SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 118
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Cooker and I had planned on getting Mexican takeout for Valentines Day. They were closed. Last minute run to the store and picked up a flat iron steak, and some crab. Got some oysters for her too.

Made some crab cakes, grilled the flat iron, and she liked the oysters. Sorry, I didn’t take pics.

I started thinking about the total price at Fry’s and it wasn’t adding up. I saw three lines of items purchased. But the total was far less than expected. I looked at the receipt and realized the flat iron steaks were on sale for $2.49/lb. After dinner we went back and bought the six that were still left on the shelf. Pretty sweet to save $7.50 per pound.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
...the flat iron steaks were on sale for $2.49/lb.

Noah, talk about a STEAL! Best I get around here is $5.99/lb but our local beef and bison are outstanding. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Valentine's Day dinner was perfect!

Cap Steak, cooked perfectly.
Broc N Cheese.
Asiago cheese bread.
Roasted potatoes and herbs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am fixin' to put on a big pot of chili. It is overcast and windy today, with a bit of a chill in the air. Great weather for a big bowl of homemade chili!! My chili is likely a bit too hot/spicy for some of you folks, but it is just right for me.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Will get a shot with some plated leftovers later. Smile Smile

Stick-to-the-ribs goodness for sub-zero weather.

Left over pot roast! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stick-to-the-ribs goodness for sub-zero weather.

Left over pot roast! Big Grin

now your talking my language Wink

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Bald1, I can almost taste it from my screen, looking good man!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I am fixin' to put on a big pot of chili. It is overcast and windy today, with a bit of a chill in the air. Great weather for a big bowl of homemade chili!! My chili is likely a bit too hot/spicy for some of you folks, but it is just right for me.

Add some Fritos. Just crumple crush them up in the palm of your hand. Not too fine a crunch, but broken down a bit.

Frito Chili Pie is good stuff!!!

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:

Add some Fritos. Just crumple crush them up in the palm of your hand. Not too fine a crunch, but broken down a bit.

Frito Chili Pie is good stuff!!!

Did this the other day, plus some guacamole, onions, and sour cream.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
As you may have noticed from other of my posts, my spouse & I are recovering from COVID hospitalizations, and hence times are different for us.

We just ate our Valentines dinner tonight and used our new air frier to help reduce our level of stress. The lobster turned out great, the 2x baked potatoes turned out great, the filets wrapped in apple cured bacon were "ok".

We're learning how to use the frier but had a great night despite the fact it's 2.1 degrees outside and we just had about 6" of snow today.

Have a great night my fellow invisible friends!

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
h2oys,

Glad you and your bride are back home and enjoyed that great looking Valentines dinner.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
h2oys,

Glad you and your bride are back home and enjoyed that great looking Valentines dinner.

Thank you sir and a very sincere dankeschoen!

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Rubbed and smoked tri-tip with creamy peppercorn sauce, green beans with garlic and parmesan, and Sara La Fountain's potato salad recipe which turned out really good.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:

Frito Chili Pie is good stuff!!!.

I am REAL familiar with Frito Chili Pies. I survived on them in my collage days when money was short(most of the time). I keep a bag of Fritos in my freezer all of the time for just such an occasion.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Tonight was another favorite Smile

Tonkatsu (breaded, fried pork cutlets) with very finely shredded Japanese cabbage.

My wife's photo with her very nice phone:

My photo with my very inexpensive phone and very poor photography skills:

(i am made aware of this lack of skill at every opportunity, but wanted the frosty mug in the shot Razz )

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Frank, that looks very tasty. Compliments to your wife. Oh and thanks for providing the translation of what the dish actually is. You guys loose me too often with foreign dish names without descriptions. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Love tonkatsu. Now I'm hungry. I have a favorite place I always go to when in Tokyo. Have you ever tried the original tonkatsu place in Tokyo? I'm not sure if they're still open. Especially given the wuflu closures. I've always been meaning to go but may have lost my chance.

