SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your choice for a one or two cell AA task light?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your choice for a one or two cell AA task light? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I'm updating the emergency kit in the wife's car. What's your choice for a bright LED task light taking one or two AAs? This is a light that may sit unused for long periods of time, so it doesn't need to be too fancy.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
sit unused for long periods of time

Get a Lithium ion battery one. Discharge rate is much lower.

I'm a big fan of Fenix LD12 it will use AA or 14500 batteries, but you lose the brightest setting with AAs. If you order from link above use code APP10 for 10% off.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The StreamLight ProTac 1L-1AA is a good choice.

You can keep it loaded with a long-life CR-123 battery, and if you need an emergency re-load, it can use easy to find AA batteries as well.

I'm good for flashlights right now, but if I did need to buy a general purpose light, that would be my choice.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Consider a headlamp.

3 AAA at 200+ lumens with multi functions are very inexpensive. Not having one hand tied up holding the light makes the tasks easier.

If the AA requirement is firm you can find headlamps that use AA or cr-123 batteries.

They can also be used as a hand held light instead of being worn when needed.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I know there are more than few who may disagree but I personally like the Mini-Mag LEDs.

Also, might want to consider a few Chem-Lights. I have a few this are around 15 years old and they still work. Recommend considering how the different colors will "hide" certain fluid colors (a red Chem-Light does not allow red fluid to be seen).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
For a cheap flashlight seeing occasional use, a Maglight Mini Mag LED can be had for under $20.

Use Eneloop NiMH batteries, and you won't have to fear leaks--and you can just top the batteries off once or twice a year to ensure you have good cells.

Generally, if I spend more than $20 on a flashlight, then I want it to have a tail cap with a forward click, so that it can double as a tactical flashlight. My first Surefire was 100 lumens, so basic LED flashlights putting out 250+ lumens is still plenty for a tactical light. The Streamlight Protac 2AA and the Fenx LD22 both have tail switches, though I don't recall if the click switches are true tactical forward clicky switches with momentary on.

In the headlamp category, the BlackDiamond Spot headlamp is a sweet spot for capability and price. It's 25% off at most retailers right now (REI, Moosejaw, Backcountry). $29 gets you 300 lumens, infinitely variable output, a secondary white LED for close up flood light, and a red light to preserve nightvision and blinkie modes for red and white to be used as safety beacons.

Personally, for a task light to be kept in the car, I'd go with the headlamp.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Pelican lights. Priced right, well built, reliable and bright.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Like V-tail said- Protac 1L- takes a single AA or single CR123a. I have one I carry with me to work, and its my new favorite all-around light.
https://www.streamlight.com/en.../index/protac-1l-1aa

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mine's a different brand, but one of these lives in my work bag. 3 level brightness, adjustable beam, strobe & SOS settings.

Takes 3 AAA batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Portabl...KZQEAXC4ZVAANBWKH1CX

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Like V-tail said- Protac 1L- takes a single AA or single CR123a. I have one I carry with me to work, and its my new favorite all-around light.

I have one of these as well, with the same purpose Para is asking about- it stays in my truck all the time.

It's an excellent little light and the optional battery choice is very practical IMO. I have read, not tried though, that you can also use a AAA if nothing else is readily available.

Another big plus for the Streamlights is that the holsters/cases they come with are generally very good. Much better than the ones the Fenix lights come with, again IMO.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:

I have one of these as well, with the same purpose Para is asking about- it stays in my truck all the time.

It's an excellent little light and the optional battery choice is very practical IMO. I have read, not tried though, that you can also use a AAA if nothing else is readily available.

Another big plus for the Streamlights is that the holsters/cases they come with are generally very good. Much better than the ones the Fenix lights come with, again IMO.

I just tried sticking a single AAA light in there thinking “no way”, and to my suprise It actually works!!!!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/NEBO-66...&keywords=nebo+light

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I vote for Mag-Lite Solitare. Small, quality construction, $10, and you can get a battery anywhere.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for more of a penlight, you can get 3 of THESE for less than what 1 Streamlight Stylus Pro costs....and I actually like the operation of these better.
I have a these to use for misc light needs instead of the Surefire that is also in my vehicles.
Put in some lithium batteries instead of alkaleaks and call it a day.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
A flashlight that sits with my camping gear is a Coleman LED flashlight (claimed 600 Lumens) that has a "Battery Lock".
If you twist the head, it disengages contact between the batteries and the flashlight.
The theory is that it prevents leaks and battery discharge when stored over long periods of time.

When you want to use it, you twist the head clockwise and it makes contact with the batteries again.
Then you use it like a regular flashlight.
The one I have takes 4 AA cells but they have several different models.

Like this one or this one

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://www.laughingrabbitinc.com/proton-pro.html

Great light. Had one for years. The activation button is rubber and got gummy. I sent it back. They replaced the switch and sent it back with a new holster.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Another option is This one (also with "Battery Lock").

Sorry about the ginormous image.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
First Light Torq. They issue the more expensive version to Army medics (t-max). Has an emergency feature/beacon that turns the light into a strobe with flashing led’s in the event of an emergency. It can also be twisted (the head) to sit on the ground, pointed at traffic to alert them. I first bought the torq then after testing it extensively, then bought the t max pro also. Due to the grip, emergency feature, and quality I’ve switched to them 100%. The Torq uses two double a’s.

Sootch did a review of the Tmax a few years ago. The Torq is just a cheaper version of the t max, both work similarly. Bought both of mine at lapolicegear. You can probably contact my contact at First Light USA, David O’Malley. He’d probably send you a demo to try out since you own the forum. I’ve never used a surefire, streamlight, anything, made so<perfect for pistol use either.
omalley@firstlight-usa.com

https://youtu.be/DI8A55axV8I

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The streamlight looks good but did not see a price. I have a couple of LD10 Fenix lights that have been outstanding. I think the new version is an LD12. Also have a 4Seven. Very good as well.

The USA mag light for $10 is good too. I have one for a key chain light. Been excellent but not in the same class as the others.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post