SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Here they are in both the AP and the Coaches Poll at #20. Roll Eyes
I'm shocked as well. My Dad is a UofM fan and he was shocked too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
6 Big Ten match-ups this weekend and 1 bye week (IL) and 1 non-conference cream puff game (IA).

Week 5 Predictions (all times Central time):
  • #12 PSU @ MD on FS1 - I bet y'all $100 that PSU wins by 59 Wink. The spread was 6.5 points and over/under was 61 points so Vegas really blew it, and I forgot there was a Friday game so I didn't post in time.
  • NWU @ #8 WI on ABC at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Badgers are 23.5 to 24.5 point favorites. The Sparties manhandled the Wildcats last weekend, and the Badgers have even better offense and defense. The Badgers head coach is merciful and won't run up the score too much (e.g. turned off the jets midway thru 3rd qtr when up 35 on MI) so I'm going with Badgers win but don't cover.
  • Rutgers @ #20 [cough]bullshit[/cough] UofM on BTN at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Scarlet Knights are 27.5 to 28 point favorites. In all seriousness, the spread is correct but the Wolverines are the favorites. I never thought I'd be writing this, but on paper UofM and Rutgers are pretty close with UofM having a very slight advantage. UofM wins but fails to cover.
  • IU @ #25 MSU on BTN at 2:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Sparties are 14 to 14.5 point favorites. The Hosers have a slight edge on offense, and the Sparties have a big edge on defense. I think MSU's offense awakened last week so combine that with their dominate defense I'm going with Sparties to win and cover.
  • MN @ Undue Purversity (name of a cartoon in student newspaper when I was a Purdue student) on ESPN2 at 2:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Gophers are 1 to 1.5 point favorites. The offensive statistics are in Purdue's favor if Sindelar is cleared to be starting QB (missed last week's game on concussion protocol and latest is Brohm is hopeful), but the offense statistics are strongly in MN's favor if Sindelar doesn't start. Purdue has played much tougher non-conference opponents (NV, Vandy, and TCU) and hopefully that pays off in preparation for the Big Ten season. I'm going with the Spoilermakers to make their first appearance so they'll win (i.e MN can't cover).
  • #5 tOSU @ NE on ABC at 6:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Buckeyes are 16.5 to 17 point favorites. Should be the best game of the weekend. Taking down a perennial powerhouse in front of the long-suffering faithful in Lincoln is the exactly what NE hired Frost to do and this is his first opportunity. However, I think it'll take a couple more years of recruiting to make up for the past for this to have much odds of occurring. tOSU's passing offense is impressive and the Cornhusker pass defense has not been impressive. On defense, tOSU really gets after the quarterback so NE's sophomore QB will have to be accurate passing on the move, and it's been 11 months since he has seen a secondary with this much closing speed. Martinez had a big game last year as a freshman and they only lost by 5 so I'm going with tOSU to win but fail to cover.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I would not be surprised if UM loses this week.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Please God let OSU lose.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Moving cash
    for money
    posted Hide Post
    https://twitter.com/barstoolsp...988123348914176?s=19

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
    Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
    Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Too funny and I'm amazed that it's not Photoshop either (i.e. they really are wearing khaki pants). For those of you who don't want to click a link to Twitter:

posted Hide Post
    Come on NW!!! Way to hang as a big under dog. Both sides are in a defensive battle.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    Northwestern must've watched and learned a few game tapes, because they've done a helluva job today. Badgers can't get anybody open downfield, and their key players are quintuple-teamed it seems like.

Luckily, the Badgers D is hitting on all cylinders

ETA: Okay, the Badgers special teams coordinator has some work to do. A couple muffed punt/kickoff receptions, one for a turnover, and the 2nd week in a row they couldn't field an onside kick.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Well it was nice while it lasted. Damn NW. Keep working on it.

Moving cash
    for money
    posted Hide Post
    Thank you the assist tatortodd. Was not able to get a pic or screenshot on my mobile. Even as a dyed in the Blue Wolverine fan that was funny. I don’t care who you are. And anything is better than the neon green MSU uniforms.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
    Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
    Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Damn! Purdue Heisman candidate Rondale Moore and QB Elijah Sindelar went out in the same play. Moore's looked like an ACL Frown

posted Hide Post
    I know this is a Big 10 string and we have talked about this before Tatortodd. But, the ‘Clones blew that game.

Picture of was0311
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by C-Dubs:

Luckily, the Badgers D is hitting on all cylinders

They looked fantastic.

Unfortunately the Huskers can it even make it a game.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    O-H

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1054 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    I didn't watch the Michigan game, but I did see highlights, and a couple of things of note. The offensive coordinator Josh Gattis was on the field, not up in a booth, and I think it might have been the first game he was allowed to call. Michigan was actually throwing the ball, instead of lining up in shotgun and running it up the middle.

It could be that after Wisconsin demolished Michigan, the brass at U of M athletic department issued some changes, chief among them that Gattis would put together the Michigan offensive plan and call the plays.

Player for player, Michigan has a ton of talent. Up to now they have also had very bad coaching from Harbaugh. We'll see what they can do next week against a real opponent.

