SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigforum Word of the day thread
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum Word of the day thread Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Seems lately my digital thesaurus is getting a good workout, a benefit is we get to pick up new words for our vocabulary, perhaps we can add a word from threads we have to google such as today's entry:

Puerile- pu·er·ile ˈpyo͝orəl,ˈpyo͝orˌīl/

adjective adjective: puerile
childishly silly and trivial.
"you're making puerile excuses"

synonyms: childish, immature, infantile, juvenile, babyish; More

antonyms: mature, sensible

Origin: French late 16th century (in the sense ‘like a boy’): from French puéril or Latin puerilis, from puer ‘boy.’

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea!!! We used to do this at work in my crew. We all made a decent effort of really using the word as often as it could possibly be used. Pissed off some management, some thought it was funny. Either way it, was good times and we mostly got a chuckle out of it.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1186 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Legs. Help spread the word.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMPinNYC:

Really, didn't take long, why offer up such a callow addition to the list Roll Eyes

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It pays to increase your wordpower.

Winston Churchill had a useable vocabulary estimated at over 60,000 words. The average person uses around 5,000 words.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
Scrofulous - adjective scrof·u·lous \-ləs\

1 : of, relating to, or affected with scrofula
2 a : having a diseased run-down appearance
b : morally contaminated <scrofulous characters … so quick to smear — John Garrity>

Medical Definition of scrofulous
: of, relating to, or affected with scrofula <scrofulous ulcers> <tuberculosis of lymph nodes especially in the neck>

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by NMPinNYC:

Really, didn't take long, why offer up such a callow addition to the list Roll Eyes

cal·low
/ˈkalō/
adjective
adjective: callow; comparative adjective: callower
(especially of a young person) inexperienced and immature.
"earnest and callow undergraduates"
synonyms: immature, inexperienced, juvenile, adolescent, naive, green, raw, untried, unworldly, unsophisticated; informalwet behind the ears
"she toyed with the emotions of Laughton when he was a callow and insecure young man"
antonyms: mature

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Defenstrate:

To throw out of a window.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Careful EXX you could become a logophile Big Grin

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Portmanteau: combining parts of two words to make another.
Double entendre: a phrase that can have more than one meaning, e.g., Old bikers never die, but they're hard on tires. Razz
E.g.: Exempli gratia, or for example.
Stat: short for statim, or right the fuck now. Used mostly in the medical profession, at least on TV. I think Sig Forum taught me that one.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Propinquity (prə-pĭng′kwĭ-tē)

Nearness or social kinship. "The association with Sigforum provides its members with a high degree of mutual propinquity."

[Middle English propinquite, from Old French, from Latin propinquitās, meaning near.]

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Due to my busy work schedule relocating my office I have been woolgathering, resulting in some poor choices when posting, thereby having to be patiently reminded to curtail my bouts of stupefaction. Big Grin

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Bonus points for using the word of the day in a post?

quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
Tucker's line of questioning is far from puerile.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Great Idea, the direction of this thread would be ameliorated.

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Most misused word on net- loose instead of lose. Reached epidemic levels.

Loose: Not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.
"a loose tooth"

Lose: To suffer the deprivation of:
to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I'm not solving any puerile riddles unless there is a Sig at the end!

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
bovarism

PRONUNCIATION:
(BO-vuh-riz-em)

MEANING:
noun: A romanticized, unrealistic view of oneself.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
Tucker's line of questioning is far from puerile.

And before it was the word of the day!

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Bonus points denied because the article that M-11 was responding to used puerile in a quote.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Actual bonus points for the people who start out understanding "day", along with the singular form of "word."

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post