SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternative to Adblock Plus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative to Adblock Plus Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser and use Adblock Plus. Several sites recently started popping up a warning that I'm running an ad blocker (e.g. Foxnews.com), but so far it's just annoying and website works fine with Adblock Plus enabled.

However, a few sites are actually not allowing access until Adblock Plus is disabled, and page reloaded. Kbb.com is an example of this.

I like my privacy and browsing is more enjoyable without all of the ads. Any suggestions for an ad blocker not susceptible to being detected by websites?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
I use uBlock Origin (free download) with Firefox and have had very few problems. Your issue is why I dumped AdBlock Plus several months ago.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Rather than dump AdBlock Plus, I dump any website that tells me to disable AdBlock.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm running AdBlocker Ultimate here with Waterfox (64-bit Firefox version) and dumped Adblock Plus some time ago for problems such as you've cited.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rover88:
I use uBlock Origin (free download) with Firefox and have had very few problems. Your issue is why I dumped AdBlock Plus several months ago.
Thanks! I uninstalled Adblock Plus, installed uBlock Origin, and just tested kbb and foxnews. Zero annoying ad blocker pop-ups and both worked w/ zero intervention on my part.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Ublock also lets you get super specific regarding what it will block.

I've found the adblock detection scripts from a few sites and blocked those as well. Takes a little investigation, but it works great.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Rather than dump AdBlock Plus, I dump any website that tells me to disable AdBlock.

This. I run uBlock Origin. Some really desperate media sites are detecting it now. I have come to realize that I don't need to read LA Times no matter how cool Drudge thinks the story is.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
uBlock Origin won't take your money, but that is not the only reason that I use it.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rover88:

+1

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Does uBlock work with MS edge?

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Adblock Plus: "Let's make some money off of this."

Ghostery: "Let's make some money off of this."

uBlock: "We stole your code, and we're going to make some money of of it."

uBlock Origin: "We block both ads and adblocker blockers and and don't accept donations."

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm using uBlock Origin. Only thing I miss about ABP was it had a plug-in that would allow me to block specified image URLs.

When a site detects I'm using an advert blocker and asks me to disable it for them, I'm inclined to do so. It isn't adverts that bother me, so much as too many & too distracting.

I had to abide by this plea, yesterday Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
uBlock Origin is like a free Cisco router for your web browser. There is a learning curve with uBlock Origin, but as you cannot see, what plea?

Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm using uBlock Origin. Only thing I miss about ABP was it had a plug-in that would allow me to block specified image URLs.

uBlock has that, but it lets you get super specific with it and it's built in, not a plugin?

Have you right clicked on an image and launched uBlock? It will highlight the resource and you are free to edit it before you click save.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ah, ok. Thanks, guys.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post