SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Inspector...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Inspector... Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
My son is in the process of purchasing a house. It's an older house (1962)...3000 square feet. He's going with an inspector referred to him by the realtor. I'm thinking that may not be his best option...an independent inspector who doesn't have a relationship with the realtor would be the way that I would go. It's like buying a used car and the dealer tosses you the keys and tells you to take down to HIS mechanic to be checked out. I don't know, maybe I'm being too paranoid...just want to give him sound advice.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
My son is in the process of purchasing a house. It's an older house (1962)...3000 square feet. He's going with an inspector referred to him by the realtor. I'm thinking that may not be his best option...an independent inspector who doesn't have a relationship with the realtor would be the way that I would go. It's like buying a used car and the dealer tosses you the keys and tells you to take down to HIS mechanic to be checked out. I don't know, maybe I'm being too paranoid...just want to give him sound advice.

You're not being too paranoid. I always get MY guy to inspect the house and I inspect it with him.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I didn't think that realtor were allowed to recommend an inspector. They can offer a list of local guys but can't tell you which to use

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
posted Hide Post
Here's their sales video...
https://markscaparo.pillartopost.com/inspector

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
You're not being paranoid, he should get his own guy.

Posts: 6348 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very few inspectors know/do their job correctly. But getting your own at least gives you a fighting chance.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's really a conflict of interest with the seller's and the buyer's real estate people. I'd go independent and find one that has an engineering background like I used, not just some yahoo who took a class and doesn't have a clue what he's looking at.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
You are not being paranoid.

PASig has good advice, but good luck finding one. Inspector's with an engineering background are very difficult to find.

Much like a lot of industries...if you're too good at what you do, you won't be well liked in the industry. One way to trying get someone decent would be to insist on someone qualified to do VA home loan inspections.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A structural engineer is a better choice. Local college or engineer firm may help you find one. Costs more, but....my daughter go one. He even scoped the septic system.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
posted Hide Post
The crawl space was encapsulated 2 years ago. The house was 53 years old then...not sure what that's all about.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17

posted Hide Post
Radon?

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
If you wouldn't trust using the court-appointed psychiatrist, don't trust the realtor-recommended inspector.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
The crawl space was encapsulated 2 years ago. The house was 53 years old then...not sure what that's all about.

Could be trying to control the moisture level

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I would get my own inspector. If I didn't know anyone I would start here: American Society of Home Inspectors - Find a certified home inspector

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
quote:

Could be trying to control the moisture level

Ask the seller's agent in writing for an explanation of why the encapsulation was done.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I can tell you this much. From an electrical standpoint they often miss a lot. They will gloss over the actual dangerous things or required maintenance and list BS things to be fixed.

I don't have any suggestions on how to overcome that. I can tell you what to look for based on age that will be upcoming maintenance.

1962 DOB

• Panel will need to be replaced if not done already. If it's an FPE, Sylvania, or Zinsco it will need to be replaced immediately.
  • GFI's will likely not be installed. They are required in exterior, unfinished areas, garages, kitchens, and bathrooms.
  • Hardwired, interconnected smoke detectors in all bedrooms, outside of bedrooms, and minimum of one per floor without bedrooms.
  • All outlets in house should be replaced and ensured they are properly grounded (box and outlet)
  • 55 years ago we did not have the appliances we do now, so the circuits will likely be overloaded.
  • Make sure that the microwave is on a dedicated circuit.
  • Grounding is likely not correct (unless panel has been replaced).
  • If the kitchen has been updated, check to see that there is no lamp cord going into the walls for undercabinet lights.

There are a few other issues that I see that are common, but those are the main electrical ones to check for.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
From my experience in the home building business is that most if not all "home inspectors" are not engineers. Their job is to VISUALLY inspect the house. Most will say this clearly in their reports. It's a visual inspection. They are not structural engineers, electrician, plumbers and such. If they find something beyond their scope, wrong, out of current code, not working, in need of a professional inspection/repair they will advise you to pay the expert to verify the findings.

Home inspectors can be good, ok or bad. Most I've dealt with have been good people. Reputation/referral is how they get the next job.
Shop around websites and look for reviews and referrals.

When I was with a major nationwide builder we had a local engineering company, third party, come out and do all of inspections throughout the build process. These guys were engineers. Couldn't move on to next building phase without an inspection, fix anything found wrong and final approval. These reports stayed with the house and the new buyer could see them.

If your wanting more than a visual inspection find an engineering firm that does home inspections. I'm sure it will cost more. But you could go with a normal inspection and if something beyond the scope of the inspector pops up then pay a professional to verify.

Better to spend a few bucks and know if you should go for it or just walk away. Especially an older home.

Good luck on your son finding the right house.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I met and spoke with a home inspector a couple of weeks ago who was a failed residential appraiser and a failed residential contractor, who now inspects houses.

He informed me (before knowing that I own and work for a real estate appraisal company) that it wasn't a home inspector's job to inspect for code compliance. He also informed me that appraisers are a "good-ole-boys" club, and they wouldn't let him "in" in Alaska. lol. Come to find out he was a residential appraiser in california and couldn't pass the test in Alaska. Since he let his license lapse, he was required to test under the new standards...which he couldn't meet (probably didn't have the required education). I was sure to get his company name so I could steer people clear of him...

I actually read an inspection report today that I thought was pretty well done. A new guy in the area, who did a good job. I'm not sure what his background was, but he put together a good report.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Make sure that the microwave is on a dedicated circuit.

?

Posts: 27942 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A realtor's inspector gets houses sold. They aren't worth fooling with. They get business by schmoozing real estate agents and I can't prove but I am sure many offer a kickback for referrals. I've had good ones and bad ones. A bad one sours you on the whole profession.

Here is an example of a shiftless realtors inspector. Read the licenses page and sounds pretty qualified. The testimonials are all real estate folks. Then look at the BBB page on this asshat and see what home buyers get from it.

http://www.pictureperfecthomei.../Qualifications.html

https://www.bbb.org/memphis/bu...views-and-complaints

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post