SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21 Login/Join 
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
OSU vs. MSU was a great game to watch. Both Defenses are for real but OSU's offensive line really took over in the 2nd quarter. MSU did not have the offense it needs to compete.

I am not sure what I am going to do with a weekend off... Frown

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It’s time my friend Chance’s parade got rained on. I think the Huskers, on the road, beat Minnesota Saturday night. Minnesota is 5-0, as Chance has reminded us Wink, and Nebraska is 3-2 and getting 7 points. Minnesota’s only impressive win was against Illinois. Gopher pass receiver, Ronald Bateman is dangerous as dynamite, but if he can be held in check, Nebraska wins by 10.

ETA: This is from my post of August 17:
quote:

I think 8-4 is very obtainable [for Nebraska] and, given their schedule and the teams they have at home, 9-3 is sure possible. Iowa plays their toughest games on the road. Minnesota has earned my respect, and they have a favorable home schedule. Northwestern has most of their tough games at home, and Wisconsin just plays a tough B1G schedule this year.

I don’t think Wisconsin makes it to the title game because of their schedule. Like Nebraska, I never know what to make of Northwestern, but I don’t think they make it either. Iowa, too many tough road games. I like Minnesota’s coach and they could be there. I think it comes down to them or Nebraska representing the West.

I’m wrong about Nebraska being there, but might not be wrong about Minnesota. Wisconsin looks terrific but still has some tough road games. We’ll see

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

I am not sure what I am going to do with a weekend off... Frown

Penn state vs. Iowa
Buckeyes are off but I'll still be watching a few games including this one.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This weekend features 6 Big Ten matchups with two teams on a bye week.

Week 7 Predictions (all times Central time):
  • #16 UofM @ IL on ABC at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Wolverines are 20.5 to 24 (4 of 5 were 23.5 to 24) point favorites. UofM easily wins and covers. I'm going to take it one step further and say this one gets so ugly that Lovie Smith is fired within 48 hours.
  • Rutgers @ IU on BTN at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Hosers are 27.5 to 28 point favorites. IU wins but fails to cover.
  • MD @ Purdue on BTN at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Terps are 3 to 3.5 point favorites. Neil Armstrong’s alma mater, Purdue, will be celebrating both homecoming and the 50th anniversary of the moon landing with a “Cradle of Astronauts” theme. I think the Spoilermakers make an appearance and pull off the upset.
  • MSU @ #8 WI on BTN at 2:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Badgers are 10 to 10.5 point favorites. Unfortunately for MSU, the Badger defense is even better than the Buckeye defense. I also suspect the Badgers studied the crap out of the Buckeye game film and will use it to ram Taylor down MSU's throats. Badgers win and cover.
  • #10 PSU @ #17 IA on ABC at 6:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Nittany Lions are 3 to 3.5 point favorites. Hawkeye's defense makes a valiant effort again but their offense lets them down again. PSU wins and covers.
  • NE @ MN on FS1 at 6:30 - the Gophers are unanimously 7.5 point favorites. MN's cardiac defense catches up with them this week and Cornhuskers pull off the upset.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Karmanator
    Picture of Chance
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    It’s time my friend Chance’s parade got rained on. I think the Huskers, on the road, beat Minnesota Saturday night. Minnesota is 5-0, as Chance has reminded us Wink, and Nebraska is 3-2 and getting 7 points. Minnesota’s only impressive win was against Illinois. Gopher pass receiver, Ronald Bateman is dangerous as dynamite, but if he can be held in check, Nebraska wins by 10.

ETA: This is from my post of August 17:
    quote:

I think 8-4 is very obtainable [for Nebraska] and, given their schedule and the teams they have at home, 9-3 is sure possible. Iowa plays their toughest games on the road. Minnesota has earned my respect, and they have a favorable home schedule. Northwestern has most of their tough games at home, and Wisconsin just plays a tough B1G schedule this year.

I don’t think Wisconsin makes it to the title game because of their schedule. Like Nebraska, I never know what to make of Northwestern, but I don’t think they make it either. Iowa, too many tough road games. I like Minnesota’s coach and they could be there. I think it comes down to them or Nebraska representing the West.

