tasty. Lots of dietary fiber, too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made a Spanish stew called Chilindron tonight. Big flavors and delicious! 2nd time I made it. First time I used elk meat, tonight used bison. It's a Hank Parker recipe.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Tried the Baked Feta Pasta that all the kids on the interwebs are raving about. (It's apparently the latest "viral recipe".)

It was actually pretty tasty.

Ingredients
-2 pints (17 1/2 ounces / 500 grams) cherry or grape tomatoes
-4 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
-1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
-Kosher salt
-1 block (7 ounces / 200 grams) Greek feta cheese
-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
-Freshly ground black pepper
-12 ounces medium-length dried pasta, such as campanelle, rigatoni or rotini
-Fresh basil leaves, for serving

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2) In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, combine the tomatoes, garlic and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Sprinkle with some salt and toss to coat.

3) Place the feta cheese in the center of the tomatoes and garlic, top with the remaining olive oil, and sprinkle the entire dish with red pepper flakes and a little black pepper.

4) Bake on center rack for about 40 minutes, until the garlic has softened and the tomatoes have burst their skins.

5) While the tomatoes and cheese bake, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water when draining the pasta.

6) Mash the baked feta and tomatoes in the dish with a fork or potato masher, and mix until evenly combined. Add the drained pasta, and mix with the sauce, adding the reserved pasta water as needed if it looks a little dry. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.

7) Serve with basil on top.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Tonight I made beef short ribs using the Instant Pot. It comes out so amazing!!!! Takes about two hours total from prep to finish.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Question from the Cheering Section !
We Have found some Recipe's that we want to try and the ones with wine in them always get Passed over or if we try Them without the wine (Mainly Because i had A Big Time Failure cooking with wine) Hey My Shepard Heinz 57 mix loved it.
so on with the question. What do i look for in a wine to cook with ?
I have a Scampi pasti bake that we want try and it takes white wine

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
You should cook with a wine that you enjoy drinking.

Never use "cooking wine."

That stuff is terrible.

The purpose is to get the flavor, not the alcohol, so that is removed by the heat of the cooking process, such as using wine to deglaze the pan.

Hope that helps?

ETA: SN, those short ribs look amazing!!! WOW Big Grin

Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Well that is the problem we have the only wine we enjoy is Very Sweet wines such as ice wines and usually prefer Reds

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Pasta e faglioli with homemade Italian bread to sop it up.

I've never made this before and it was dang good. Kind of an Italian chili.

Damn Gustofer, that looks awesome. I googled it and it looks fairly easy to make. I'm not much of a cook but the wife is a great cook so I'll see if she can whip some up.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I know it looks like spaghetti but it is actually Bucatini all'Amatriciana .which is simple to make and tastes fantastic made from Bucatini (thicker pasta, tomatoes, Guanciale (fantastic ~ seasoned pork cheek) and topped off with pecorino romano cheese.
Note: You can use bacon or pancetta but guanciale is the preferred choice.
Essentially this is an alternate to Spaghettis Carbonara except sub in tomatoes/sauce for the oil, onion and garlic.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Damn Gustofer, that looks awesome. I googled it and it looks fairly easy to make. I'm not much of a cook but the wife is a great cook so I'll see if she can whip some up.

Jim

I used this recipe and did half hot Italian sausage and half burger for the meat. Good stuff.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

I used this recipe and did half hot Italian sausage and half burger for the meat. Good stuff.

Thanks. Looks easy enough, plus we have all the ingredients except for the pasta.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
Well that is the problem we have the only wine we enjoy is Very Sweet wines such as ice wines and usually prefer Reds

We prefer red, as well.

For most pasta sauces and such, we pick up little four pack bottles of chardonnay. They work well for the application.

We like to make pasta with bacon, lots of garlic, and spinach. I use the chardonnay to help build the sauce...

So, not sure what issues were had previously? The sweet wines didn't work?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ersatzknarf,

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I use sweet wines like muscato, reisling, gerw, for clear / white sauces with lots of garlic since sweet goes well with garlic. I’ll use a variety of reds for rich tomato based sauces depending on who’s eating - some people like when I use Cabernet or merlot. Usually, The more herbs and richer the sauce, the deeper the wine. Others prefer Pinot or zin. Always something drinkable with the dish. Don’t need a whole bottle and don’t want leftover.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I used Cabernet Sauvignon for my pot roast back on pages 44 and 45 in lieu of beef stock. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Peanut curry chicken

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4x5,

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made absolutely nothing, except a drink. My daughter on the other hand brought home a recipe from where she works and my wife made it. Absolutely delicious pasta dish like I have never had before. Love that girl!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Oh my! Nice.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post