SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone using gutter helmet or leaf guard or the like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using gutter helmet or leaf guard or the like? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I need to replace some gutters, thinking of just redoing them all. Does anyone have the gutter helmet or leaf guard type gutters? Do they work? Worth the money or no?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Had guards installed a couple years ago they work as advertised. My problem was soft maple and Norway maple seeds as well as the leaves.

I've got a 2 story house no way in hell im going up there so well worth it to me.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents have the solid kind that go over top of the gutter itself and the water runs over the edge into the gutter.

They're good at keeping stuff out but in the winter they get massive icicles

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the leaf guards and they work well. Keeps me off the ladder and my wife off my back.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have gutter guard.
Pro:
- the form the gutter on site to spec, no joins/seams
- it's a quality material
- generally seems to work well

Con:
- top can be damaged by ladders (had some roof work done later) which negates some of the water capture.
- if your pitch is enough, water will come fast enough to not get caught and just runs off the front. Likewise, if you have a volume of water large enough (such as a few dormers that drain together), similar result.

On the whole, I'm happy with it.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
We have what looks like gutter helmets. They were on when we bought the house, so I don't know the precise brand.

House is in a forest, essentially, and while the gutter guards are probably reducing the leaf flow into the gutters, they are not eliminating it. As SigJacket points out, another issue is what happens to water during intense rain - i.e. at times, a bunch of rain will just cascade over the gutters instead of get into them.

Translation: you will still need to have the gutters cleaned, just not as frequently. And the helmet things need to be removed to do so. Plus you will see water cascade over the gutters during heavy rains and/or where there is a steep roof pitch and lots of roof to drain.

A few years ago, in areas we had cascading activity we swapped in a few sections of porous rain guard designs - something like this

and that reduced the spillage somewhat.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I had gutter guards in my home I had in NJ. My house was surrounded by massive oak trees.
It kept the leaves out but still had to flush the gutters with water once a year. The gutters would still get what I called tree dirt/pollen in them and it would build up after time.
The guards made a big difference keeping most of the leaves out. It made it easier to clean them.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I installed this product:

Leaf Relief

Very high quality, fits the gutter perfectly. I installed them on the entire house. Only tricky part was mitering the corners properly.

I have several large oaks, and a massive honey locust that deposits shit from May til October. The only caveat is what others have mentioned, the surface of them gets crusty with pollen and such. I clean them off with a leaf blower at the end of the fall.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I replaced all of my gutters with Leaf Guard. I was tired of having to clean the gutters and it was becoming more risky as I aged. Leaf Guard works in that no debris gets inside and the water stills drains. They do get dirty over time and that reduces their efficiency. I have not tried to clean them because that is just as risky. In hindsight, I have no regrets in buying them. I doubt that the perfect gutter exists.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I had new gutters installed a few years ago and I had a leaf guard of some type installed. I had a problem with ponderosa pine needles plugging my gutter and the leaf guards seemed to help with that. The only problem is, stuff will pile up on the top of the guards and the small grit that washes from the asphalt shingles settles in the gutter which has to be flushed periodically and the leaf guard has to be removed in spots to be able to do that.

My conclusion is that they are better than no guards at all.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
My parents have the solid kind that go over top of the gutter itself and the water runs over the edge into the gutter.

They're good at keeping stuff out but in the winter they get massive icicles

We put these on our gutters probably 25 years ago. They work quite well, and have yet to have the gutters clog up. And our house is in the middle of the woods, with LOTS of 60-70 foot tall deciduous trees.

But the blessing is that I get to blow, and haul away, about 4 cubic miles of leaves every fall.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
We have what looks like gutter helmets. They were on when we bought the house, so I don't know the precise brand.

House is in a forest, essentially, and while the gutter guards are probably reducing the leaf flow into the gutters, they are not eliminating it. As SigJacket points out, another issue is what happens to water during intense rain - i.e. at times, a bunch of rain will just cascade over the gutters instead of get into them.

Translation: you will still need to have the gutters cleaned, just not as frequently. And the helmet things need to be removed to do so. Plus you will see water cascade over the gutters during heavy rains and/or where there is a steep roof pitch and lots of roof to drain.

A few years ago, in areas we had cascading activity we swapped in a few sections of porous rain guard designs - something like this

and that reduced the spillage somewhat.

I have this style on a gutter that is under a Gumbo Limbo tree, they work very well at keeping the leaves off and out of the gutter.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Gutter Helmet all the way around the house.
yes, they work excellently. Especially after we cut down all of the big aged trees on out lot and planted firs and fruit trees.
Worth the money?? We had the dough at the time and needed new gutters anyway so.......

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Had them them for years. I will go out on a limb here and say it may be the biggest work saver you could invest in.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Our house has them. They work, but if they get a lot of oak pollen sticking to them, it messes up the laminar flow and they spill out. A quick cleaning and they're all good again.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have problems with leaves but what holds me back from a leaf guard system is wondering how well they work with small maple seeds. Each spring my house is covered with a bazillion maple seeds.

Does anyone have info on how various guards work with maple seeds?

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I had the gutter brush in Birmingham for years - it worked great on leaves, but on a side of house that was jusssst close enough to pine tree to catch that it was not great. Too many got jammed up in the bristles, and there is no way they decompose as fast as needed.

For a hardwood only area, I'd try them again. Easy installation and reasonable cost.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just bought a new house that has gutter helmet that was installed by the previous owners a year or two ago.

We have massive trees all around the house, and they definitely seem to be worth it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Ramius, me boy, of course they are worth it. They came with the house. Wink

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Ramius, me boy, of course they are worth it. They came with the house. Wink

Ha! Very true. I don't think I would have paid for them myself!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post