I’m wrong about Nebraska being there, but might not be wrong about Minnesota. Wisconsin looks terrific but still has some tough road games. We’ll see

I could see this game going either way. For the most part Minnesota has been using smoke and mirrors to win games. They finally looked like a complete team last week - but it was Illinois. If that performance was real I think they have a good chance against Nebraska.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Purdue's much maligned defense just snagged a pick 6 to go into half-time. Awesome going into half-time 30-14 instead of 23-14.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Still a couple minutes left in the. 3rd quarter, but I’ll congratulate Chance and his Gophers for humiliating Nebraska tonight. This lack of performance brings back echoes of the worse of the Mike Riley era. Horrible. Minnesota looks capable of fighting it out with Wisconsin for the West title. It’ll be tough, Wisconsin is top 5.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 7 Wrap-up:
  • #16 UofM @ IL on ABC at 11:00 - I was right on winner and wrong on spread (likely wrong on Lovie Smith too). I actually felt pretty good about the prediction when Uof was up 28-0 2/3 of the way through the 2nd quarter. UofM's offense and defense sputtered and in the 4th quarter the lead was down to 28-25. Illini fumbled twice in the 4th and one resulted in a TD.
  • Rutgers @ IU on BTN at 11:00 - Correct on IU winning but wrong on failing to cover. Rutgers gave up 21 points in the first 7 minutes of the game.
  • MD @ Purdue on BTN at 11:00 - I was correct on the Spoilermakers pulling off the upset (i.e. picked winner and spread). Purdue got off to a quick 13-0 start, and put up a nice offensive perfomrance. The defense had a nice game including big stops, and the only lapse was in the first 6 minutes of the 2nd quarter
  • MSU @ #8 WI on BTN at 2:30 - I was correct on Badgers winning and covering, but wrong on them doing it via Taylor (80 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs is below average for him but then again his "average" is everybody else's outstanding). The Badgers look like a team on the verge of breaking into the Top 4.
  • #10 PSU @ #17 IA on ABC at 6:30 - I was correct on PSU winning and covering, and the Hawkeye's defense makes a valiant effort (only giving up 17 points is usually a win) but their offense letting them down again.
  • NE @ MN on FS1 at 6:30 - I really blew it predicting the upset. MN dominated every aspect of the game. Hats off to the PJ and the Gophers for their 6-0 start.

Kudos:
  • WI defense. They are outstanding and have scored as many TDs as they have given up (4) this season. Total domination holding MSU to 30 yards rushing, 119 yards passing, 0 points, the two QBs had QBRs of 7.1 and 8.3, and 2 sacks.
  • WI offense. Nobody had a statistically impressive game, but they put up 31 points (defense had 7), 3 different people had TDs. O-line was dominant.
  • PSU defense. Held the Hawkeyes to 12 points, only 70 yards rushing, and the 286 yards passing wasn't a detriment.
  • UofM QB Patterson. 194 yards passing for 3 TDs, and 17 yards rushing including 1 TD. Other than the 3rd quarter, he had a really nice game.
  • Purdue QB Plummer. The true freshman passed for 420 yards and 3 TDs with 0 turnovers.
  • Purdue WR Bell. The true freshman caught 9 passes for 138 yards and 2 TDs.
  • Purdue safety Trice. The redshirt freshman had 2 INTs including a pick 6.
  • MN defense. Held the Cornhuskers to 7 garbage time points (25% of their offense was that drive).
  • MN RB Ibrahim. 15 carries for 84 yards and 3 TDs.

•  
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Huskers Open 2021 Season Against Illinois—in Dublin, Ireland!
    Well how cool is that?!?

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    This weekend features 6 Big Ten matchups with 2 teams on a bye week.

