SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone running PFSense as a simple home firewall? (edit: went with Sophos MyUTM)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone running PFSense as a simple home firewall? (edit: went with Sophos MyUTM) Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I want to try this at home, possibly in a VM. Host machine is W10, i5 with 8GB RAM. Just looking to control things a bit for middle school/teenage boys who are starting to "wander" on the internet.

I do have spare PCs so there is a possibility I may dedicate one to PFSense and admin from another.

I will have a 2nd NIC, so no VLAN.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No but you might try Untangle .

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PFSense is a great firewall that has a ton of enterprise class features. You will probably be looking at a package like Dansguardian to install for content filtering.

Another option you have for content filtering would be opendns. This is an easier way to do what you want although it is easier to bypass if your kids are tech savvy.

Posts: 39 | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'm not running a pfSense right now, but I have in the past. They work very well, rock solid. It helps to have a little network savvy to configure optimally.

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried it but not using it now. As previously mentioned knowledge is suggested.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
I used it for a while.
Great firewall but needs in depth knowledge.

Currently I run Sophos UTM (Formerly Astaro)

It has content filtering etc built in and is free for home use.

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btgoanna:
I used it for a while.
Great firewall but needs in depth knowledge.

Currently I run Sophos UTM (Formerly Astaro)

It has content filtering etc built in and is free for home use.

I'll look into this one, thanks.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I decided to try Sophos MyUTM.

RB

Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I decided to try Sophos MyUTM.

Good choice Wink

I also use the time period definitions to shut thinks down at night.
You may also want to look at the country blocking , and application control features Wink

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post