SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
[

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Oops, accidentally wrote over my predictions with my wrap-up. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Illini are strange. Looked horrible and then won last week. Michigan looked horrible, then beat ND badly. Time for Brian Kelly to move on, and maybe for Michigan to have a medicore season. That is why I love college ball. It like a box of chocolates every week to poorly paraphrase Gump.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Sorry Rondale Moore is probably still out. Adrian Martinez, Husker QB is back. Nebraska starting corner, Taylor-Britt is out. Two very young teams. Nebraska wins and covers

ETA, at halftime: It appears Nebraska’s defense has forgotten (once again) that this is tackle football. Hard to watch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Todd

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 10 Wrap-up:
  • #14 UofM @ MD at 11:00 on ABC - As predicted UofM won and covered. Surprisingly, a blowout game had zero statistical standouts. Only highlight I saw was both teams having 97 yard kick return for TDs (I wonder if that is a first?).
  • NE @ Purdue at 11:00 on Fox - As predicted, Purdue pulled off the upset. The young team shows a lot of promise for the future, but of course when you're this young there is going to be a lot of mistakes. Plummer is a great example where he throws for 242 and 2 TDs, but throws 2 picks (including to the nose tackle Eek). Our all-american defensive tackle still hasn't played this season and we have an anemic pass rush. Still it's good to win, and to have the grit to come from behind to do it.
  • Rutgers @ IL at 2:30 on BTN - as predicted the Illini won and covered. They got off to a slow start (10-10 at half), but dominated the 2nd half. However, yet another blowout without any individual having a statistically significant game.
  • NWU @ IU at 6:00 on FS1 - As predicted, IU won and covered.

Kudos:
  • UofM Defense - held MD to 104 yards passing, snagged an INT, had 4 sacks, held them to 129 yards rushing, and had 8 tackles for a loss.
  • Purdue RB Doerue - had 4.7 yards per carry for 71 and 1 rushing TD, and averaged 6.2 yards per catch for 31 yards and a receiving TD. Might not sound like much, but this is the best rushing performance of the season (team averages 2.4 yards per carry).
  • The Illini defense - held Rutgers to 5 receptions, snagged an INT for a TD, had 3 sacks, 10 tackles for loss, and scored nearly as many points as it gave up.
  • The IU defense - held NWU to 112 yards passing, 87 yards rushing, recovered 3 fumbles, and only gave up 3 points.
  • IU's RB Scott III - the sophomore had 116 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs, and caught a 20 yard TD pass.

Bowl Eligibility:
  • 7 teams are already bowl eligible. tOSU, PSU, and MN all have 8 wins. UofM & IU both have 7 wins. WI and IA both have 6 wins.
  • 5 teams are theoretically still able to make a bowl. IL needs to win 1 of 3. NE needs to win 2 of 3. MSU needs to win 2 of last 4 games. Purdue and MD both need to win 3 of last 3.
  • 2 teams are eliminated from post season play. Both Rutgers and NWU racked up their 7th losses today.
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    Congrats, Todd
    Thanks! It was a fun back and forth game.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Due to 4 bye weeks, 10 teams are playing this weekend and weather does not appear to be a factor in any of the 5 games.

Week 11 Predictions (all times Central time):
  • MD @ #1 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox - the Buckeyes are unanimously 43.5 point favorites. The Terps forgot how to play offense and their defense can only compete against Rutgers. I'm going with the Buckeyes to win and cover the huge spread.
  • #4 PSU @ #17 MN at 11:00 on ABC - the Nittany Lions are unanimously 6.5 point favorites. This is the Big Ten game of the weekend, and the Golden Gophers first real test. Statistically, they're evenly matched everywhere except points allowed, but MN's defense didn't gel until October so the stat might not mean anything. I going with MN to pull off the upset.
  • Purdue @ NWU at 11:00 on BTN - the Wildcats are unanimously 2 point favorites, but I think Vegas has lost their minds. The two teams are pretty even on defense, but Purdue has a huge advantage on offense. The Spoilermakers make an appearance and pull off the "upset" by a wide margin.
  • IL @ MSU at 2:30 on FS1 - depending on which odds service you believe the Sparties are 14.5 to 15 point favorites. The Illini are coming off 3 straight wins and the Sparties are coming off 3 straight losses (to be fair, all three were Top Ten teams). The Illini have been a complete different team since the 2nd half of the UofM game 4 weeks ago so a stat comparison is meaningless. The weekend of upsets continues and the Illini narrowly pulls off the upset.
  • #18 IA @ #13 WI at 3:00 on Fox - depending on which odds service you believe the Badgers are 9 to 9.5 point favorites. The Hawkeyes are 0-2 against ranked teams and the Badgers are 1-1. First common opponent was NWU, and both teams won but IA won more decisively. 2nd common was UofM, and WI whipped their ass but IA lost. WI wins but fails to cover.

