February 28, 2021, 05:18 PM
konata88
What did you make for dinner?
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Peanut chicken curry

Wow! Nice!!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
February 28, 2021, 05:19 PM
konata88
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I used Cabernet Sauvignon for my pot roast back on pages 44 and 45 in lieu of beef stock. Big Grin

I do the same. And for beef stew too. Love pot roast.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
February 28, 2021, 06:48 PM
Skins2881
I feel bad I have had anything to add recently.

Last night's dinner was fish and chips from the local grocers freezer.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
February 28, 2021, 06:48 PM
IndianaMike
most scampi Recipe's call for a white wine
March 01, 2021, 01:42 AM
Jim Shugart
I fixed a Jacques Pépin seafood omelet, as shown below. Served with a couple of slices of bacon and a very simple salad. I used oyster mushrooms, bay scallops, and was careful not to brown the omelet. The GF didn't say she liked it, probably because her mama taught her not to talk with her mouth full.

(When I see Tom Sowell and Jacques Pépin, I get a little depressed. These guys have nothing to do with each other but are very old and can't be around too much longer. The world will be greatly diminished without either of them.)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
March 01, 2021, 08:32 AM
Skins2881
Made some wings for dinner, simple yet delicious.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 01, 2021, 08:38 AM
RogueJSK
Last night was Japanese Curry Rice. I've been on a Japanese Curry kick over the past few winter months, and been trying several different boxed curry roux brands to find which one I like the best.

So far, Java Curry (Hot) is leading the pack. But the old standby of Vermont Curry (Mild) is still great comfort food for days when you don't want a lot of spice.

Haven't been all that impressed with any of the S&B sub-brands I've tried, like Golden or Tasty Curry. Kokumaro is okay, but not great.
March 01, 2021, 12:23 PM
konata88
Curry connoisseur in residency, eh? Smile

I like Japanese curry and prefer it over chinese, vietnamese and indian curry. but can appreciate thai and malay curry as they are a little different.

I'm somewhat indifferent to Japanese brands although I think I tend to buy House most. Vermont tends to be on the sweeter side for me but I'll buy it. But usually, whatever I buy, I'll tweak it at home; add a little more coriander or cumin, add a little more chili, add more salt or sugar - depends on what ingredients I'm putting into the curry and what type of rice I use.

If I'm caramelizing onions, garlic, meats for the curry, I'll also use a good butter (ie - kerrygold) instead of oil. Makes the curry seem richer and deeper. YMMV.

ETA: btw, I'll usually use beef chuck or pork shoulder, cubed in the pressure cooker and then add other ingredients and curry. One of my favorites for both taste and texture is using bone-in kalbi cut beef (beef short ribs cut korean kalbi style (3" bone with a chunk of meat on top; not the LA style kalbi with the ribs cut crosswise such that each slice has 3 1/2" bones). Anyway, I cook the beef short ribs in the pressure cooker for 45 minutes. The bones slide out easily leaving just tender meat and the connective tissue. I like the taste and texture of that. Strain out the water and use it as the soup base.

March 01, 2021, 06:13 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Curry connoisseur in residency, eh? Smile

Something like that. I do tend to eat at least one curry dish a week, even if it's just a quick Tikka Masala from a jar when I don't have time for anything fancier or more complex.

Having been married to an ex-wife for a decade who hated spicy food and whose idea of a good homemade dinner was chicken tenders and french fries, I may be overcorrecting a bit now. Big Grin

I've always loved curry dishes, but only got the occasional chance to eat them, and rarely had the chance to cook them myself.

quote:
I like Japanese curry and prefer it over chinese, vietnamese and indian curry. but can appreciate thai and malay curry as they are a little different.

I'd say Japanese and Thai curry dishes are my favorites, with Indian being a close 3rd. (I'll have to check out some Malay recipes, as I can't recall having tried any of that cuisine.)

Thai and Indian curries tend to be more complex and interesting, whereas Japanese is more like quick and easy comfort food. Like Dinty Moore that doesn't suck.

I'll have to give butter a try next time. I usually use avocado oil.
March 05, 2021, 05:30 PM
MRBTX
Broccoli beef (sirloin) and rice.

March 05, 2021, 06:09 PM
71 TRUCK
Homemade chicken and vegetable soup.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member
March 05, 2021, 07:01 PM
OKCGene
Reservations. See ya later!
March 14, 2021, 09:46 PM
benny6
First time making shrimp fried rice. It was a hit!

Now I gotta think of what I'll make for the week. Might be time to revisit the trisket...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
March 14, 2021, 10:13 PM
jhe888
No photo. I made pad kee mao, a spicy Thai noodle dish. It is also called drunken noodles.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 14, 2021, 10:36 PM
ARman
Spicy chicken and rice casserole. I didn't follow any recipe, I just threw it together with knowledge of other chicken and rice casserole recipes.

It came out great. I'll have to remember what I did. LoL....

I do a lot of my cooking like that. Throw together things that go good together in a soup or casserole. Usually turns out good.

ARman
March 14, 2021, 11:19 PM
konata88
I had Japanese style grilled fish (hokke; not sure what fish in English). French onion soup using Peru onions (didn’t like, way too sweet after caramelized). Pumpkin apple pie (bought from local apple farm). First time - basically pumpkin pie with apples and some kind of crumble up top. Good, not sweet; I don’t like pies that are too sweet beyond natural taste. I’m gonna buy some vanilla ice cream tomorrow. I think hot a la mode will go well.

Yea I know. Weird combination. It’s what I had on hand.

March 15, 2021, 09:45 AM
bald1
I believe hokke is mackerel. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
March 15, 2021, 10:08 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Good, not sweet; I don’t like pies that are too sweet beyond natural taste.

Same. I love apple pie, but I'm not really a fan of the modern-style apple pies with the sickly-sweet sticky corn syrup filling.

If you want to try baking your own "naturally sweet" apple pies, I've had success with following 18th/19th century apple pie recipes. Those are usually very simple, with minimal added sugar, and obviously no corn syrup.

There's a Youtube channel called Townsends that deals with Revolutionary War-era cooking that tends to have good dessert recipes that aren't overly sweet.
March 15, 2021, 01:25 PM
konata88
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I believe hokke is mackerel. Smile

Oh, you may be right! I never really knew. Cooked texture is different from the mackeral (saba) usually served in restaurants.

It's good eats and I only find it in Japan or Japanese stores (restaurants, grocery) so never determined an English name for it.

March 15, 2021, 01:28 PM
konata88
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Good, not sweet; I don’t like pies that are too sweet beyond natural taste.

Same. I love apple pie, but I'm not really a fan of the modern-style apple pies with the sickly-sweet sticky corn syrup filling.

If you want to try baking your own "naturally sweet" apple pies, I've had success with following 18th/19th century apple pie recipes. Those are usually very simple, with minimal added sugar, and obviously no corn syrup.

There's a Youtube channel called Townsends that deals with Revolutionary War-era cooking that tends to have good dessert recipes that aren't overly sweet.

There are apple farms in driving distance. They make all kinds of pies and such. Local supermarkets will carry frozen pies from that area. They make a no-sugar-added apple pie that's probably 6" thick filled with apples. Naturally flavorful w/o the extra sweetners - it's fantastic. But seasonal.....

As an aside - I usually buy dozens of apple fritters and apple donuts. Freeze them and enjoy for the rest of year until the farms open for the next season.