SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your choice for a one or two cell AA task light?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your choice for a one or two cell AA task light? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to get her the Streamlight 1L-1AA. It seems like a whole of flashlight for the money.

The only shortcomings I find in the Fenix E12 are no anti-roll feature, and no pocket clip. Looks like your choice covers both of those.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
...Use Eneloop NiMH batteries, and you won't have to fear leaks--and you can just top the batteries off once or twice a year to ensure you have good cells.
for a light that will sit for long periods, if you don't get (made in japan) eneloops, you're stuck with alkaleaks and a light that may or may not work now.

for a car task light, a lantern does the trick: fenix CL20 (2 AA). you don't have to wear it on your head. you don't have to hold it in your hand / mouth. light it and sit it where you need it.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
by far my favorite of the many competing designs.

My L2P has the wire loop lanyard; either 2 CR123s or a single larger 18650 rechargable.

there's versions with multi-click lumens from 'moonlight' to 'light up the universe'; got the link from someone in a SigForum discussion several years ago. Have a pair of this model that continues to exceed expectations.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
For a simple task light I prefer a mini Maglight LED. Simple and available nearly anywhere. When I was in Mozambique helping out a missionary we lost power. This was in the middle of NO WHERE. I had my mini Maglight with me, too the head off and stuck the bottom end of the flashlight into it and set it on the table like a candle. It lit up the entire house which was pretty large easily enough to see just about anything. It ran for hours, but I don't remember how long.

Word of advice, if storing in an automobile do NOT store batteries in it. Keep them together, but separated. I had some batteries leak from keeping them stored in the light inside a hot car for years. I had to throw the who mess away.

As my ECD I carry a Surefire Titan on my keychain and will never be without it. Building I work in is freaking huge and has little natural light. When we lost power you could not see across the hallway let alone find your way out. Nearly all emergency lighting and the generator failed immediately. Emergency lights had not had batteries changed...ever!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to get her the Streamlight 1L-1AA. It seems like a whole of flashlight for the money.

Good choice. I keep this exact light in my car, my wife's car, and in our get home bags. With a spare set of batteries. This is a very versatile light as you can source AA batteries anywhere, steal them from TV remotes if you have to.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inova x2. 2x AA batteries and you get 100 hours yielding 25 lumens, or 90 minutes yielding 300 lumens. Oh, and it can be had for less than $30.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of Olight. I have replaced all of my flashlights and weapon-mounted lights with Olights.

Here's the one I think would fit the bill, Para:

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post