SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Does One Find a Good Employment Lawyer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Does One Find a Good Employment Lawyer? Login/Join 
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted
I have a nephew who has worked for the state of Idaho's education system for 27 years. As of last fall, he qualifies under the state's "Rule of 90" for retirement.

The "Rule of 90" says that if the sum of your years employed by the state and your age in years is equal to or greater than 90, then you get full retirement benefits.

He has documentation (pay stubs, bank records, etc.) proving that he has worked full-time for the Idaho education system in a qualified position for more than 27 years as of last fall, and he is 63 years old. But the employer (the state department of education) only recognizes 25 of those years. They seem to have "lost" a couple of years.

He felt it no big deal that they seem to have "lost" a few years (he's been aware of that for a long time), he'd be happy to work another five or ten years, and didn't plan to retire anytime soon. BUT he was told last month by his boss that they are terminating him in June due to his position going away. They (the HR office at the university where he works) have made no effort to make a lateral transfer, even though his employment reviews are excellent and he has been awarded many special recognition awards for a job well done throughout the whole 27 years. He's not a goof-ball, he's a solid citizen, reliable, conscientious, responsible. No negative reviews, no negative written counseling, no reprimands, no adverse personnel actions, ever, in the entire 27 years. It appears this all boils down to the university bean counters looking for a way to shuck responsibility for almost half of the burden of his retirement costs/worth.

The difference between the partial retirement that they are offering him and the full retirement that he should have under the "Rule of 90" is over $1,000/month. To him, it's NOT chump change. It makes the difference between living in comfort and being under constant financial stress.

I think he needs an employment/labor lawyer, stat. He agrees. But neither he nor I have a clue on how to find one in Southeast Idaho.

Anybody in this magnificent Sigforum brain trust willing to give directions on how to get hooked up with a good lawyer who specializes in fixing this kind of screw-this-guy-out-of-his-retirement hooliganism?

Thanks much in advance. You guys are GREAT!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would check with the local bar association. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
Also, if local cops are represented by a union, check to see who is their legal advisor. My FOP Lodge kept a very knowledgeable labor attorney on retainer.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the AVVO rating system and do a search under employment lawyers in your area. However, shouldn't he call his union first? Don't they provide lawyers for this sort of thing?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Check the AVVO rating system and do a search under employment lawyers in your area. However, shouldn't he call his union first? Don't they provide lawyers for this sort of thing?

Don't rely on AVVO. It's completely unreliable in terms of "ratings", practice areas, etc.

The suggestion to call a union and see if he can get a referral out of them isn't bad, but it also may not result in the best lawyer for the job. No way of telling, really.

Also, if he has his own union, I wouldn't necessarily use the union lawyer. Even in a formal grievance (which he may be required to file), the union attorney will have divided loyalties. I see it all the time. I'm talking about an actual union lawyer here, not a referral.

Honestly, sometimes it just comes down to advertising. A lawyer who knows the subject area will be better than the best lawyer in the world who doesn't practice in it at all. There should be at least one or two mid-size or large firms that focus on labor/employment issues. Find one of those.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might have better luck searching in the Boise area. It's been 20 years since I lived in the area but Pocatello and Idaho Falls don't really strike me as areas where labor attorneys would be in high demand. Another place to search might be Salt Lake City. I know there are more than a few lawyers on this forum that are licensed in multiple states, I would think that you may find a few in northern Utah.

If your nephew has pay stubs over his entire gig I would think this case would be a slam dunk. I hope it works out that way for him and I wish him good luck.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You can also get copies of tax returns,
I believe, with W-2s, 1099s, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start here, http://www.utahjobjustice.com/

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Before he gets hooked up with a lawyer I would follow JAllen's advise and get any documentation he can himself.
Also get, in writing, a statement from the state school system that outlines their reasons for denying him his proper pension.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gentlemen!

Acting on this now, will post later to let you know how it develops.

Nephew is in kind of a disbelieving funk over this. I'm thinking that's going to turn into righteous anger pretty soon. I hope a good lawyer can get this straight.

