SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21 Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
armedprof
Facts are stubborn things

posted September 29, 2019 11:17 AM Hide Post
tOSU Line play on both sides of the ball was amazing.

Absolutely. This was not, say, Rutgers that they were playing. Nebraska was expected to present a challenge to tOSU. (This is one reason U of M is always overrated: they dominate mediocre and weak opponents. Harbaugh left his first team in the whole game, I believe, to run up the score.) But tOSU's O line blew Nebraska back 3, 4, 5 yards, consistently, all the first half that I watched.

I'm not a betting man, but-- barring injuries-- my money would be on tOSU from here to the end.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Interesting news out of West Lafayette and Oxford this week, BUT notice the dates (players in the first game are currently between 4 and 8 years old):
quote:
Purdue and Ole Miss Agree to Football Home and Home
We’ll be waiting a while on this one.

By Travis Miller @JustTMill Sep 27, 2019, 4:22pm EDT

In recent seasons Purdue has upped its scheduling when it comes to non-conference football games. This year featured Vanderbilt and TCU, while Syracuse, Oregon State, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and more are in the offing coming up. We also have the conclusion of home-and-homes with Virginia Tech, TCU, and Vanderbilt. Today Purdue announced another home-and home with an SEC team: the Ole Miss Rebels.

This one is waaaaaaaaay out there, as the latest game we had scheduled before this was the return game at TCU on September 14, 2030. The first open date we even have is the 2027 season where we are at Notre Dame and we host Miami (OH). 2028 also has a single open date (at Wake Forest, home for Notre Dame) that will likely be filled with a MAC-ish opponent, while 2029 has the return game with Vanderbilt and two open spots.

In looking at Ole Miss they are full through 2023 and has nothing past 2026, so I am not sure why we’re looking at 14 years out for this. My goodness, this game is so far out my son could be playing in it, and he is a first grader.

Purdue and Ole Miss have played once. Purdue won 27-7 on November 9, 1929 in West Lafayette. Who knows, this could be a conference game by then when he Big Ten and SEC merge.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Rutgers fired its football coach, Chris Ash, this afternoon.

https://www.pennlive.com/penns...ement-candidate.html

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Monday update on Purdue's QB Sindelar (broken clavicle and already had surgery) and All-American WR Moore (non-disclosed diagnosis but out this upcoming weekend). More details here.

EDIT:
Hammer and Rails is reporting that Moore is a hamstring injury not knee injury

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Part of me still thinks the Gophers will crash and burn but I will take a 4-0 start. Smile

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Michigan v. Iowa at noon today, from the Big House. It's Michigan's Homecoming.

If Michigan's offensive coordinator is on the field and seems to be calling the plays, Michigan could win. We'll know, because if Patterson is throwing downfield, it's Gaddis. If it's Charbonnet up the gut, it's Harbaugh. And if it's Harbaugh, Michigan will be demolished.

If they lose to Iowa, they will likely lose 4 more games in the season: Penn State (10/19), Notre Dame (10/26), Michigan State (11/16) and Ohio State (11/30).

posted Hide Post
Wanting to watch my Huskers versus Northwestern today but Dish is in contract disputes with FOX and BTN so none of this channels available Frown

Hoppefully the Huskers will wake up after the Ohio State beatdown

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This weekend features 6 Big Ten matchups, one cream puff non-conference game (WI), and IU has a bye week.

