SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 118
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Damn good steaks off a small prime rib roast my wife picked up!! Sorry I can't post pics.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered a pastrami sandwich kit from Katz’s Deli in NYC.

Got delivered today

I’m stuffed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

Edit: I saw your post on how you make these so disregard recipe request. I will try to make it tomorrow morning.

What are the round things on the side? I am thinking they are the bread holes removed for the eggs.

You guessed right on the holes. To expand a little on recipe:

Coat two pieces of bread with thin layer of room temp butter, just like you'd make grilled cheese but on both sides.

Take cookie cutter or similar, I use a wine glass and poke out holes. The idea is you want the hole large enough so that the egg you are frying just barely comes out the top of bread or is even, but not too small that it spills over into the pan, think glass filled all the way to the top. IE Texas toast = small hole, thin bread = larger hole.

Preheat pan, just like making a grilled cheese.

Grill bread on one side until the color you like your grilled cheese. Flip over bread and crack egg into hole. cook until the egg white is about halfway solid. This is when you add the punched out holes, they cook faster than the rest so you add to pan later.

This is the important part and determines end product:

Flip egg/bread over, immediately S&P and sprinkle with cheese, cover for ~30 seconds to melt cheese and cook the egg to over medium. If you like sunny side up only cook for 20-30 seconds, if you like more medium/hard cook for 30-60 seconds.

You will screw it up the first time, either too runny or too solid depending on your tastes, so only make one the first go around. Adjust from there and make second one. It only takes seconds to vary from runny to fried hard.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Edit: I saw your post on how you make these so disregard recipe request. I will try to make it tomorrow morning.

What are the round things on the side? I am thinking they are the bread holes removed for the eggs.

You guessed right on the holes. To expand a little on recipe:

Coat two pieces of bread with thin layer of room temp butter, just like you'd make grilled cheese but on both sides.

Take cookie cutter or similar, I use a wine glass and poke out holes. The idea is you want the hole large enough so that the egg you are frying just barely comes out the top of bread or is even, but not too small that it spills over into the pan, think glass filled all the way to the top. IE Texas toast = small hole, thin bread = larger hole.

Preheat pan, just like making a grilled cheese.

Grill bread on one side until the color you like your grilled cheese. Flip over bread and crack egg into hole. cook until the egg white is about halfway solid. This is when you add the punched out holes, they cook faster than the rest so you add to pan later.

This is the important part and determines end product:

Flip egg/bread over, immediately S&P and sprinkle with cheese, cover for ~30 seconds to melt cheese and cook the egg to over medium. If you like sunny side up only cook for 20-30 seconds, if you like more medium/hard cook for 30-60 seconds.

You will screw it up the first time, either too runny or too solid depending on your tastes, so only make one the first go around. Adjust from there and make second one. It only takes seconds to vary from runny to fried hard.

Thank you sir. I can’t wait to try it tomorrow.....with bacon! Big Grin

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Tonight, we made one of my favorites. I have been making Shrimp with Lobster Sauce for at least 30 years and just in the past dozen or so years have we started to amp things up, mainly because my wife loves lots of veggies Wink

So, this is our super-size Shrimp with Lobster Sauce: really XL shrimps (cuz' that's all there was at the Kroger), ground pork, Black Bean and Garlic sauce (used to make this from scratch, but it's just so much easier from the little jar), seasonings, soy sauce, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, scallions, chicken stock, eggs, and time with a HOT wok!

We'll easily enjoy this for at least two meals...

whole mess a shrimps and scrummy sauce with tons a vegables :

nicely plated by my wife (much better than me hurriedly trying to get dinner on the table) :

God Bless!!!

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Shrimp with Lobster Sauce

Frank,

I've looked and looked and looked but alas no where do I see take out delivery instructions! I am SO disappointedFrown

lololololololololololololololololol

It really looks great! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
You are too kind, Bob, my friend Smile

Carry out might be a tad far, but you are more than welcome here for a mess of victuals, when this tyranny has passed.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Eggs over easy, leftover Easter ham, grits

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

That looks Really Good!

You gave a list of ingredients, would you mind posting quantities and instructions?

You say that you have been doing it for 30 years, so you're probably on autopilot, but how about a bit of guidance for a novice?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Cube steak, gravy with sautéed onions and french green beans with Captain Morgan.

Posts: 546 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

That looks Really Good!

You gave a list of ingredients, would you mind posting quantities and instructions?

You say that you have been doing it for 30 years, so you're probably on autopilot, but how about a bit of guidance for a novice?

You are very kind and I am flattered to be asked. Be gentle, this is a first...

