SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interview Protocol Question (Job update page 2)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interview Protocol Question (Job update page 2) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

This is everything I've been looking for, and it comes with a nice vehicle as well.

As an aside, I received positive feedback on the thank you notes, I did NOT send one to the gentleman with whom I did not meet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
First, Congrats to Ronin on the new job. You deserve it. And new jobs are great.

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
You don't know him or his mom and you never met him. I would leave it alone.

As to thank you notes in general, I don't see the point. They have already judged you on your merits and a decision is probably already made. You either got the job already or you didn't. No one in the history of interviewing has gotten a job, or lost one, based on a thank you note.

If you are just a thank you note type of person and would send one for non interview related interactions with strangers then have at it. If you are sending because you think you should as part of some interview protocol then skip them all together.

Second, I think it varies by industry. I was on the recruiting committee at my last place, and must have done hundreds of formal and informal interviews over the last few years. I got every type of thank-you note. I got zero in time to influence my feedback, even if they would have (they wouldn't have). Many were generic, some picked out some bit of our conversation, some seemed like party tricks, reciting every single thing we talked about verbatim. But none changed a yes to a no or vice versa. For my current position, I got a call from the recruiter an hour after I'd left the office wanting to talk about the offer. Perhaps in a drawn out hiring process this could make a difference.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Yesterday I spent the day in Jersey (they flew me in) for final interviews with a company.

I am sending handwritten "Thank You" notes to the 7 people I met with yesterday, including the assistant I was working with the past two weeks.

Question - I was supposed to meet with the President of the company but he had to cancel at the last minute because his mom died.

Do I send him a note acknowledging that I regret missing the opportunity of meeting with him and offer my sympathies regarding the death of his mom?

--

No.

The purpose of a follow-up thank-you is to keep you fresh in their memory. If you didn't meet, you become just one more piece of mail he has to throw away. That's a negative.

I wouldn't get to carried away with thank you cards. One is a nice touch; one to everyone you met is a bit of overkill.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I always try to double check my motive for doing things like this.
If any doubt, I don't.

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Hey, congratulations!

I wish you much success and happiness.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
I always try to double check my motive for doing things like this.
If any doubt, I don't.

Agreed!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Hope this one is a better fit.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Congratulations - that's great news!

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
…and scene!

After all of the above, the offer has been extended and I have accepted. A good day today!

Back to work February 19th.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Congrats Ronin. I hope the new job is everything you hoped it would be and more.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Congrats and good luck with the move!

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
…and scene!

After all of the above, the offer has been extended and I have accepted. A good day today!

Back to work February 19th.

YES!!! Congrats Sir, with that kind of interview process I am assuming the job is lucrative, challenging, and something you are looking forward to.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Time to fire up a good cigar! Best wishes with the new job.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they truly wanted you on the team. Sounds like you felt the same way. Whatever you said and/or did to accomplish your goal was spot-on. Success feels great, doesn't it?

Congratulations & best wishes!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Best of luck with the new job. It sounds like a good fit and I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post