SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 118
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I can be there on Tuesday.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
You are more than welcome!

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The ojiya looks good -- made w/ leftover risotto? Or did you cook the risotto in the broth? One of those fine lines again between okayu and ojiya. BTW, I've always wondered which regions in Japan use ojiya. I've always used zosui - it's rare that i hear ojiya. Is your wife from a region where ojiya is the more common term?

That seems like a very rich and diverse broth for shabu-shabu that you posted earlier. Do you add other ingredients after you're done with shabu-shabu to make a soup? Or do use an ingredient rich broth like that for shabu shabu? Do you still dip meat into the broth or do you just dump meat into the broth/soup like sukiyaki?

I've never had ingredients in the shabu shabu broth before. Interesting - I may try that someday. Usually at home, we'll make sukiyaki. I only have shabu shabu when I go out (in Japan, not stateside) - it's usually too expensive to go often. I don't make it at home because I can't get the sauces right. It's just not the same as the one the restaurants serve.

If you're dipping meat into the broth w/ all the other ingredients, what do you do about the aku? Do you leave it be? Seems like it would be hard to skim off....?

Zosui is awesome at midnight after a night of drinking..... Helps minimize the futsuka yoi. Smile

ETA: looks like some aku in the pot - so I'm guessing the pot has all the ingredients from the get go and you just dip the meat into it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
My wife made Chicken Divan

Not sure what this is. Never heard of it before. But it looks delicious. Eat it with bread? Serve with rice? Man, I'd like to try that. Looks very rich and creamy.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finishing a pot of seafood bisque with 2# of sea scallops and 4# of shrimp.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

The ojiya looks good -- made w/ leftover risotto? Or did you cook the risotto in the broth? One of those fine lines again between okayu and ojiya. BTW, I've always wondered which regions in Japan use ojiya. I've always used zosui - it's rare that i hear ojiya. Is your wife from a region where ojiya is the more common term? <no need to repost the whole thing>
konata -- I have no idea what you're talking about, but I bet that I would really enjoy going out to dinner with you and letting you order.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Likewise I’m sure Smile

What really sounds good is just meeting up at ersatzknarf‘s house for dinner Smile

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
The ojiya looks good -- made w/ leftover risotto? Or did you cook the risotto in the broth? One of those fine lines again between okayu and ojiya. BTW, I've always wondered which regions in Japan use ojiya. I've always used zosui - it's rare that i hear ojiya. Is your wife from a region where ojiya is the more common term?

That seems like a very rich and diverse broth for shabu-shabu that you posted earlier. Do you add other ingredients after you're done with shabu-shabu to make a soup? Or do use an ingredient rich broth like that for shabu shabu? Do you still dip meat into the broth or do you just dump meat into the broth/soup like sukiyaki?

I've never had ingredients in the shabu shabu broth before. Interesting - I may try that someday. Usually at home, we'll make sukiyaki. I only have shabu shabu when I go out (in Japan, not stateside) - it's usually too expensive to go often. I don't make it at home because I can't get the sauces right. It's just not the same as the one the restaurants serve.

If you're dipping meat into the broth w/ all the other ingredients, what do you do about the aku? Do you leave it be? Seems like it would be hard to skim off....?

Zosui is awesome at midnight after a night of drinking..... Helps minimize the futsuka yoi. Smile

ETA: looks like some aku in the pot - so I'm guessing the pot has all the ingredients from the get go and you just dip the meat into it.

Doing this on my phone, so will try to catch everything...

We called it risotto for simplicity sake. We added cooked rice to the broth to make it.

We're talking Tokyo area.

The broth was amazing. Started with cold water and konbu. The depth and breadth came from all the veggies that went in. The meat is dipped and shabu-shabu'd and then enjoyed with ponzu or sesame sauce, as well as the veggies.

Very good question about the aku. We skimmed most of it but there is a lot of value in it, so it's a bit of a tradeoff... we have a fine strainer ladle and use a bowl of water to clean it off.

Shabu-shabu is pretty much the same for drinking. It's more usual to dump in the rice at the end to make the ojiya, but we enjoy it with the meal, so made the risotto the next day.

Good analysis. The veggies went in after the konbu broth was started in the pot. Of course, we had them along with the meat.