Thanks again!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Did he earn vacation or sick leave at different rates during those years? If,so, at what rate did he earn?

I doubt he has a union since Idaho is IRCC a Right-to-Work (for less) state

Did he ever receieve any offical recognition by the state for his service (anniversary gift)

How long has he made state pension contributions?

Has he kept the same bank over that career? Did he have autodeposit? Does the bank have records going back that long?

Tax returns and Tax ID of his employer from 30 years ago?

Was he ever employed by the Dept. as temporary, PT or contractor during his service?

the more info he can dig up and present to his lawyer, the better.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
In the education system, teacher pay is Computer by education level and years of teaching. Does this apply to him? If so, those missing years effected his pay for years.

Can we assume the missing years are at the start of his career? If not, when were they? Did the conditions of his employment change during the missing year period?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
In answer to some of the questions above:

• Nephew (who is actually a year older than I am -- he's the oldest son of my wife's older sister, who is 20 years older than my wife) is NOT a teacher. He is a machinist, and he works for the ISU College of Engineering and for the ISU Vo-Tech College in Pocatello.

• No, he is not a member of a union. This is Idaho; we don't unionize here. Though I gotta admit, preventing what he is encountering right now would be a pretty damned good reason to have a union.

• Don't know when the "missing years" are. He first became aware of it when he got a second 20-year service plaque two years after he got his first one. Then it happened again when he received a second 25-year service plaque two years after he received the first one. He thought that was funny. He wasn't worried about how it might affect "The Rule of 90"; still wouldn't be if the University were not pulling the rug out from under him. He'd be happy to work another five or ten years before retiring.

• Yes, he has 1040s, W2s, pay stubs (most of 'em, some are missing), and other miscellaneous documents showing continuous employment as a machinist at ISU for over 27 years.

• He's a machinist, and a good one. He is not a politician or a public speaker. He is just plain fummoxed that the system is trying to screw him, and he needs an effective advocate to speak for him. Thus the request for help in identifying a good employment lawyer in the SE Idaho area.

Thanks again!

Thanks,

Sap
  •  
    Essayons
    Picture of SapperSteel
    posted Hide Post
    Sweet Jesus!

What a difference a lawyer makes!

Now the HR folks at ISU appear to be taking my nephew seriously, or stated more accurately, now they are telling his lawyer that they recognize that his employment history DOES satisfy the "Rule of 90".

Looks like his retirement date will be 1 July, and he will be receiving full benefits as defined by the "Rule of 90".

Thanks,

Sap

Sound and Fury
    Picture of Dallas239
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SapperSteel:
    Sweet Jesus!

Now the HR folks at ISU appear to be taking my nephew seriously, or stated more accurately, now they are telling his lawyer that they recognize that his employment history DOES satisfy the "Rule of 90".

Looks like his retirement date will be 1 July, and he will be receiving full benefits as defined by the "Rule of 90".
    Real glad to hear that. Sometimes it's just knowing how to present the information to the right people.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
    There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
    Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Striker in waiting
    Picture of BurtonRW
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Sweet Jesus!

Words of wisdom right here, folks.

You should see what we can do to the value of an insurance settlement.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BurtonRW:
    quote:
    Sweet Jesus!

Words of wisdom right here, folks.

You should see what we can do to the value of an insurance settlement.

-Rob

Yeah, we're disdained (or worse), until we work for you.

OP, glad it is going well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    Sometimes, you just need to know how to say something, focus the listener's mind on important considerations, clear the air of irrelevant trivialities, leading to a fair conclusion.

I've seen this happen dozens of times.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Leave the gun.
    Take the cannoli.
    posted Hide Post
    Yup. Everyone makes fun of lawyers until they need one.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    I've never had a bad experience with a lawyer that I have hired.
    I don't know why I don't trust them (in general) or why they scare the shit out of me.
    It's not a fair assessment I know. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Traveler
    Picture of Sweden
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Excellent, I was hoping you'd provide a followup.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post