SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 118
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
We've been getting thicker pork and it's good but harder to make sure it's properly done. These thinner pieces are a lot closer to the right thickness, so we're getting there. Agree that too thick is an issue.

Yes, agree with natsukashii Smile

Okay, that makes sense about the sesame oil.

Yes, she makes the dashi from scratch.

OH! What a great idea! Had an absolutely delicious katsu-curry when we were visiting with dear friends this past visit. (not sure either how to spell curry in katakana)

Yum! Found a really good ramen shop near where we stayed and they had this wonderful Korean fried chicken; i just wasn't up for ramen that day and had this great fried rice and the chicken and a couple of draft beers and it was a memorable lunch Big Grin

You'll have to describe that sauce, someday, please.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Guys, I'm trying to learn but you're making things hard. Frown
I wanted to flag this issue a long time ago but I hesitated....
I'm sure you've lost almost all the others reading this thread as well.

Katsudon?
dashi?
katsukare?
natsukashii? some kind of sauce?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mini meatball subs. I didn't make the meatballs, but they were pretty good none the less.

With pasta sauce, mushrooms, green pepper, black and green olives and Italian cheese mix. Toasted on a Italian sub/hoagie bun.

I wanted something fast, easy and tasty. After a very long day of snow and ice removal, I didn't want to work too hard. I was very tasty! Sorry no pics.!

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Katsudon?
dashi?
katsukare?

My sincere apologies, Bob.

Katsudon - it's the breaded, fried pork cutlet on top of rice, with an egg.

Dashi - it's the base for soups and broths.

Katsukare - it's those cutlets and Japanese curry.

Natsukashii - it's not a sauce, it's the feeling of not having something or seeing someone for a long time; kind of a feeling of longing.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank. Maybe konata88 will follow suit. Big Grin

Jesse started this thread to share prepared meals. Recipes have been included when appropriate. But in many cases Oriental and Eastern dishes have been presented or discussed without descriptions... just unfamiliar names. Sometimes searching will provide amplification. But more often than not...nope.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Many apologies bald1. Will be more descriptive from now.

To add to what ersatzknarf said:

Katsudon: katsu is basically a Japanese phonetic version of the word cutlet. Ton (sounds more like tone rather than tun) is one way to say pork in Japanese. So tonkatsu is pork cutlet. Don is short for donburi which is basically something served over rice in a bowl; generally considered a men's meal (commoner man) as, in Japan, serving something on top of rice is generally not done, especially in the elite class. Distinction is mostly lost in modern Japan though. Katsukare (kare is the phonetic version of curry) is then (pork) cutlet with (Japanese style) curry sauce (and rice). Not sure if you have a chain store called Yoshinoya near you; or perhaps you've seen one if you've traveled to some major city. There were popular at one point serving Japanese gyudon; gyu is beef, so they sold beef over rice in a bowl. Kind of a popular, fast lunch in Japan for the working man. If you have a Japanese restaurant nearby, they may have something called oyakodon (or oyako donburi); it's very common even here in the US. This is basically parent-child rice bowl; the parent-child being chicken and egg cooked in sweet dashi (with other things like onions).

Dashi: basically a broth. A common type is made from kombu (a type of seaweed but don't really know how to explain it in English; a sheet is much thicker than paper) and likely small dried fish like anchovy or flakes of katsuo (type of tuna?); also salt or soy sauce (minimal) and sugar and sake. It can be made very light tasting and subtle or very rich; depends on how you will use it and perhaps regional preferences. Very common as the base for miso soup. Or for udon soup noodles.

Yangnyum (korean, not Japanese): not sure what it means. Maybe beancooker can help here. While I love good ol southern fried chicken, I've also grown to love Korean Fried Chicken. It's hard to describe and you need to go to Suwon to really try it. No joke - I could finish an entire chicken and at my age, I don't usually eat much any more. There are various styles and sauces but one basic yangnyum sauce (which can be used for a variety of other different dishes as well) is: minced garlic, soy sauce, sugar, gochujang (korean spicy paste, gochugaru (chili flakes), lots of green onion, sesame seeds and sesame oil. Basically you sauté the green onions in sesame oil, then caramelize the garlic a little. Then add the other ingredients; add some vinegar to brighten if desired; add some water for desired consistency. Can be used as a dipping sauce. Or as a coating like buffalo wings.