You should make this at home. My wife was saying that this is not able to be done at a restaurant and this is true home flavor.

Feel free to email me, if you like.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Likewise I’m sure Smile

What really sounds good is just meeting up at ersatzknarf‘s house for dinner Smile

You both are quite welcome.

Ari, my wife said Tuesday would be fine Smile

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
my wife said Tuesday would be fine
OK, I'll bring bagels, but not pumpernickel.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ari, my wife said Tuesday would be fine

Thank you. Tuesday works for me. Tako Tuesday? Smile

Interesting - in all the time I've spent in Tokyo, I've only heard ojiya a few times. It's standard Japanese? Or something like edo-ben? Not a big deal - just curious. Smile

I'll try this homestyle shabu shabu - it'll be a first to me. I didn't grow up in Japan so I only have had shabu shabu in restuarants. Home style version is very interesting. I'd appreciate some tips on how to make various sauces. I've got ponzu but I have challenges making the other types of sauces one might find in a shabu shabu restaurant in Japan. It's also hard to find a local butcher who will cut beef shabu shabu thin. What cut do you use? I'd probably use New York - even for shabu shabu, I'd like something with lots of marbling.

But essentially this sounds very similar to sukiyaki with some minor tweaks to ingredients.

Shabu shabu, sukiyaki, yose/chanko nabe, niku jaga, buta jiru - winter is a great home style comfort food season. Smile

Been making a lot of different jige's as well.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Tonight was yakisoba!

I'm not being critical but for some reason (I don't know why), when I look at that, I want to say chow mein instead of yakisoba.

But now I'm suddenly craving Osaka style okonomiyaki. For which the closest thing around here that I can get is probably a Korean style seafood pajeon

Just now seeing this.

Interesting observation. I think we probably don't follow recipes exactly so that might be why? Funny also that chow mein and yaki soba pretty much translate into the same thing...

We make okonomiyaki sometimes and I think a lot of folks here would like it.

As for seafood pajeon, absolutely love that!!!

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
OK, I'll bring bagels, but not pumpernickel.

Ari, if you bring bagels, my wife will be ecstatic! There's smoked salmon and cream cheese waiting in the fridge Big Grin

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Chow mien and yakisoba. La mien and ramen. Prefer the latter in both cases. Translate the same but the taste is very different. But there are some great Chinese soup and dry noodles beyond these two. Beef noodle soup and jajyangmein come to mind. Also their pork mustard green noodle soup. Oh and pau moa with a side of beef xien bing (spelling?).

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Konata,
Think maybe you can start off with ponzu and "goma shabu" bottled sauces.

We're fortunate enough to have a Japanese market within an about an hour drive for the thinly sliced meat, which is sold frozen. It would be tough for a butcher to slice raw that thin. The trick is to well chill it in the freezer then slice it. You can get a circular slicer fairly reasonably.

Ojiya might be Edo shitamachi? Okayu can be made starting with uncooked rice, which might be the difference you sought?

It's flipping cold here in Michigan, right now, which might explain our sudden increase in interest in warming dishes Wink

ETA: re the above, agree that the tastes are very different!

posted Hide Post

Seafood salad.

Romaine lettuce topped with dungeness crab, shrimp, and prawns.

Served with a side of Louie dressing and fresh sourdough bread.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
EZ_B,

Is there a quarter buried under there somewhere? LOL

Seriously, looks great as I imagined it also tasted.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Steak fajitas on the new RecTeq Matador. The wok and the wok base fits over my gas fire pit and I used the Matador burner for my 15" Lodge cast-iron skillet (look in the background). Sautéed the veggies in the wok and combined it all in the cast-iron when all the skirt steak was done.

I marinated 2.5 pounds of skirt steak in Goya Mojo Criollo and Goya adobo seasoning overnight. I seasoned the veggies with Goya veggie seasoning. Best fajitas I've ever made. Wife and kid loved it!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
That looks AWESOME!!!

WOW Big Grin

(we talked about having Mexican food, but she only likes to have it during the summer...)

Very nice rice cooker, by the way Smile

posted Hide Post
Aw, man....now I want fajitas.

Those look perfect.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post