Meanwhile, I watched the first half of Ohio State destroying Nebraska. They look like national champions to me.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by lbsid:
    O-H

I-O
    Great game and I was curious how Fields would do against a better Big10 team.
    Spartans are next and that should be good also. Hopefully.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 5 Wrap-up:
  • #12 PSU @ MD - My post game prediction that PSU wins by 59 was dead-on Wink. Nice bounce back from sneaking by Pitt the week before.
  • NWU @ #8 WI - I was correct with the Badgers winning but don't covering. I thought the offense would put up big numbers considering MSU put up big numbers on NWU's defense the week before. Honorable mention kudos to Taylor for what would be a great day for anybody else (119 yards rushing, 1 rushing TD, averaged 5.0 yards per carry, and 3 receptions), but that is below average for him.
  • Rutgers @ #20 UofM - Now that is what the #20 team is supposed to do to Rutgers. Utter domination on both sides of the ball. I was correct on UofM winning but wrong on failing to cover.
  • IU @ #25 MSU - I was correct on the Sparties winning but wrong on covering. Game was much closer than the score since MSU scored 9 of those points with 5 seconds left in the game. As a Purdue alumni, I did get a chuckle out the Hoser coach yammering at the press conference about players crying in the locker room. Honorable mention kudos to MSU kicker Coughlin who was 2 for 2 in the 4th quarter including the go ahead one with 5 seconds left so it was nice to see his confidence back after the previous 2 lousy weeks (only honorable mention because he did miss a 43 yard attempt on the opening drive).
  • MN @ Undue Purversity (name of a cartoon in student newspaper when I was a Purdue student) - I was wrong on both winner and spread. Damn that was painful to watch between the injuires (more on that) and our God awful pass defense. Purdue's injury cart no longer needs a driver as it can self-drive its way to the locker room with an injured player. Defense was already hampered by co-captain LB being out for the season and star d-lineman O'Neal being out, and yesterday the offense took 3 big lumps with losing their starting QB Sindelar and all-american WR Moore on the same play and a few minutes later lost a starting o-lineman. A glimmer of hope in freshman back-up QB Plummer (245 yards passing, 2 TDs, and 8 rushes) who looked much better than against TCU, and the Boilermakers did score 28 of 31 points without Sindelar and Moore. Rumor mill has Sindelar being out for the season and I haven't found a diagnosis on Moore (I still think ACL but some are opining MCL). Hats off to PJ and the Gophers who have Purdue's number.
  • #5 tOSU @ NE - I was correct on tOSU winning but wrong on failing to cover. I knew tOSU would put up big numbers on offense, but I thought NE would also put up big numbers too. The Buckeyes dominated every aspect of this game. Still think Frost needs 2 more years of recruiting to make up for the Riley era to be competitive against the Big 3 in the East.

Kudos:
  • PSU's offensive line. The hogs paved the way for 198 yards rushing with 5 rushing TDs, 421 yards passing, and gave up 0 sacks.
  • PSU's defense. MD has scored 60+ points twice this season so it's impressive to pitch a shutout against them.
  • PSU QB Clifford. Young man was 26 for 31 passing for 398 yards and 3 TDs. Also was their leading rusher for 54 yards and a TD.
  • WI's defense. Dominating performance other than giving up two 4th quarter TDs when they were up 24-3.
  • UofM's offensive line. The hogs paved the way for 141 yards rushing with 5 rushing TDs, 335 yards passing, and only gave up 1 sack. Absolute domination of the line of scrimmage.
  • UofM's defense. They had been maligned all season so it was nice to see them pitch a shutout.
  • UofM QB Patterson. Young man was 17 for 23 passing for 276 yards and 1 TDs. He also had 4 carries for 3 TDs.
  • MN QB Morgan. 396 yards passing for 4 TDs and 0 INTs. He was super accurate too with completing 21 of 22.
  • MN WR Bateman. Snagged 6 catches for 177 yards and 2 TDs. I can't find his yards after catch statistic but it was exceptional.
  • MN RB Smith. 22 carries for 115 yards and a TD and a catch for 20 yards. He really helped run out the clock in the 4th keeping Purdue's offense off the field.
  • tOSU's offensive line. The hogs paved the way for 368 yards rushing with 3 rushing TDs, 212 yards passing. Only negative was giving up 3 sacks.
  • tOSU's defense. Their pass defense was dominate giving up 47 yards, 0 TDs, 4 sacks, and snagging 3 INTs. Their rush defense held NE to 184 yards and only 1 TD.
  • tOSU QB Fields. Young man was 15 for 21 passing for 212 yards and 3 TDs. Also had 72 yards rushing and 1 TD.
  • tOSU RB Dobbins. Didn't get any TDs but his 177 yards on 24 carries (7.4 yards per carry) moved the chains and kept drives alive allowing others to score.

•  
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by justjoe:
    Meanwhile, I watched the first half of Ohio State destroying Nebraska. They look like national champions to me.
    Not sure on winning it all yet, but they sure look a well positioned contender to be in the playoffs. Talking heads are predicting that tOSU jumps from #5 to #2 this week.

Facts are stubborn things
    Picture of armedprof
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by lbsid:
    O-H

I-O

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Facts are stubborn things
    Picture of armedprof
    posted Hide Post
    tOSU Line play on both sides of the ball was amazing. The O Line gave up 3 sacks, but all three were because Fields had a week to find a receiver and could not locate one. My only critique of his performance is holding the ball too long...and that is being really nitpicky because he played a heck of a game.

I keep hoping for Nebraska to return to their historical winning ways. I think they are close but they seem mired in the same muck Indiana has experienced over the last couple years. Close to OSU level talent, but not quite.

All Ryan Day has to do is continue what he started and add in not letting the team read the news...

Go Bucks.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post