Week 6 Predictions (all times Central time):
  • Purdue @ #12 PSU on ESPN at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Nittany Lions are 28 to 28.5 point favorites. PSU wins but fails to cover.
  • IA @ #19 UofM on Fox at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Wolverines are 3.5 to 4.5 point favorites. I'm going with IA's tough defense (only allow 77 rushing yards and 8.5 points per game) to stymie UofM's offense allowing the Hawkeyes to pull-off the upset.
  • MD @ Rutgers on BTN at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Terps are 13.5 to 14.5 point favorites. Terps easily win and cover in what I'd call a cream puff matchup if it were non-conference (let's face it, allowing Rutgers in the Big Ten was a huge mistake).
  • IL @ MN on BTN at 2:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Gophers are 14 to 14.5 point favorites. Looks like a rainy MN Saturday on BTN Tailgate which means MN's 1700 lb o-line will likely be the factor. Both teams have D's that give up a lot of points but I think the weather helps their weak pass D's. MN wins but fails to cover.
  • NWU @ NE on Fox at 3:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Cornhuskers are 7 to 7.5 point favorites. NWU showed a little backbone last week against WI after getting destroyed by MSU the week before. Last week, NE got curb stomped by tOSU and I'm betting they have enough backbone to bounce back from it to win and cover.
  • #25 MSU @ #4 tOSU on ABC at 6:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Buckeyes are 20 to 20.5 point favorites. Two of the best rush defenses in college football will be on the field today. Unfortunately for the Sparties their pass defense isn't made of the same metal, but the Buckeyes pass defense is. More importantly, tOSU can win with their offense's passing attack. The Sparties have a history of ruining the Buckeyes national championship aspirations, but not today as the Buckeyes win but fail to cover.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

•  
    posted Hide Post
    1st qtr : 20 - 0 PSU.

“PSU wins but fails to cover”.......hhhmmmmmm Razz

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Halftime and Michigan is up 10-3. They looked good early in the half, not so much since then. Patterson threw a beautiful 50 yard completion, and a couple other good passes. Stanley hasn't done much, but credit Michigan's defence.

Michigan had its best performance this season, but the momentum is actually with Iowa at the half. I think they will pull it out, because Stanley is bound to find his rhythm.

Membership has its privileges
    Picture of P-220
    posted Hide Post
    Well it was not pretty, but we will take it.

Go Blue!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Michigan's 8 sacks were the key to victory. I don't have a tally on 3rd and 4th down sacks, but it was several and they were drive stoppers.

Coin Sniper
    Picture of Rightwire
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    IA @ #19 UofM on Fox at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Wolverines are 3.5 to 4.5 point favorites. I'm going with IA's tough defense (only allow 77 rushing yards and 8.5 points per game) to stymie UofM's offense allowing the Hawkeyes to pull-off the upset.

oops.....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Well, a win is a win. But after the opening of the game, Michigan had no offence. For the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't let Patterson throw downfield more-- great receivers who had a significant height advantage over Iowa's defenders.

They will be fine next week, but the week after that they play Penn State, which has a dynamite offence.

Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    PSU covered Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
    PSU covered Smile
    PSU is in the grey area between the odds services (won by 28 and the odds services were 28 to 28.5) so the benefit of the doubt goes to the guy who actually posted a prediction Wink

posted Hide Post
    Gotta give Purdue credit, their defense did a pretty good number on he PSU offense 2nd half, with all the injuries they have and a targeting call to boot, they hung in there.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Karmanator
    Picture of Chance
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    This weekend features 6 Big Ten matchups, one cream puff non-conference game (WI), and IU has a bye week.

Week 6 Predictions (all times Central time):

• IL @ MN on BTN at 2:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Gophers are 14 to 14.5 point favorites. Looks like a rainy MN Saturday on BTN Tailgate which means MN's 1700 lb o-line will likely be the factor. Both teams have D's that give up a lot of points but I think the weather helps their weak pass D's. MN wins but fails to cover.

• If the weather had stayed bad you probably would have been right. Nobody could catch the ball in the first half. But the weather cleared and the game changed completely.

IL offense only score 3 points. MN gave up 14 points - a pick six and fumble recovery for a touchdown.

Last week MN was all about the pass. This week they had over 300 rushing yards. The Offensive line played better, but its IL so who knows.

