SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 119
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Red beans and rice, using Tigereye's recipe.

Can someone post a link to this recipe? I tried searching, but came up empty.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
From tigereye313 SIGForum 6/5/2019

I too prefer Camellia brand, but HEB's work fine too. I actually made a pot today:

With this recipe you can also slice the andouille and just throw it in the pot at the same time as the beans if you don't want to grill it.

New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
1 pound dried red beans, rinsed and sorted over
4 Tablespoons of butter
1lb chopped tasso, or chopped ham
1 chopped yellow onion
3 ribs chopped celery
1 chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne (to taste)
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1/2 pound andouille smoked sausage, split in half lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
6 cloves chopped garlic
Chicken stock, or water, sufficient qty to cover beans

Place the beans in a large bowl or pot and cover with water by 2 inches. Let soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.

In a large pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the tasso and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the onions, celery and bell peppers to the butter in the pot. Season with the salt, pepper, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft. Add the bay leaves, parsley, thyme, garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and stock or water, stir well, and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours or low and simmer for 4-6 hours, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender and starting to thicken. (Should the beans become too thick and dry, add more water, about 1/4 cup at a time.)

Slice the sausage links diagonally and grill over charcoal until very lightly charred.

Remove from the heat and with the back of a heavy spoon, mash about 1/4 of the beans against the side of the pot. Continue to cook until the beans are tender and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves.
Serve over rice with grilled sausage and garnish with green onions.

Note from Jim: I substitute ham hocks for tasso and cut the sausage into "coins" and cook it from the beginning.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^Hmm might have to make this this weekend.

I love seeing what everyone's been making. Been a small highlight to the last few weeks.

For a bunch of gun nuts, we got some chefs here.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
breakfast is my thing... 3 eggs over easy on top of 2 burger patties with acv. Shrimp. Kefir. Black coffee.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My favorite breakfast. I call them hole sandwiches, known by many names, but damn delicious.

Use a wine glass or any appropriately sized object to punch out center of slice of bread that's buttered on both sides. Grill one side, flip over fry egg in the middle, flip back for 30 seconds, I add a sprinkle of cheese and S&P, for a little extra flavor. End up with an egg fried over medium inside of grilled bread.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jim! I'm going to make this with our leftover Easter ham.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Tonight, my wife decided to name this, "Spring Pasta." It's nice, thick slices of bacon browned to a nice crisp, about six or eight cloves of minced garlic, a quarter of a head of tender spring cabbage, a pack of dried "sakura ebi" shrimp, a couple of grinds of pink Himalayan salt, a whole mess of grinds of fresh black pepper and a ladle and a half of the pasta water Smile

Protection was concealed on my hip: CZ75BD in a High Noon IWB holster Big Grin

What's up with the knitting needles? Big Grin

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Burger & Fries.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

What's up with the knitting needles? Big Grin

What?

You don't eat pasta that way?

Heathen Razz

Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Pork chops (local, raised by a coworker's sons) cooked in lemon pepper and rosemary, black beans (thank you, Beancooker), and brown rice.

Yum.

God bless America.

Posts: 13493 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have one of those new insta-pots with the air fryer lid.

I dumped a whole bag of chicken wings down in it and let it pressure cook on "chicken".

When that was done, I drained the water and sprinkled some Tony Chacherie's seasoning on them and placed the air fryer lid on.

Cooked them another 10 minutes to crispy them up and had perfect chicky wings with zero grease.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34114 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I did a beer can chicken in the pellet smoker, wasn't sure how it would do at a sustained higher heat. Turned out excellent

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Chicken wings on the Weber along with homemade pasta salad, sliced cucumbers in vinegar and a few "Sam Adams 76"

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
It may not look like much, but it tastes great...Mapo Tofu...freshly ground pork and tofu in a very spicy Sichuan type sauce served with rice.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Oh, WOW!!!!

Love mabo tofu!!!!

My wife makes it, too.

Oishii!!!

Yum Big Grin

Very nice plating, by the way Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Last night I made crispy oven baked chicken wings. I like these better than fried chicken wings from a restaurant.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Next time guys add me to the email list. No one told me it was wing night....

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
We Made Ham , Mashed potatoes and corn .
I didn't like the picture I took of the plate but here is the picture of the Meat

Posts: 1601 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Thanks, Jim! I'm going to make this with our leftover Easter ham.

My thoughts as well. Thanks Jim!

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
It's just me and the cat here.
For dinner I did a small half ham, green bean casserole, glazed carrots and some Pillsbury crescent rolls.

No pictures, but it was damned good, and plenty of leftovers for the week.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post