SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone buy eyeglasses online?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone buy eyeglasses online? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Why buy new frames every time?

I bought frames many years ago, and still use them. My lenses run about $360, bifocals, transition, anti glare. I don't skimp on glasses.

I do the same thing. I have two identical frames and rotate the new Rx into each.

I guess the online glasses do have the advantage of saving you money on riflescopes and high end TVs. No point in buying expensive scopes and electronics if the final filter before your eyes is a $2 piece of Chinese plastic.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess the online glasses do have the advantage of saving you money on riflescopes and high end TVs. No point in buying expensive scopes and electronics if the final filter before your eyes is a $2 piece of Chinese plastic.

I don't understand this comment.
Are you saying that if you buy your lenses online you will get a $2 piece of Chinese plastic?

Here's what I'm looking at for lenses at frames direct:
Lens Type: Progressives
Lens Material: Hi Index 1.67 $ 319.00
Lens Package: $ 99.00
Details: Standard Package includes Edge Polish with Scratch Coating, UV Protection and Premium Anti-Reflective
Promo Code (50catch): - 209.00

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:I don't understand this comment.
Are you saying that if you buy your lenses online you will get a $2 piece of Chinese plastic?

In some cases, yes.

I actually looked into this a bit (including a thread here) for a pair of cheap spares to keep in the car. What I found was quality ranges from mediocre to horrible. I decided to stay with the local optician.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Warby Parker. My daughter-in-law loves them and told me about them. I have only purchased a pair of non-prescription subglasses, but she has purchased a couple of pairs of glasses from them: good quality, good price, great service.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
At Sams I can get Zeiss or a Seiko Proceed (1.67) lens for a bit more.

I don't know what the quality of the lenses would be at frames direct but supposedly they are from a quality manufacturer.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I have used Zenni for the past 6 years. Prices were very low. Quality was mixed.
I tried several different lenses and frames, and decided on using a progressive non coated lense. Along the way I had some duds where the lenses were just not "right" or they broke very quickly in everyday use. I now replace the glasses annually, and am very happy with the optical clarity of the lense type I have decided on, however my prescriptions are fairly slight.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
1st of all, thanks to all who responded.
I looked at each of the sites and I have ordered from FramesDirect. They had the frame I liked... not cheap, but overall about $200 less than my local optical shop. So far, they've been great to work with.

OK so here's what I ordered:

Model: Ted Baker B336
Color: Tortoise (TOR)
Size: 54/17-140
Lens: Progressives
Lens Material: (1.67) Hi Index Essilor ($319.00)
Lens Package: Premium (129.00)
Add-ons: Kodak BlueReflect with Anti-Reflective
UV Protection
Edge Polish
Scratch Coating

Other Detail: $319.00
Frame Price: $155.24
Total Lens Price: $448.00

Sub Total: $603.24
Shipping Price:
(Express (UPS)) 0.00
Total Discounts/Savings: -$268.64
Total: $379.24

Now.... Let's hope that the Hi-Index Essilor lenses aren't a $2 piece of Chinese plastic!

I learned that FramesDirect, based in Austin, TX was purchased about two years ago by Essilor, a leading lens manufacturer.

Varilux® lenses: the first and still the best

The very first progressive lens, invented in 1959, was a Varilux lens. Since then, Essilor has led the way in research and development, making Varilux lenses the most recognized progressive lens brand in the industry.

-rduckwor

Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
I realize I'm late to the party, but my current frames I got from Coastal.com and would not hesitate to purchase from them in the future.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billfasttax
posted Hide Post
I've used Zenni for years and have had no problems. I am particularly hard on frames, so I keep a couple for spares. Less than half the price of progressive glasses locally.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…......WOW! WHAT A RIDE!

Posts: 765 | Location: North of Atlanta | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started using Zenni Optical over a year ago and have been very happy with their glasses and their prices.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post