Cannot believe they are 5 - 0.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 6 Wrap-up:
  • Purdue @ #12 PSU on ESPN at 11:00 - First half was disgusting and all the defense did was get their image in yet another player's Heisman highlight reel. On the offensive side of the ball, our repugnant play is best exemplified by our QB's 3.7 QB rating (for contrast, PSU's QB was 90.4). I quit watching midway thru 2nd which was before Purdue's only score and instead watched UofM & IA.
  • IA @ #19 UofM on Fox at 11:00 - I was wrong on both winner and spread. This was a defensive battle and both offenses looked anemic. The only difference in the game is that IA's defense gave up one 70 yard drive early in the game, and UofM's didn't. Honorable mention cheer goes to IA's defense who had a very good day which ordinarily would result in a W.
  • MD @ Rutgers on BTN at 11:00 - As predicted, the Terps easily won and covered. Chalk it up to winning a game you're supposed to win.
  • IL @ MN on BTN at 2:30 - I was correct on winner but incorrect on spread. As Chance said, weather changed at half and it was a wide open MN offense in the 2nd half as evidenced by only punting once in the 2nd half.
  • NWU @ NE on Fox at 3:00 - I was correct on winner and the Cornhuskers having enough backbone to bounce back from big loss to tOSU. I was wrong on spread, but certainly enjoyed being wrong with the fantastic finish with the Cornhuskers kicking the winning FG as time expired. I only caught the last few minutes of the game so I'm not sure why Vedral was QB instead of Martinez.
  • #25 MSU @ #4 tOSU on ABC at 6:30 - I was correct on winner but incorrect on spread. tOSU's offense is for real because I don't think anybody predicted that they would rush for 323 yards against the Sparty's vaunted rush D (held other Big Ten opponents to 70 and 139 yards, and held non-conference opponents to 76, 67, and -73).

Cheers:
  • PSU's offensive line. The hogs cleared the way for 196 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs, and gave the QB time to throw 264 yards for 3 TDs. Only gave up 1 sack.
  • PSU's defense. Held Purdue to negative nineteen yards rushing, 123 yards passing, had 10 sacks, and 13 tackles for a loss. Pure domination.
  • PSU's QB Clifford. The first year starter threw for 264 yards, 3 passing TDs, rushed for 33 yards, and 1 rushing TD. Only knock is threw 1 INT.
  • UofM's defense. Held IA to 1 yard rushing, made the 260 yards passing irrevelant with their picks and sacks, 1 key fumble recovery, 3 INTs, 8 sacks, and 13 tackles for a loss. Awesome play calling by the defensive coordinator as many sacks off blitzes on 3rd and 4th down to end drives.
  • MN's defense. Only gave up 3 points (offense gave up 14), held IL to 157 yards passing and 91 yards rushing, snagged an INT, and had 3 sacks.
  • MN's offensive line. The hogs cleared the way for 332 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs, and gave the QB time to throw 155 yards for 3 TDs. Only gave up 1 sack.
  • MN's RB Smith. Young man averaged 8.8 yards per carry for 211 yards and 1 TD.
  • tOSU's offensive line. The hogs cleared the way for 323 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs, and gave the QB time to throw 206 yards for 2 TDs. A little concerned they gave up 3 sacks.
  • tOSU's defense. Held the Sparties to 67 yards rushing, 218 yards passing, had 4 sacks, and 9 tackles for a loss.
  • tOSU's QB Fields. The first year starter threw for 206 yards, 2 passing TDs, rushed for 61 yards, and 1 rushing TD. Only knock is threw 1 INT.

Jeers:
  • Purdue. Only two people I exclude are the Punter and his position coach (our punter will end up in the NFL).
  • IA's offense. Let down the defense by fumbling in the red zone resulting in FG, couldn't pass block, and couldn't put up more than 10 points.
  • Big Ten Commissioners. Why is Rutgers still in the Big Ten? This isn't an off year for the football team, this is their normal. It's not just football as they have zero conference championships in any sport and only team sport they're OK at is women's basketball. As far as revenue from TV, they're in the bottom 25% of Div 1 teams for following so they aren't a big draw.

•  
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    IA's offense. Let down the defense by fumbling in the red zone resulting in FG, couldn't pass block, and couldn't put up more than 10 points.

The second half, especially, was a joke. They would move downfield, and then move all the way back to midfield just on penalties. At one point in the 4th quarter, with the game still very winnable, they went from inside the red zone back to midfield on penalties. The announcer said, "They're going backwards again!" Big Grin And next week they play a team with an actual offence....