SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21 Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Michigan 3rd and 14: Charbonnay right up the middle, stopped cold. Tell me Gaddis called that. Roll Eyes

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Goodnight TTUN looks absolutely horrible! Lol. First time I’ve seen them play in a few weeks.

Edit: TTUN showing some fight in the 4th. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PowerSurge,

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good game. PSU pulled it off even though their defense wasn't clicking. They weren't horrible by any means but they let Michigan move the ball.
See what happens next weekend with OSU/Wisconsin.
I'll be ready.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
This was Michigan's best game, not only for this season, but in a long time. They dominated in the second half, offensively and defensively. Patterson had his best game ever. Had Bell not dropped a ball that hit him right on the chest in the end zone, which would have sent the game into overtime, Michigan would have won. They had the momentum.

(BTW, I wished I could kick the cameraman right in the ass who locked on Bell crying on the sideline. Mad)

Still, Harbaugh persists in stupid stubbornness. Patterson threw deep only one time, to Nico Collins, and it was a 40 yard gem (called back by a penalty.) That was the only time he was allowed to throw deep in the whole game. In other games, again, great success with long balls-- but only one or two, per game-- and usually none.

Bizarre calls by Harbaugh. A field goal attempt from 58 yards?? The ball didn't miss, it never even arrived, bouncing just barely in the end zone. Third and long and dive plays up the middle?? Which go nowhere.

Michigan's player talent was on full display last night, and so was their inept coaching. If this game dispirited them, ND will beat them next week, maybe badly. But ND has had a soft schedule, playing only one strong team, Georgia-- and Georgia beat them. If the Michigan players are feeling their oats, aware that they should have won, only tOSU will beat them in the remainder of the schedule.

In short: Michigan has great players on offence and defence, and a numbskull coach.

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 8 Wrap-up:
  • #4 tOSU @ NWU on BTN on Friday night (Oops, it's already 4th qtr) - The Wildcats were in it through the 1st quarter, but the Buckeyes exploded for 24 points in the 2nd quarter and never looked back.
  • #6 WI @ IL on BTN at 11:00 - Boy was I wrong on predicting the Badgers to win and cover the astounding 30.5 to 31 point spread. Hats off to the Illini and Lovie Smith for their "signature win." I was watching the Purdue game and kept being amazed WI wasn't blowing them out, and I switched over to see the outstanding finish. In addition to being out of the playoff hunt, I think Jonathan Taylor's fumble in the 4th quarter on the Illini 25 took him out of the Heisman hunt. The Illini capitalized on the fumble and scored a TD 4 plays later.
  • Purdue @ #23 IA on ESPN2 at 11:00 - I was correct on Hawkeyes winning but failing to cover. Hawkeye offense scored more than 18 for the first time since September and their defense completely shutdown Purdue's running making them 1 dimensional. Purdue hung in there and the gaggle of freshman starters are looking better every week. I can't wait until Rondale Moore is back because teams are going to have to choose between double covering sophomore All-American Moore or freshman sensation David Bell.
  • #20 MN @ Rutgers on BTN at 2:30 - I was correct on MN winning but wrong on them failing to cover. I never thought I'd be typing this in 2019, but the Big Ten West title is the Golden Gophers to lose. PJ and staff have really put together a heck of a season.
  • IU @ MD on BTN at 2:30 - I was correct on IU winning, neutral on the spread as they tied the 6 to 6.5 point spread, and I only saw an excerpt of IU's overly emotional coach so I don't know if he cried or not but he sure looked on the verge of tears again. Only saw glimpses of the game and highlights, but it looked like a good back and forth game. That makes IU's 5th win so if they win next week they'll be bowl eligible in October which has not happened since 1993.
  • #16 UofM @ #7 PSU on ABC at 6:30 - I was right on the Nittany Lions winning, and neutral on the spread since they tied the 7 to 8 point spread. It was on at the same time as the Astros (ALCS Champs!) so I didn't watch any of this game. From the highlights, it looks like PSU got off to a 21 point lead and let UofM back in the game. PSU is quietly off to a 7-0 start, but they still have 3 tough road games at MSU, MN, and tOSU.

