SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bodyless rattlesnake bites Texas man after it was decapitated
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bodyless rattlesnake bites Texas man after it was decapitated Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I believe it was Bear Grills who I saw advise always burying the decapitated head of venomous snakes on his old show.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Seem to recall "Old Yella" had a dog killed this way.
Severed snake heads aren't only dangerous heads:

"Jarl Sigurd the Mighty, Viking ruler of Orkney, cut off an enemy’s head and hung it as a trophy from his horse’s saddle.
Unfortunately, while riding, Sigurd grazed his leg on the severed head’s teeth and died from the resulting infection."
http://readicon.com/bizarre-vi...from-a-severed-head/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
If you live in Texas or other states with venomous snakes then you should be be educated about them. I would say the Rattlesnake is probably the least aggressive venomous snake I have ever dealt with in my life and I am in the camp that I will not kill a venomous snake unless I have to. I will absolutely never kill a non-venomous snake EVER, and I know the difference.

If you do have to kill one, then you need to know how to deal with it. Bury its head very deep so no one will come into contact with it or you are being negligent.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The instructions are clearly written all over the snake.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun Supply:
You just got to know the proper way to keel them.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/22aYCoTe-0I" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Good snake... is dead snake...

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
I believe it was Bear Grills who I saw advise always burying the decapitated head of venomous snakes on his old show.

Yeah, I think Bear learned that from my Uncle Jack, who died back when I was attending Isaac Newton Junior High School in the 1970s.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merldizzle:
quote:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/22aYCoTe-0I" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I am sorry but I disagree. Non-venomous snakes are very beneficial and harmless. When it comes to a Rattlesnake, the last thing they want to do is attack you; hence their rattler. Now when you are talking about something like a Copperhead, those bastards will come at you for nothing and not stop until you kill them.

We can disagree about snakes in general, but I will NEVER kill a non-venomous snake and I will relocate a Rattlesnake, but yes I will kill other venomous snakes I come across in my living area. If I am in nature and see one, then I will get out of the area and leave it be unless it tries to attack me, which I did have once with a CopperHead and had to kill it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by Merldizzle:
quote:

I am sorry but I disagree. Non-venomous snakes are very beneficial and harmless. When it comes to a Rattlesnake, the last thing they want to do is attack you; hence their rattler. Now when you are talking about something like a Copperhead, those bastards will come at you for nothing and not stop until you kill them.

We can disagree about snakes in general, but I will NEVER kill a non-venomous snake and I will relocate a Rattlesnake, but yes I will kill other venomous snakes I come across in my living area. If I am in nature and see one, then I will get out of the area and leave it be unless it tries to attack me, which I did have once with a CopperHead and had to kill it.

Asps... very dangerous... you go first then Stormin’ Norman. Cover your asp!

(Before I get shit on, 1 is a movie reference and 2 is a reference to a YouTube channel that goes over active self protection) don’t take life too serious. My original comment was just to say that I’m not fond of snakes, didn’t know that meant I had to have a philosophical stance as well.

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When it is necessary for me to dispatch a rattler (usually a Mohave around here), it is one CCI .22 snakeshot to the head, one and done. Then pick it up with my 42" tongs and toss it in the wash. The desert clean-up crew will take care of it.

My wife is like the cave woman on the comic strip BC.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post