I'm just trying to learn tips from ersatzknarf and his wife. His pics usually looks delicious to me.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I'm just trying to learn tips from ersatzknarf and his wife. His pics usually looks delicious to me.

Domo arigato! Thank you so much.

I'm trying to learn too and I'm sure others appreciate the details as well. Smile
And yes, Frank and his wife certainly can put out some very appetizing dishes. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Katsudon?
dashi?
katsukare?
When I was a kid, I had a Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Domo arigato! Thank you so much.

I'm trying to learn too and I'm sure others appreciate the details as well. Smile
And yes, Frank and his wife certainly can put out some very appetizing dishes. Big Grin

Sure. I'll try to be conscious of this moving forward. But just fyi: I'm not Japanese so take what I say w/ a grain of salt. I've just come to really appreciate Japanese cuisine, both native and their take on western dishes (like tonkatsu) after having spent considerable time there. They bring out and enhance natural flavors, generally rather simply. It's like how we invest effort in making a steak taste good (simple seasoning, perfect cooking methods).

Of course I enjoy other types of cuisine. My favorite is Italian. But also French, Korean, Chinese. But at home, I'll usually make something Japanese or Italian inspired. Other cuisines generally tend to be too much effort or too complex for my simple abilities. I'll go out for other foods.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I've just come to really appreciate Japanese cuisine, both native and their take on western dishes (like tonkatsu) after having spent considerable time there. They bring out and enhance natural flavors, generally rather simply. It's like how we invest effort in making a steak taste good (simple seasoning, perfect cooking methods).

I've been to Japan twice although these visits were back in the late '70s - early '80s. I too was impressed with many of their dishes for much of the same reasons you've cited. Even in my retired years I seek to continuously expand my culinary skills. Hence my desire to learn here. Big Grin

Did some searching online about tonkatsu preparation. One site advocated twice frying the breaded pork:

"Tip #3: Double-fry
Finally, the key to great Tonkatsu is to double fry the pork. You deep fry once and let the pork sit for a bit to cook inside with remaining heat, and then deep fry again to get the ultimate crispiness."

Either of you have experience with this approach or thoughts about it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob,
That's the first time to hear about double frying a pork cutlet.

Know that is the key to properly done french fries...

However, did not see anything of the sort in the program we watched about tonkatsu and its history.

The cutlets have a panko breadcrumb coating and not sure how that would take to a second frying, whereas french fries don't have a coating like that. Panko are much larger flakes of bread than a normal breadcrumb here...

Panko should provide a nice crispy exterior with one fry operation, one would think.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank,

My first reaction was to wonder if this approach wasn't a recipe for disaster with dried out pork or burnt panko.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Your assessment and conclusion are most agreeable.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Actually, Bald1 you're right. Double fry is common. You fry once at a lower temp (to cook). Then rest. Then fry again at a higher temp (to make crispy).

It's not always done. But it's not uncommon for tonkatsu and other breaded deep fried things (croquettes, shrimp, etc). And it's not uncommon for tempura as well (depending on what's inside).

For thin cutlets, single fry at higher temp is okay. For thicker cutlets, again, not uncommon to fry at lower temp to cook, then fry again at higher temp for crisp. The second fry is quick.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Ah konata88, now that makes sense with the changing of oil temperatures and frying duration.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
BTW, I had assumed this was also done here. I do this for battered fried chicken..... Not so much for breasts but definitely for drums and thighs (bone-in). Weird?

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Okay, makes sense using two temperatures as with french fries. However, for doing at home, that's an extra step and extra time, but it solves the issue with thicker cuts.

My wife would have no patience for it...

posted Hide Post
Crockpot chili

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's cold today. I could go for some of that chili, extra spicy please. And maybe with a side of soft warm french bread.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Pork chili verde.

I have some leftover pork ribeye roast that I had smoked Monday or Tuesday (they're blurring together) so I diced that up and threw it in the crockpot.

Then, I made up a batch of salsa verde in the blender and dumped that in the crockpot.

Then, I dumped in a can of pinto beans into the crockpot.

Normally, I thin it out with some chicken or vegetable stock but I didn't this time. I'll know in an hour if that was a good or bad decision.

UPDATE: Not thinning out with stock was a great decision. The texture was perfect and both the gf and I loved it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post