SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Proper Military Uniform Display?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper Military Uniform Display? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
My wife has her grandfather's WWII uniform & is wanting to put it in a shadowbox for display.
I believe she also has his medals.

Is it proper to display the uniform with the medals in place, or to have them separate?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It think it would be better to display the actual medals apart imo. I would suggest using the ribbon bars for each corresponding medal on the uniform. Full medals are not usually worn other than on full dress uniforms on certain occasions. The actual medals can be mounted in a separate shadow box or display case in such a way as to not damage them.
edited...just wanted to add that the medals might look good in the same display but I was saying it would be better not to attach to the uniform as extended period of hanging like that would eventually stretch the ribbons from the weight of the planchet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tleo205,

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Here are some examples of medals with / without uniforms. In the end I think as long as you display the uniform / decorations with respect, it is up to the individual.

https://www.militarymemoriesandmore.com/portfolio/

Here is a WW2 example..

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there is an established protocol. I'm just making a guess. I would say have them all in the same display, with the medals and uniform next to each other. The uniform was worn by all soldiers, but the medals are specific or unique to the man.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

As said elsewhere, as long as it's done with respect, I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it.

Personally, I'd display the uniform blouse with ribbons (check references to get them in the proper order) and display the full-size medals separately. In the same shadow box is fine, but on their own backing.

Not all ribbons have a corresponding full sized medal. AFAIK, all medals DO have a corresponding ribbon.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I recently took in my grandfather's Class A uniform for cleaning. This one dates back to the late 20s when he was commissioned. The dry cleaner wouldn't touch it because near 100 year old fabric can fall apart. He also recommended I remove the medals to help preserve the fabric. I still have his uniform stored sans medals and metal insignia. I like Rhino's shadow box and will probably do something like that.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Nice looking shadowbox's RHINOWSO & PHPaul.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post