SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interview Protocol Question (Job update page 2)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interview Protocol Question (Job update page 2) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Yesterday I spent the day in Jersey (they flew me in) for final interviews with a company.

I am sending handwritten "Thank You" notes to the 7 people I met with yesterday, including the assistant I was working with the past two weeks.

Question - I was supposed to meet with the President of the company but he had to cancel at the last minute because his mom died.

Do I send him a note acknowledging that I regret missing the opportunity of meeting with him and offer my sympathies regarding the death of his mom?

--

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Tough one. Could go either. I’d keep to business though.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I don't see any downside.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
You don't know him or his mom and you never met him. I would leave it alone.

As to thank you notes in general, I don't see the point. They have already judged you on your merits and a decision is probably already made. You either got the job already or you didn't. No one in the history of interviewing has gotten a job, or lost one, based on a thank you note.

If you are just a thank you note type of person and would send one for non interview related interactions with strangers then have at it. If you are sending because you think you should as part of some interview protocol then skip them all together.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to thank you notes in general, I don't see the point. They have already judged you on your merits and a decision is probably already made. You either got the job already or you didn't. No one in the history of interviewing has gotten a job, or lost one, based on a thank you note.

I disagree. A few years ago I was trying to decide between two candidates. They were completely equal on paper and in their interviews. One chose to follow up with a hand written thank you note, mentioning some of the things we had discussed.

It was that extra effort, and the fact that he was obviously paying attention to what we were talking about during the interview that swayed me in his direction.

It turned out to be a very good hire.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Thank you notes in general show that you are engaged in the process one step further than some others. They don't necessarily have to be hand written, an email would suffice these days. If you interviewed with an old coot like me, a follow up thank you is a nice touch. Younger bosses don't always have the same work culture but I don't think a thank you would hurt. Only send them to people you actually spoke with.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

I disagree. A few years ago I was trying to decide between two candidates. They were completely equal on paper and in their interviews. One chose to follow up with a hand written thank you note, mentioning some of the things we had discussed.

It was that extra effort, and the fact that he was obviously paying attention to what we were talking about during the interview that swayed me in his direction.

It turned out to be a very good hire.

It sounds like a mixture of follow up and thank you, something I consider to be completely different. A solid follow up letter reinforcing strengths and addressing any questions that may be outstanding is something I would do immediately following the interview while the decision can be influenced. Snail mailing a "Thanks for the opportunity it was nice to meet you" note, not so much. And certainly not to 7 people.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I hope you get the job. Then you can swing by my place and donate all of your not jersey friendly toys into my safe.

Unless you’re coming from California. Then, enjoy your new found freedoms.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

The reason why -- (besides it's a thoughtful thing to do...) say you are neck-and-neck - absolutely tied with another candidate.

They send a thoughtful note. You do not.

They get the edge and the job IMO... because you could say they would be that way with a valued customer.

Sounds like you are doing great--

Good luck!

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Handwritten notes are worth gold (maybe now that I am older)

I would send the CEO a note expressing my regrets for not meeting them and also letting them know that you met with their staff and thought very highly of them.

heathtx

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes, absolutely.

I shows you were listening to all of what was going on around you, and given your position as a high level exec, (gleaned from prior posts) it shows you have compassion for those you work with.

I see no downside, and considerable upside.

Good luck.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Yes I would send the note but keep it very succinct and definitely steer clear of any "I know how you feel" type of language.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If you send the note to the president, choose your words carefully. That is a delicate situation and you don't want to come off as a phony. Put yourself in the presidents shoes and think how you'd feel receiving such a note from a prospective job applicant. Maybe make the tone of the note more about condolence and less about the job you are trying to get.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do I send him a note acknowledging that I regret missing the opportunity of meeting with him and offer my sympathies regarding the death of his mom?

Agree, little downside. In Jersey may not matter. Here you'd get a few bonus points. The fact that you even thought of it shows something about your character - if that's not a positive to them/him, well.....

I'd work in words to the affect of being more than happy to arrange another trip at his convenience to meet with him if he'd like.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't see any down side.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I think a note to the ones you met with would be warranted.

OTOH, unless you’ve spoken to the big boss directly already, I wouldn’t send him anything. If I was a big boss dealing with my mother’s death, a letter from an applicant I’d never met that knew my mom had died would probably piss me off.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

OTOH, unless you’ve spoken to the big boss directly already, I wouldn’t send him anything. If I was a big boss dealing with my mother’s death, a letter from an applicant I’d never met that knew my mom had died would probably piss me off.

This.

Stick to the folks that you've already met and interacted with.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

This.

That’s kinda what I’m thinking. Sure, he might think it’s nice, but he might also think that it’s not apppropriate because he’s never even met you before.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

This.

That’s kinda what I’m thinking. Sure, he might think it’s nice, but he might also think that it’s not apppropriate because he’s never even met you before.

Agree. That's a very personal, private matter to be trying to talk to a complete stranger about. I would follow up with the people you met and keep out of the owner's personal business for now. I could be completely wrong, but I feel that's not the way you want to introduce yourself to the big boss.

There's always the chance that it really rubs them the wrong way if you do it and literally zero chance of it bothering them that you, a stranger, and a hire candidate didn't offer your consolation on their recent loss of a parent.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm with the send him a short note side. I don't see any downside unless you're going to be effusive or say something like she's in a better place now which I don't think you will.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post