Week 8 Predictions (all times Central time):
  • #4 tOSU @ NWU on BTN on Friday night (Oops, it's already 4th qtr) - The Buckeyes are whooping the Wildcats.
  • #6 WI @ IL on BTN at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Badgers are 30.5 to 31 point favorites. Badgers win and cover.
  • Purdue @ #23 IA on ESPN2 at 11:00 - depending on which odds service you believe the Hawkeyes are 17.5 to 18 point favorites. I think Vegas is out of their collective minds and Hawkeyes can't score 18 points let alone win by 17.5 to 18. Hawkeyes win but fail to cover.
  • #20 MN @ Rutgers on BTN at 2:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Gophers are 28.5 to 29 point favorites. MN uses this as a scrimmage to prepare for a real team so the 1st stringers don't get enough playing time to cover. MN still wins though.
  • IU @ MD on BTN at 2:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Hosers are 6 to 6.5 point favorites. I predict IU's overly emotional coach cries at the postgame press conference even though they win and cover.
  • #16 UofM @ #7 PSU on ABC at 6:30 - depending on which odds service you believe the Nittany Lions are 7 to 8 point favorites. This is the Big Ten game of the week, and PSU wins but fails to cover.

•  
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    Maybe the Badgers can make this the one that’s so ugly that Lovie Smith is fired within 48 hours, since the Wolverines couldn’t accomplish it. Smile

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Watched the Bucks last night. Started slow but then got rolling.
    Penn State/Michigan tonight. Torn on this game. I can't pull for Michigan, I just can't. Penn State is a legitimate threat to OSU as is Wisconsin.
    Just gonna go watch and see what happens.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by joatmonv:
    Penn State/Michigan tonight. Torn on this game. I can't pull for Michigan, I just can't. Penn State is a legitimate threat to OSU as is Wisconsin.

Penn State hasn’t played anybody yet. And they barely beat Pitt. Wisconsin is the only team in the B10 I think that can beat tOSU.

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PowerSurge:
    quote:
    Originally posted by joatmonv:

Penn State hasn’t played anybody yet. And they barely beat Pitt. Wisconsin is the only team in the B10 I think that can beat tOSU.

True.
    PSU/OSU game is the 23rd of November I think? Long time to wait.
    Wisconsin is next weekend I believe.

posted Hide Post
    quote:

OSU hasn’t played anyone either. Wisconsin will be the first one up. Penn St/Pitt was a rivalry game, the last one scheduled so there was a lot of emotion involved (mostly from Pitt).

Penn State will beat Michigan tonight, may not be the beat down that each has experienced the last couple of years on the other’s home turf but they will get beat.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by stkfox:
    quote:

OSU hasn’t played anyone either. Wisconsin will be the first one up. Penn St/Pitt was a rivalry game, the last one scheduled so there was a lot of emotion involved (mostly from Pitt).

Penn State will beat Michigan tonight, may not be the beat down that each has experienced the last couple of years on the other’s home turf but they will get beat.

MSU?

As for the PSU, TTUN game, I think PSU is going to have a tough time with TTUN. But we will see.

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Holy shit! The Badgers have fallen to the Illini. This is the biggest upset of the Big Ten season and 2nd biggest upset this NCAAF season (Georgia was ranked higher when they lost).
    quote:
    Originally posted by C-Dubs:
    Maybe the Badgers can make this the one that’s so ugly that Lovie Smith is fired within 48 hours, since the Wolverines couldn’t accomplish it. Smile
    I think this will quiet the firing talk in Champagne for quite a while.

Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    That didn't go as planned.

Coan is anemic as QB, as everyone knows he seldom throws downfield. Mostly all screen and quick outs, so the defense can play tight on the line. He and the TE hit on some nice plays today though.

The Badgers forgot how to tackle today. You can't just bump into people and expect them to go down.

I was wondering how the Badgers would play away from Camp Randall, and it didn't work out well for them. Better come hungry next week in Columbus.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Penn State will beat Michigan tonight. But nobody on the schedule can beat tOSU.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    I did not see the Minnesota/Rutgers game; I watched Wyoming win its game this afternoon, but I did see highlights and Casey O’Brien holding for an extra point in the 4th quarter. What a wonderful thing. Walk-on player who is a 4 time cancer survivor. “More than a dozen surgeries, over 200 nights in the hospital” said the guy voicing the highlights. Very emotional hug from Fleck. Bravo