Kudos:
  • tOSU O-Line - the big fellas gave the QBs plenty of time to toss 5 TDs (even the back-up threw a TD), and opened holes for 279 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs. Only gave up 1 sack.
  • tOSU defense - pure domination. NWU QB had a QBR of 8.6 (compare to tOSU's Fields' 91.6) and only passed for 42 yards and both NWU QBs threw INTs. Surprisingly only had 1 sack and 5 QB hurries. NWU's "offense" run/pass ratio was slightly above 2:1 and tOSU held them to 157 yards.
  • tOSU QB Fields - The young man threw for 194 yards and 4 TDs with 0 INTs. He did fumble twice and tOSU retained possession but it's something to keep an eye on against tougher competition.
  • IL placekicker McCourt - he missed a 40 yarder earlier in the game, but was clutch with his game winning 39 yard FG as time expired.
  • IL players and coaches - nobody had a statistically significant game so it was truly a team effort to topple #6 WI.
  • IA defense - held Purdue to 33 yards rushing which was 1.8 yards per carry. On pass defense they gave up a lot of yards, but they also forced a fumble after a reception and had an INT and both of those stopped nice Purdue drives.
  • IA receiver Smith - 9 receptions for 106 yards. Literally the only one on IA offense with a statistically significant game.
  • MN placeholder Casey O'Brien. The redshirt sophomore is a 4 time cancer survivor who overcame the odds and played his first college football game. Since being diagnosed with bone cancer at age 14 he has had 14 surgeries which included a knee replacement and lung surgery.
  • MN QB Morgan - added to his awesome 2019 stats with 245 yards passing, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, and 0 fumbles.
  • MN RB Smith - averaged 5.8 yards per carry for 111 yards and 2 TDs, and averaged 12 yards per catch for 24 yards receiving.
  • IU RB Scott III - averaged 6 yards per carry for 108 yards and 2 rushing TDs, and averaged 7.2 yards per catch for 36 yards receiving.
  • PSU RB Clifford - youngster threw for 3 TDs and rushed for another with 0 INTs and 0 fumbles.
  • PSU WR Hamler - averaged 18 yards per catch for 108 yards and 2 TDs. He even had a 40 yard kick return. I imagine UofM is kicking themselves for letting this Pontiac, MI, (less than 50 miles from the Big House) native get away.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Karmanator
    Picture of Chance
    posted Hide Post
    I grew up in Champaign and sold football programs at the UofI stadium for yeas as a kid so it was a ton of fun watching the Illini pull of the upset.

I can't believe that MN (where I went to school) is 7-0. You watch the game and think: they aren't too impressive - and then all of a sudden they are up by 40. No matter what the rest of the season holds this has been a ton of fun.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    PSU WR Hamler - averaged 18 yards per catch for 108 yards and 2 TDs. He even had a 40 yard kick return. I imagine UofM is kicking themselves for letting this Pontiac, MI, (less than 50 miles from the Big House) native get away.

He ran a kick off back for about 100 yards into the end zone-- called back for a hold.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Purdue's David Bell has been named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week for a second consecutive week. Rondale Moore was Big Ten freshman of the week 3x last year. Like I previously posted, I cannot wait until Rondale is back because teams are going to have to choose between double covering sophomore All-American Moore or freshman sensation David Bell.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Two big games that could go either way. Penn State v Michigan State: Penn State has a bad habit-- they fade. They have done this in every game this season, even blowout wins. Only luck saved their butts against Michigan, when a Michigan receiver in the end zone dropped a ball that hit him in the chest. Sooner or later, this flaw is bound to catch up with you, so I'm picking Michigan State to beat Penn State in E. Lansing. Penn State opens strong, jumps out to a lead, and then goes to sleep.

Michigan versus Notre Dame: Michigan lost last week, but they played their best game of the season, especially their quarterback. This will be a very close, back-and-forth game, but I think Michigan will pull it out. A key factor will be whether Harbaugh lets Patterson throw downfield, something he has not done-- with only a few exceptions-- all season. That also opens up the run for Patterson, and he is a pretty good runner. In short, if Harbaugh is stubborn and plays 1950s between the tackles football, ND will win. If he lets Gaddis run the offence, Michigan will win.

Scores, just for the fun of it:

Michigan State 35, Penn State 24.

Michigan 20, Notre Dame 16.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    All 14 teams are playing this weekend. Although, it's 8 games instead of 7 due to 2 non-conference games. As with all non-conference games, I only make predictions on games that interest me (e.g. Rutgers doesn't interest me).

