SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help buying a puppy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help buying a puppy Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
web address is “buybostonterierpuppies.net”. Anyone familiar with them? Thanks

There is a burgeoning business in fake 'sales' of pets with COVID, and the design and content of that site - buybostonterrierpuppies.net (with two 'r's ) : typos, grammatical mistakes, the use of "USD" in the prices, bendable-esque capitalizations.... - gets every red/yellow flag going.

Either a scam, or a site run by someone achingly clueless...neither of which I'd look for in sourcing puppies. Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
I found one I think is legitimate. Abbott Kennels in Delta,Ohio. Someone please check them out on Facebook for me. I rarely use Facebook so don’t know much about it. Only ask for small deposit and approximately one hour away. Good communication with them and lots of pictures. Was able to pick the one we want from five available females. She is marked very similar to our other Boston.
Damn I could have bought that revolver I b
I must tell you something about her. She loved to go fishing. She would watch the bobber and get excited when we caught one. She had to lick the fish and when I put it in the pail she had to go look inside now she is ready to catch another one. We would fish for hours.
Thanks for your responses.
And we can get the new one in six weeks.
Damn I could have bought that revolver I have been thinking about.

If you have identified them as a likely source and they are just an hour away, I'd hop in my car and check it and the potential pups out myself.
Recommendations are better than nothing, but there's nothing like seeing them yourself.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Yea that buybostonterriers was a scam.
I wanted to go see them but Can’t see them until they are vaccinated. They are asking for $150 to hold puppy for me. Ask me to decide on a name so they can start calling it now. Hell if I lose the money I will cut back on beer. I blow that much on guns and such on a regular basis.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'd just avoid the flaky private rescue agencies and go to to the local pound / animal control.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
We just got a dog last year. Our previous dog had died 6 years earlier. We looked at specific breeds and at the local rescues. It was almost comical the list of “wants” the rescue required. There was a list as long as my arm but the one that made me guffaw out loud was the unannounced home visits after adoption. I didn’t have the heart to tell them that once I had the dog my “connection” to you nuts (albeit warm hearted and well intentioned nuts) was over. If you show up at my door you better have a cop and court papers.

We ended up getting a Corgi. My cats have all been adopted throughout my life and the adoption agencies (?) are getting odder and odder. Makes me wonder what people are doing with these dogs and cats.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Not trying to change the OP's mind at all, but I wanna say, my experience with a local Boxer rescue was fine, and I got a great dog. I see a lot of people have had bad experiences w/rescues, but it's not always that way.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Every breed has a group. I'd do a search and ask them for recommendations.

Something like this.
https://www.bostonterrierclubofamerica.org/

A link from the website above -

Find A Breeder

Sorry for your loss. Wishing you many years of fun and love with your new pup, when the right one picks you!

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took a look at Abbott Kennels on Facebook. Pretty sure it’s a puppy mill. They have Boston Terrier puppies, but they also have about 4-5 other breeds available as well. Looking at where it’s located in Delta, OH....it’s in Fulton county Ohio which looks to have several large puppy mills and some smaller ones in that county.

I would go with the post just before this one and use the breeder finder tool on that site. Usually breed specific sites like that will research breeders and only list ones that are reputable.

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
When we were looking for a Siberian, we used the AKC Registered Breeder section to find a breeder and ended up with a wonderful little girl.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
We were in a similar situation recently, having lost our beloved pooch after 12 great years. One of the hardest losses of my life.

We were set on buying a puppy of the same breed but on a whim we visited the local shelter. There were so many dogs there who need homes! We bonded almost instantly with one and adopted him that day. Meet Benny, a 10 year old labradoodle that was surrendered by his owner.

He is just a great dog! Housebroken, well trained and behaved, and just full of love. I don’t know how many years he has left, but we are going to give him as much love as he gives us. Consider adopting as an option. You might get lucky, even though the chances of finding a BT are slim to none. Maybe the process is easier here but it was a short questionnaire and two references who they called the same day.

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We have an Aussie after a lot of research. The legit breeders sell pet quality pure breeds for less than the mills sell questionable dogs.
Our second one came from some nice people that realized they had made a mistake due to their age and just wanted to find a good home for him. He came from a top breeder and cost them about two grand and was listed on a rescue site for the owners.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post