•  
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tatortodd:
    #4 PSU @ #17 MN at 11:00 on ABC - the Nittany Lions are unanimously 6.5 point favorites. This is the Big Ten game of the weekend, and the Golden Gophers first real test. Statistically, they're evenly matched everywhere except points allowed, but MN's defense didn't gel until October so the stat might not mean anything. I going with MN to pull off the upset.

Look at you, good call!

Maybe Minnesota will get some love now; there were SIX, 2-loss teams ranked ahead of Minnesota when the day started.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    What a weekend of college football upsets!

Week 11 Wrap-up:
  • MD @ #1 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox - as predicted, the Buckeyes won and covered the monster spread. tOSU is certainly doing everything right to put themselves into the Big Ten Championship.
  • #4 PSU @ #17 MN at 11:00 on ABC - as predicted, the Golden Gophers pulled off the upset and remained undefeated. This win should give them the respect they deserve. PJ Fleck used to coach at my Mom's alma mater (took them to the 2017 Cotton Bowl) and I've been a fan ever since. He is the master of getting college kids to buy into the system where the sum of their team talent is greater than their individual talent.
  • Purdue @ NWU at 11:00 on BTN - as predicted, the Spoilermakers made an appearance and pulled off the upset win on the road. Even more impressive, they did it with their 3rd string QB (1st & 2nd string out with injuries). NWU got off to a surprising 1st quarter 14-0 start, but Purdue owned the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Due to the youth it was a sloppy game, but the future is bright as evidenced by their last 19 TDs being scored by freshman.
  • IL @ MSU at 2:30 on FS1 - as predicted, the Illini narrowly pulled off the upset. The Sparties were up 28-3 at half and 31-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Then the Illini offense broke a 3rd and 2 pass for a 83 yard TD, had a nice 53 yard TD drive, had a pick 6, and with 5 seconds left capped a 75 yard drive with a 5 yard TD pass. MSU's shaky pass defense really bit them in the rear this week.
  • #18 IA @ #13 WI at 3:00 on Fox - as predicted, the Badgers won but failed to cover. I was kind of surprised by the score as both teams have good defenses and low scoring offenses. The Badgers ability to pass nearly as effectively as IA was the difference maker this week as it meant the offense wasn't so run-centric.

Kudos:
  • tOSU's offense - The line, the receivers, the RBs, and the QB put in dominant performances. I'm not just talking 1st string either as the 2nd string dominated too.
  • tOSU's defense - The d-line, the LBs, and DBs all put in dominate performances resulting in only 77 yards passing, 62 yards rushing, 7 sacks, 11 tackles for loss, an INT, and a fumble recovery.
  • MN QB Morgan - young man completed 90% of his passes for 339 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, and 0 fumbles.
  • MN WR Bateman - 7 receptions for 203 yards and a TD. Speaking of the TD, it was an awesome 66 yard ordeal with most of it yards after catch.
  • MN DB Winfield Jr - the sophomore had 11 tackles and 2 INTs.
  • Purdue QB O'Connell - the sophomore made the most of his first start with 34 completions for 271 yards and 2 TDs. He even bounced back from his 2nd INT and lead the team to the game winning drive.
  • Purdue WR Bell - the freshman snagged 14 receptions for 115 yards and a TD.
  • Purdue kicker Dellinger - kicked the game winning 39 yard field goal into a nasty wind, and was perfect on extra points too. He kept Purdue's bowl hopes alive.
  • IL QB Peters - had 22 completions for 369 yards and 3 TDs.
  • IL WR Imatorbhebhe - snagged 4 receptions for 178 yards and 2 TDs. His 83 yard TD reception was the spark in that ignited the Illini comeback.
  • IL DB Brown - had 13 tackles and 2 INTs which included a pick 6.
  • WI RB Taylor - had 31 carries for 250 yards. That is 8.1 yards per carry and even if you ignore his 42 yarder it's 6.9 yards per carry.
  • WI offensive line - the hogs only gave up 1 sack allowing Coan to be effective passing. Also, they really opened up holes for the RBs to the tune of 6.5 yards per carry, 300 yards rushing, and a rushing TD.
  • Eek I was 100% on predicting both winners and spread for the first time this season. Big Grin

Bowl Eligibility:
  • The Illini became the 8th bowl eligible team with their epic comeback. tOSU and MN have 9 wins; PSU has 8 wins; WI, UofM, & IU both have 7 wins; IA and IL both have 6 wins.
  • 3 teams are theoretically still able to make a bowl. NE & MSU both need to win 2 of 3. Purdue needs to win both remaining games (both opponents, IU & WI, are 7 win teams).
  • 3 teams are eliminated from post season play. MD's blowout loss officially ended their bowl season hopes.