(this is the original recipe and i will embellish where i can)

1 pound raw shrimp in their shells (the taste is better)
1/4 cup peanut oil or flavorless vegetable oil
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or pale dry sherry (we use Japanese sake)
2 tsp fermented black beans, chopped (we use Lee Kum Kee brand Black Bean Garlic Sauce - it seems to be available even in standard supermarkets)
1 tsp finely chopped garlic (see above - we usually use two or more heaping teaspoons of the jarred sauce)
1/4 pound freshly ground pork (we use anywhere from 1/2 to one pound, so adjust the amount of the above sauce according to taste - it's the biggest flavor impact to the dish)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper (i have no idea if such a measuring spoon exists - i grind and grind pepper until it looks like a goodly amount - we LOVE pepper)
1 scallion finely chopped, including the green top (we put a bunch of scallions in - love da' veggies!)
1 cup chicken stock, fresh or canned (we are up to two cups, nowadays)
two tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 tbsp cold chicken stock or cold water (we use two heaping tbsp of cornstarch dissolved in probably a half cup or more of stock)
2 eggs, lightly beaten (we use about three or four)
(add whatever veggies you enjoy to the above - we like broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, what have you)

1. Shell and de-vein the shrimp.

2. Have the shrimp, oil, wine, pork, garlic, black beans, soy sauce, sugar, pepper, scallions, chicken stock, cornstarch mixture, and beaten eggs within easy reach (once you get rolling, there is no stopping for something forgotten!)

TO COOK: Set a wok or big skillet over high heat (for maybe ten seconds or so), then add two tbsp oil to the pan, swirl it about and heat for another 30 sec. or so, but before it starts to smoke. Drop in the shrimp and stir-fry until they turn pink, maybe not even a minute - they just need to turn pink! Don't overcook the shrimps! Stir in the wine, then remove the shrimp mixture to a plate (i use the serving bowl; a hundred year old china bowl from me gramma). Add the remaining oil to the pan and then the black beans and garlic, being very careful that the garlic does not burn (using the black bean garlic sauce, i add the pork first), then add the pork and stir-fry for two to three minutes (while breaking up the pork as finely as possible), until no longer pink. Stir in the soy sauce, salt, sugar, pepper, scallions and reserved shrimp ( at this point i add the veggies and wait to add the shrimp until later, so as to not overcook, adding the scallions later, too), then add the chicken stock (once the veggies are done as you like). Cover and bring to a boil (i don't have a cover for my wok, so no worries). Give the cornstarch a stir to recombine, then add to the pan (stir in). When the sauce has thickened, about 30 sec., pour in the beaten eggs in a slow stream, while lifting the contents gently with a large spoon, from the sides, so that the eggs merge with all the ingredients without any further cooking (you can turn off the heat, when you are doing this). Transfer the contents to a large serving bowl (heated, if possible) and serve immediately.

whew! hope i got it all. feel like i just typed a term paper Wink

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
No pictures tonight, but I made Biscuits and Gravy and over-easy eggs. Pretty damn good.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
No pictures tonight, but I made Biscuits and Gravy and over-easy eggs. Pretty damn good.

I so love biscuits and gravy. My wife thinks it is disgusting. I have never had it for dinner, but she only tolerates me making it once a month for my health. I think I will make it this Saturday. Yum!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

I so love biscuits and gravy. My wife thinks it is disgusting. I have never had it for dinner, but she only tolerates me making it once a month for my health. I think I will make it this Saturday. Yum!

B&G for dinner happens here, as well as SOS and eggs.

Did you try the Egg in a Hole?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Tonight was something not made in too long a time...

Étouffée!

Andouille sausage and shrimps... made in the crock pot Eek

sorry, after first pass from the crock pot

my attempt at plating, second pass Wink

my wife thought it quite spicy. I am more comfortable with the spice from cayenne pepper than most others.

think it was a good start for another try Smile

cajun trapped in a northerner's body Razz

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I love étouffée, but the only time I tried making it, it was a disaster. The recipe I tried started with roux from flour and butter, which I just couldn't do. Yours doesn't look like that, although pics can be deceiving.

On the other hand, yours does look delicious.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly.

Amazingly, this was the first time to make a roux using butter and my wife could taste it.

I've always made my roux using oil and can take them to very dark indeed. Once you start a roux, there's no stopping. It's constant stirring and no distractions. They say it takes about a beer to make a roux, but you might want an extra ready just in case.

The chopped trinity are used to "stop" the roux and it's important to have everything ready before you start.

It can take some practice to make a roux, but what's the worry? Smile

You know how a Cajun makes ice cream?

Well, first you make a roux Wink

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know how a Cajun makes ice cream?

Well, first you make a roux

LOL!

I did the whole stir all the time thing, but I still had to throw it out. My technique now is to go to a restaurant and let someone else do it for me.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Never give up and don't let your roux go past peanut butter color, until you get the hang of it.

Sounds like the roux burned Frown

So what? Try again!!! Smile

posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are making me hungry. Tomorrow I will smoke a pork butt. I have been looking forward to it for a couple months since I couldn't find one in a store near me.

Posts: 6842 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post