SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your choice for a one or two cell AA task light?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your choice for a one or two cell AA task light? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Consider a headlamp.

3 AAA at 200+ lumens with multi functions are very inexpensive. Not having one hand tied up holding the light makes the tasks easier.

If the AA requirement is firm you can find headlamps that use AA or cr-123 batteries.

They can also be used as a hand held light instead of being worn when needed.

^^^^^^^
I agree with this recommendation. If not, the Mini-mag is an inexpensive but reliable alternative.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a Fenix E12 in all my cars in the center console, even bought one for my Mother for her car.

It's made of aluminum, runs off one AA battery, various brightness settings and for as low as 22.00 dollars up to 26.00 can't be beat.

Will cover all your needs if you need to find something that fell, or need look under the hood at night etc. Very small and light weight.

Would also recommend a RESQME The Original Keychain Car Escape Tool. It has a window punch in case your car goes in the water and it also has a seat belt cutter all for 10.00 dollars.

Posts: 966 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not an AA light, but the olight S2R is a very small but capable light.

1020 max lumens
18650 rechargeable battery
Magnetic USB charge cable (red/charge, green/complete)

Head diameter .90
Body diameter .84
Length 4.13

https://www.olightstore.com/ol...s2r-baton?search=S2r

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As has been mentioned the Streamlight 1L-1AA is a hell of a versatile piece of kit. Pop a CR123 in for raw power/shelf life. Keep a pack of 4 lithium AA’s for shelf life and battery run time and in an emergency throw in any old alkaline AA you can get. The clip allows for use as a headlamp with a baseball cap and the programability lets you set it up for how you want to use it.

It’s a durable, versatile, fairly inexpensive light.

There are a ton of options but you could do far worse than the 1L-1AA.

I own Surefires as well as some pretty high end lights and the 1L-1AA is the light that lives in my go bags.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7672 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have 5 of the Fenix E12's, and am very happy with them. I keep one in the truck, two in the garage at two different work benches, and 2 in the house. I run them with lithium AA batteries (the light uses a single AA). A very nice light. I like that it comes on at the low setting, which is low lumen but useful for most things, thus not using much battery. You can step up the lumens twice by tapping the tail switch while it is on.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The StreamLight ProTac 1L-1AA is a good choice.

You can keep it loaded with a long-life CR-123 battery, and if you need an emergency re-load, it can use easy to find AA batteries as well.

I'm good for flashlights right now, but if I did need to buy a general purpose light, that would be my choice.

This gets my vote.
I carry this light every day and the flexibility of batter options has proved helpful on a few occasions.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We do night fire training and have used a number of different headlamp task lights on the range. I am partial to 123a lithium batteries for their long shelf life. I have just had too many lights where a regular AA or AAA battery leaks after long periods on non use. Some of these lights have way more lumens than I need for task lighting-the 900 lumen Fenix makes me feel like a 747 landing and blows night vision. I do like the Petzl Zip headlamp which uses two aaa batteries and I use it a lot because it also has red light and multiple intensity settings. We also like the Petzl E+LITE headlight which is very small and only 26 lumens and has red light feature. It uses 2023 batteries which have a long storage life and is great for when you don't want too much light.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
I keep a Fenix E12 in all my cars in the center console, even bought one for my Mother for her car.

It's made of aluminum, runs off one AA battery, various brightness settings and for as low as 22.00 dollars up to 26.00 can't be beat.

Will cover all your needs if you need to find something that fell, or need look under the hood at night etc. Very small and light weight.

Would also recommend a RESQME The Original Keychain Car Escape Tool. It has a window punch in case your car goes in the water and it also has a seat belt cutter all for 10.00 dollars.

I'm a huge Fenix fan and have a bunch of them. The E12 would fit your needs perfectly. I have a couple of them, one of which is in the car. It's always a good idea to keep a couple of extra batteries in a sealed plastic bag in the glove box as well.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have four of these
https://www.harborfreight.com/...lashlight-63601.html
I keep the batteries with them , but not in them .

found them to be the best as a flood light or a flash light

they come with a hanger on the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DownIZTiN8g

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I've got a fenix E05 that is a single AAA light that I keep on my key ring. Light is excellent, battery life is great, & I use it all the time. I've had it for over 3 years now, so I've put it through it's paces. If I had to guess, I'd say that I might have gone through 5 batteries.

If you're looking for a AA version, I'd definitely consider the E12.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Fenix E12. I have several.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The Streamlight I have is the Nano that's on my keychain, so not the size you're looking for, but so far (5+ years now of EDC and being thrown around) the light has been great. Works perfectly, energy efficient, solid construction, and not expensive, etc. I'd definitely feel comfortable buying another one of their products if I had a similar need.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The StreamLight ProTac 1L-1AA is a good choice.

You can keep it loaded with a long-life CR-123 battery, and if you need an emergency re-load, it can use easy to find AA batteries as well.

I'm good for flashlights right now, but if I did need to buy a general purpose light, that would be my choice.

Man, that looks like a great little light. I think when the time comes for a new one, it'll be this one as well.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because of the stated usage, I’ll suggest something different. Nebo has a number of COB LED offerings in different sizes. I’m a fan of the Big Larry.

Magnetic base. Lots of light. Long lifetimes. Easy battery options. Strobe red option. Cheap.

I use mine a great deal under the hood, in a wheel well, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I would not hesitate to keep one in the car.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to get her the Streamlight 1L-1AA. It seems like a whole of flashlight for the money.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Whatever is chosen, use lithium batteries- alkaline batteries run the risk of corroding especially after sitting for long periods of time.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15551 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thing about AA is that if allowed to sit for a long time, the batteries will leak.

A flashlight that won't get used for a time will benefit from CR-123's, which don't lose charge or capability, have a 20 year shelf life, don't leak like alkaline batteries, and have a better power curve.

For a simple AA light, Energizer makes some good lights. I use a AAA Energizer light for the toolbox and for inspections (http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/professional-flashlights), and in my flight bag I have an AA energizer (http://www.energizer.com/lighting/vision-hd-performance-metal-led-lights)

The latter light uses 6 AA's, and puts out 1300 lumen, with a lower setting available at 220 lumens, and an advertised 19 hours. I've gotten considerably more.

For their low cost, the Energizer hardcase series of lights holds up very well.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of the Nebo Slyde King and use them almost daily M-F, the king is both a flashlight and a shop light (both LED) and has a magnetic bottom and has a built in LION battery and uses a normal android charger to charge them. Battery life is long, and aluminum bodied and around $30. They sell the standard Slide which is slightly smaller and uses 4 AAA batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/NEBO-Sl...&keywords=slyde+king

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The streamlight looks good but did not see a price.
Well, I said that my flashlight needs were covered for now, but I guess I spoke too soon.

The Fenix E10 that I have carried in my pocket for years, just died.

Looks like I'll have to spring for one of the Streamlight 1L-AA units. They seem to be going for around thirty-nine bucks just about everywhere, but there's a seller on eBay who has them for twenty-eight, shipping included, no sales tax.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post