Okay - the questions and comments Smile

1) Loin or Roast? Looks like thin loin but can't tell. I usually use thicker cut roast (brined).
2) Looks like ya'll prefer Bulldog over Kagome
3) Wow, 1 tube each of karashi - you guys are serious about karashi.
4) Veggie oil? I've heard that one trick for tasty tonkatsu is to use sesame oil (or at least a good mix of sesame oil). But it's too expensive for me. I did try once and it does come out very nice.
5) Typical Japanese placement of ohashi. Across the placement rather than vertical. But why one next to the diner and one on the other side of the plate away from diner? Smile
6) The ceramic bowl looks nice.
7) I can only find the smaller panko here; I wish we could buy the larger panko like they have in Japan.

You guys seem to eat well frequently. Envy.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frank, that looks very tasty. Compliments to your wife. Oh and thanks for providing the translation of what the dish actually is. You guys loose me too often with foreign dish names without descriptions. Big Grin

Hey Bob,
Thanks. You're welcome about the translation. Thought i was doing that for the most part? If i lose you, please do let me know Smile

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Love tonkatsu. Now I'm hungry. I have a favorite place I always go to when in Tokyo. Have you ever tried the original tonkatsu place in Tokyo? I'm not sure if they're still open. Especially given the wuflu closures. I've always been meaning to go but may have lost my chance.

Okay - the questions and comments Smile

1) Loin or Roast? Looks like thin loin but can't tell. I usually use thicker cut roast (brined).
2) Looks like ya'll prefer Bulldog over Kagome
3) Wow, 1 tube each of karashi - you guys are serious about karashi.
4) Veggie oil? I've heard that one trick for tasty tonkatsu is to use sesame oil (or at least a good mix of sesame oil). But it's too expensive for me. I did try once and it does come out very nice.
5) Typical Japanese placement of ohashi. Across the placement rather than vertical. But why one next to the diner and one on the other side of the plate away from diner? Smile
6) The ceramic bowl looks nice.
7) I can only find the smaller panko here; I wish we could buy the larger panko like they have in Japan.

You guys seem to eat well frequently. Envy.

Haven't been there, but do think they are still open. There was a program on TV Japan about tonkatsu, a while back, so think they are okay. Restaurants are still open that we saw over the holidays and although they are doing what they can to slow the wuhan crud, they don't seem to be intent on destroying the economy, but i digress.

Okay, so i definitely should not have posted my photo Razz

1) Loin, basically boneless pork chops. We went thinner this time and liked it.

2) Bulldog is what's at the Japanese market. Take it you prefer Kagome brand?

3) That's one tube of mustard that is almost done and one tube that's brand new Wink

4) Yes, veggie oil. Can't imagine wasting sesame oil for this. Ouch.

5) We do the crosswise placement, but the other side of the plate. My wife put the chopsticks there so you could appreciate their aesthetic Wink

6) Thanks. They were a gift from my wife's friend.

7) Hadn't really thought about that, but think it might have to do with freshness, perhaps?

Thank you, kindly. We try. It's not always. Heck, Kroger has really good fried chicken for a very good price; lately it's been two 8 piece packs for ten bucks and that means a goodly amount of leftovers.

Speaking of leftovers, tomorrow is probably going to be katsudon Big Grin

The invitation for you and V-Tail still stands Smile

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Korean style for some reason use very thin pork, even though pork seems to be cheap and plentiful there. There is a right thickness though. Too thick and it becomes too meaty for me. The texture isn’t right. But brining and tenderizing helps modulate.

I like both bulldog and kagome. But for some reason, I’ll usually buy kagome. Natsukashii?

I imagine only a restaurant could justify using sesame oil. It makes a larger difference for tempura than tonkatsu, in my opinion.

Katsudon sounds great! Do you make your own dashi from scratch for it? Given the chill this week, I could actually go for some katsukare. (Sp?)

Funny I made fried chicken for dinner. And Korean yangnyum sauce.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post