Week 9 Predictions (all times Central time):
  • #13 WI @ #3 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox - depending on which odds service you believe the Buckeyes are 14 to 14.5 point favorites. 8 days ago this game likely would've had a tiny point spread, and everybody has likely over responded to WI's loss to IL. They only have one team in common, and they both whooped the Sparties. As far as other competition, WI has faced a tougher schedule so far and first year tOSU head coach and starting QB hasn't been in this big of a game before. I'm admittedly biased since I want a Big Ten team in the playoffs. Another factor is the weather is 50 and raining so it'll be shitty passing weather so who can rush most effectively will be the difference maker. I'm going with the Buckeyes winning but failing to cover.
  • #20 IA @ NWU at 11:00 on ESPN2 - depending on which odds service you believe the Hawkeyes are 8 to 10.5 point favorites. Hawkeyes win and cover.
  • IL @ Purdue at 11:00 on BTN - my Boilermakers are unanimously 9.5 point favorites. 8 days ago, I would've not given this game a minutes thought and posted that we're gonna thump them chumps. However, the Illini beating WI is giving me pause. MN is only common opponent and the Illini got whooped and Purdue was in it right up until the last minute. It's 44 and raining so the Illini have the rush offense advantage and Purdue has the rush defense advantage. Purdue wins but fails to cover.
  • #6 PSU @ MSU at 2:30 on ABC - depending on which odds service you believe the Nittany Lions are 4 to 6.5 point favorites. It'l likely be low 50s and raining by game time. PSU has a better rush offense and rush defense, but part of the rush offense advantage is due to the deep ball threat to KJ Hamler. If weather takes that away, you're looking at a PSU offense where their RB is marginally more effective rushing than the QB. I'm going with the upset (i.e. Sparties win).
  • MD @ #17 MN at 2:30 on ESPN - depending on which odds service you believe the Golden Gophers are 15.5 to 16.5 point favorites. The Golden Gophers offensive line is bigger than the MN Vikings offensive line. It's supposed to be low 50s and sunny so weather won't be a factor (lucky break for MD's front 7). Only common opponent is Rutgers and they were the usual fodder for both teams. MD is too inconsistent so I'm going with MN to win and cover.
  • IU @ NE at 2:30 on BTN - depending on which odds service you believe the Cornhuskers are 0.5 to 2.5 point favorites. Only common opponent is tOSU and both teams got taken behind the woodshed. I'm just plain biased against the Hosers (Purdue alumni) but I'm going to ignore that this week. IU pulls off the upset.
  • #8 Yoder Dame & the Fighting Amish @ #19 UofM at 6:30 on ESPN - the odds services are torn over this one as 1 has the Amish winnning, 1 has it even, and 2 have the Wolverines winning. This was a huge game growing up as I was raised a Notre Dame fan and 1/2 of my family are UofM fans. However, I predict I'll be watching the Astros game and won't see any of this live.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

•  
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    ^^ C'mon tatortodd, even if you don't watch it, you have to make a call on the ND v UM game. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
    O-H
    C'mon you know you want to. Just kidding.
    Good game. Wasn't thrilled with Fields getting pressured so much.
    Chase was a beast. Dobbins looked good also.
    Michigan State lost. Now about to see if Michigan will win or lose.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by justjoe:
    ^^ C'mon tatortodd, even if you don't watch it, you have to make a call on the ND v UM game. Big Grin
    ND wins by 7

Membership has its privileges
    Picture of P-220
    posted Hide Post
    Go Blue!!!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Kuglespritz
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by justjoe:
    ND wins by 7

Cool
    Go Blue. Great game tonight.

Posts: 754 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P-220
    posted Hide Post
    Oh hell yeah!!!

It has been a tough couple of decades for us U of M fans.

Great to see this WIN.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P-220
    posted Hide Post
    Boooooom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Blue!!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Facts are stubborn things
    Picture of armedprof
    posted Hide Post
    Kudos to TTUN. I love to see Notre Dame fail.

Chase Young is the best player in College Football. If there ever was a purely defensive Heisman given out, he deserves it. Just Wow.

The rest of the season for the Buckeyes is going to be fun.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    I typically drive over for one game/year and it was a stunningly beautiful day in Lincoln yesterday. The Huskers wore an alternate uniform that honored the Blackshirt tradition. The offense played well enough to win. The defense dishonored their Blackshirt brothers and played without ferocity. They couldn’t generate a pass rush and the DBs played a soft coverage that allowed Indiana’s QB to survey the field and find a receiver with 10-15 yards of clear space around him—time and again. Special teams is a horror show. Piss poor special teams play alone may have been reason enough for Nebraska to lose.

