SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help buying a puppy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help buying a puppy Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
We lost our Boston Terrier of 13 years. Looking for a replacement. Have been in contact with several breeders. There is one located in Indiana whose web address is “buybostonterierpuppies.net”. Anyone familiar with them? Thanks

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Any chance you can 'rescue' a dog in need from a shelter, local Humane Society, etc.?

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
After Mrs Mike and I got married we got a pound dog, Daisy...she was my wife’s first dog. Neurotic golden Labrador...then an animal control officer called me and said she was gonna give me a hound dog some kid had abandoned when he had to move out of state or he was gonna be put down...sadly, Daisy had a crazy lump that burst open (I think it was cancer) and I had to put her down...then Hank the dog got smacked by a car during one of his escape plots and I had to do it again....ugggg....we moved and my “best friend” gave me a retarded German Shepard who doesn’t bark at people...any people....ever....unless they have other dogs.....he barks at buzzards, and butterflies so he’s just about worthless at home protection, but we love him anyway.

Don’t buy a dog, go ask friends if they have a line on a crazy K9.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just got a dog last year. Our previous dog had died 6 years earlier. We looked at specific breeds and at the local rescues. It was almost comical the list of “wants” the rescue required. There was a list as long as my arm but the one that made me guffaw out loud was the unannounced home visits after adoption. I didn’t have the heart to tell them that once I had the dog my “connection” to you nuts (albeit warm hearted and well intentioned nuts) was over. If you show up at my door you better have a cop and court papers.

We ended up getting a Corgi. My cats have all been adopted throughout my life and the adoption agencies (?) are getting odder and odder. Makes me wonder what people are doing with these dogs and cats.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that the requirements are crazy. Adopted one puppy from shelter. Made us wait 3 days. When we picked up puppy it was covered in feces. Then contracted Parvo. Spent more time dying at the Vet than in our home. Never again

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Have bought a few dogs (Australian Shepherds, and one GSD), but most over the years have been rescues of various breeds. None of the rescue groups we’ve dealt with have been nuts, but I’m sure there are plenty of nuts out there.

If a guy is stuck on Boston Terriers, I dunno if there is such a thing as Boston Terrier rescue. I’d guess not, so buying is likely the option, preferably from a reputable breeder. I dunno if there is a Boston Terrier forum or similar place to research breeders?

Good luck in finding a long time companion who will bring you much joy!

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
I agree that the requirements are crazy. Adopted one puppy from shelter. Made us wait 3 days. When we picked up puppy it was covered in feces. Then contracted Parvo. Spent more time dying at the Vet than in our home. Never again

I tried to "adopt" just one time. Filled out 3 pages of a questionnaire against my own better judgment because Mrs. Flash really wanted to do it.

Got turned down because "you don't have the slightest idea what it costs to raise and support an animal."

And they were right, I don't because I don't care what it costs, I just pay it. I told them to check with our local Veterinarian and she'd tell them that I'd just paid $5,000.00 in a vain effort to save a dog of ours, but they didn't care.

They have their standards.

And I have mine. I deal exclusively with breeders now. I won't have Mrs. Flash getting in love with an animal just to get rejected by some idiot who probably couldn't afford one of the animals herself.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Be leery of any email addy with “buy puppies” in it. Good breeders aren’t in it to sell, they are trying to perfect the breed. If they have a pup or two available, that’s a bonus for those interested in a pet.
Get on a waitlist, be patient. I know that empty spot in your heart, but try to wait for the right pup, and a good breeder. It will save you years and dollars.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
No

Seems like every time a thread like this comes up, the first thing somebody says is adopt.

Some of us don't want a rescue...

I liked your answer 9mmnut Cool

I had good results by looking in my states Pug club . It had a list of breeders who are all involved with the AKC standards.

Maybe there is a Boston terrier group in your state too. Good luck in your search.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re adoption

My grandson is adopted. My daughter said it was easier to adopt him than her black lab rescue.

There are owners groups on social media that can point you to reputable sources

Posts: 766 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Every breed has a group. I'd do a search and ask them for recommendations.

Something like this.
https://www.bostonterrierclubofamerica.org/

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
In addition to the advice given by a few previous posters, I believe AKC has a breeder locator on their website.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
As to adopting from a shelter... we tired that, but wanting a specific breed this was near impossible. Sure we could have gotten any number of other breads or mix breads but that's not what we wanted.

So, my suggestion is to check the AKC website for the breed you want and look to their approved breeders. Be prepared though, pure breeds are expensive.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
There are a number of clubs that support various breeds. A national club, then regional clubs.
Point is, they all have lists of breeders. Breeders that meet breed and club standards.
You deserve to meet the breeder, seen the kennel and have a say in the puppy you get. You deserve to know what genetic and physical problems the breed has and what the Breeder has done to test for them.
Don’t drive hours, pick up a puppy and drive off.
Don’t buy off the Internet. There are too many scammers that take your money and disappear.
We have worked with our breeder for 16 years. She’s become a friend and those of us that have pups often visit. When people buy a pup, it’s one they have met several times. They also get a puppy book with test results, X-rays, shot record, microchip, and ancestry.
Hey, it’s a 15 year commitment.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends was a Boston. There is no replacement. .
I would refer to him/her as an addition.
I struggled w/ getting another for a long time and then a cat claimed me so I advise you to hurry before the same thing happens to you. Wink
Love the Bostons.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say I can’t blame you for wanting another Boston Terrier. They’re an absolutely great breed, and I’m sorry for the loss of your 13 year old.

I don’t know anything about that site, never heard of it. After checking it out it looks like they are in the central part of Indiana. Indiana as a whole does have some hot spots for puppy mills, and it looks like there is one or two smaller puppy mills in the area code this place is at....but by and large the biggest concentration of puppy mills in Indiana are in the northeast corner. The cheap pricing does give me pause because it usually means they have a lot of puppies available and are trying to sell them to make as much money as possible.

If at all possible go there to see first hand what the place is like. If it seems legit and not a puppy mill then by all means go for it. The available puppies they have right now are adorable.

Good luck in your search.

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I found one I think is legitimate. Abbott Kennels in Delta,Ohio. Someone please check them out on Facebook for me. I rarely use Facebook so don’t know much about it. Only ask for small deposit and approximately one hour away. Good communication with them and lots of pictures. Was able to pick the one we want from five available females. She is marked very similar to our other Boston.
Damn I could have bought that revolver I b
I must tell you something about her. She loved to go fishing. She would watch the bobber and get excited when we caught one. She had to lick the fish and when I put it in the pail she had to go look inside now she is ready to catch another one. We would fish for hours.
Thanks for your responses.
And we can get the new one in six weeks.
Damn I could have bought that revolver I have been thinking about.

Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
A friend tried for months to adopt a dog from several different groups, no luck.

these groups that say they want to find dogs forever homes are bat shit crazy.

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post