I still have faith in Scott Frost to get this program turned around. I’m not so sure about some other coaching staff members. As Scott Frost said (paraphrasing), “This team continues to search for new, creative ways to lose a football game. Just OK is not OK.” I’ll add that I’m still hoarse following yesterday’s game; I can’t help but feel that I cared more than many of the players.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 9 Wrap-up:
  • #13 WI @ #3 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox - I was correct on Buckeyes winning but wrong on them failing to cover. Dominant performance on both sides of the ball. tOSU controls their own destiny to both the Big Ten Championship and playoffs. The only real flaw was tOSU gave up 5 sacks and 6 tackles for loss.
  • #20 IA @ NWU at 11:00 on ESPN2 - As predicted, Hawkeyes won and covered. Nothing flashy on offense but effective. Hawkeyes defense deserves some credit, but a big factor is NWU's offense is awful as they have only scored 11+ points once this Big Ten season (15 vs WI).
  • IL @ Purdue at 11:00 on BTN - I was wrong on winner and spread. Purdue's offense was painful to watch. I knew their lack of running game was going to bite them in the ass and yesterdays rainy weather took away the pass leaving them with their paltry 3.1 yards per carry rushing offense. The Illini defense scored as many points (pick 6) as Purdue's offense. Purdue's defense wasn't bad and giving up 17 pts would normally be a win.
  • #6 PSU @ MSU at 2:30 on ABC - boy was I wrong about this game. PSU dominated the Sparties. They were pretty even as far as yardage, but PSU converted their yards to points and turned the ball over less (Nittany Lions were +3).
  • MD @ #17 MN at 2:30 on ESPN - I was correct on MN winning and covering. Nobody had a statistically significant game on offense so it was a team effort to put up 45 points. MN's defense discussed in kudos. MN is in the driver's seat for winning the West and has a bye week before their first test against an upper echelon team, PSU.
  • IU @ NE at 2:30 on BTN - As predicted, IU pulled off the upset. The Hosers gave up a shit ton of yards and points, but won the turnover battle and were more effective at converting yards to points. IU is bowl eligible in October for the first time since 1993. IU's coach cried after the game (again) so he's definitely a cryer.
  • #8 Yoder Dame & the Fighting Amish @ #19 UofM at 6:30 on ESPN - very glad UofM whooped the Amish and my cousin is eating a lot of crow from running his mouth so much. It ended the Wolverine's 8 game losing streak to top 10 teams. Pretty impressive that the two teams combined to throw 5 TDs and 0 INTs in a very wet game. Can't say the same for fumbling as both teams put the ball on the ground 3x, but the difference was UofM retained possession in all of their own fumbles and took possession of 2 of ND's fumbles.

Kudos:
  • tOSU RB Dobbins - he had more offense than the entire Wisconsin team. 163 yards rushing, 8.2 yards per carry, 2 rushing TDs, 48 yards receiving, and 0 fumbles.
  • tOSU QB Fields - youngster threw for 167s, 2 passing TDs, 0 INTs, 0 fumbles, rushed for 28 yards, and 1 rushing TD.
  • tOSU defense - held former Heisman candidate Taylor to 2.6 yards per carry for 52 yards, held the remaining Badgers to 31 yards rushing, and held them to 108 yards passing.
  • tOSU defensive linemen Young - 5 tackles for a loss, 4 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles. He is amazing to watch.
  • IA defense. Only team to pitch a shutout against NWU this season.
  • PSU TE Freiermutch - the sophomore had 3 TDs on 5 receptions and 60 yards.
  • PSU defense. Had a shutout going until giving up a garbage time TD. Forced 2 turnovers on fumbles and 2 turnovers on INTs.
  • MN offensive line - the hogs paved the way for 321 yards rushing and 4 rushing TDs. They protected their QBs (plural) by giving up 0 sacks and 0 hurries which allowed 177 yards passing and 2 passing TDs.
  • MN defense - Yesterday was a dominant performance. Held MD to 131 yards passing, 79 yards rushing, snagged 2 INTs including a pick 6, and had 2 sacks. To put in perspectivethis season, this season MD is averaging 5.3 yards per carry and 191 yards rushing, but yesterday had 3.4 and 79.
  • IU QB Ramsey - it was supposedly a game time decision whether he'd get the start and he made the most of the opportunity. 351 yards passing, 2 passing TDs, 42 yards rushing, and 1 rushing TD. Only negative was he threw 1 INT which NE turned into a TD 6 plays later.
  • UofM's defense. Held ND to 47 yards rushing and 0 rush TDs, and teamed up with the weather to hold ND to 133 yards passing. Besides the fumble recoveries, they also made a difference with 2 sacks and 5 hurries.
  • UofM's offense. 3 passing TDs from 134 yards passing, 3 rushing TDs from 303 yards rushing. The o-line deserves much of the credit for the offense's success (e.g. 5.3 yards per carry vs ND's 1.5). Not all of the credit goes to the players either since the coaches had an excellent game plan.

Bowl Eligibility:
  • 7 teams are already bowl eligible. tOSU, PSU, and MN all have 8 wins. UofM, IU, WI, and IA all have 6 wins.
  • 7 teams are theoretically still able to make a bowl. MSU, NE, and IL all need to win 2 of last 4 games. MD needs to win 3 of last 4. Purdue, Rutgers, and NWU need to win rest of games.

•