•  
    Picture of Shaql
    posted Hide Post
    O'Connell was initially a D3 commit who changed his mind and walked on to Purdue and playing 3rd string.
    Now he has two game winning 4Q drives (NE, NW)!

Dude is 49/72 (68%) for 404yrds and a 123 rating.

Not bad kid!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
    Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
    Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    I was glad your Boilermakers won, but I’m not sure they would’ve without the stupidity of the Wildcats’ defense committing all those pass interference penalties.

Coan stunk it up for the Badgers. The only reason he was completing anything was because the running game was working pretty well.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    More light than heat
    Picture of Milliron
    posted Hide Post
    I personally enjoyed the flight of F-35s that overflew the Shoe at the start of the OSU/MD game.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8785 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Facts are stubborn things
    Picture of armedprof
    posted Hide Post
    OSU's 2nd and 3rd team offenses scored more points in the 2nd half than Maryland scored in the whole game. That game was complete domination.

PJ Fleck has his team believing and that is a powerful thing in college football. He is a special coach and I hope he stays at Minn for a long time.

Minn and Ill both ruined big games for the Buckeyes. ugh...

Former Buckeye Joe Burrow made OSU proud when he destroyed Alabama's defense!!! Smile

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Karmanator
    Picture of Chance
    posted Hide Post
    I have watched every minute of all the MN games and I still can't believe they are undefeated. Somehow they find a way to win each week.

They are ranked in the top 10 for the first time in 57 years.

Crazy.

Go Gophers.

Fun fact, when the opposing team is attempting a field goal in the end of the stadium with the giant screen, MN shows this video.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01pLMqaQKzI

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chance:
    I have watched every minute of all the MN games and I still can't believe they are undefeated. Somehow they find a way to win each week.

They are ranked in the top 10 for the first time in 57 years.

Crazy.

Go Gophers.

They've been playing really well.

But, I'll be rooting against them on the 30th for the Bunyan Axe Big Grin

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    11 teams are playing this weekend due to 3 bye weeks including my Boilermakers. Rain and snow do not appear to be a factor in any of the 6 games, but cool temperatures may be a factor affecting receivers, fumbles, punts, and FGs.

Week 12 Predictions (all times Central time):
  • IU @ #9 PSU at 11:00 on ABC - depending on which odds service you believe the Nittany Lions are 14.5 to 15 point favorites. Statistically, they're pretty even in every category except IU gives up an extra TD per game. As far as common opponents, PSU whooped MSU but IU lost by a TD, and IU squeeked by MD wheareas PSU whooped them. PSU wins and covers.
  • #14 WI @ NE at 11:00 on BTN - depending on which odds service you believe the Badgers are 13.5 to 14 point favorites. Statistically, WI has a TD edge on offense, but a huge yardage and points allowed advantage on defense. As far as common opponents, NE beat IL and WI lost (the week after IL started playing like a completely different team), both were curb stomped by tOSU, and they both squeeked by NWU. Being bad at defending the run is recipe for disaster when facing the Badgers so I'm going with WI to win and cover.
  • MSU @ #15 UofM at 11:00 on Fox - depending on which odds service you believe the Wolverines are 13.5 to 14 point favorites. I'm biased and always root for "little brother" to beat UofM and preferably curb stomp them. UofM is about a TD better on offense and defense, and UofM is a better rushing team and MSU's D is vulnerable to the pass. As far as common opponents both teams were whooped by WI, UofM squeeked by IL (the start of IL being a completely different team) and MSU narrowly lost, and UofM lost to PSU but MSU got whooped. More importantly than stats or common opponents, UofM is on an upward trajectory and MSU is circling the drain. UofM wins and covers.
  • U Mass @ NWU at 11:00 on BTN - as always, I don't waste my time discussing cream puff non-conference match-ups.
  • #2 tOSU @ Rutgers at 2:30 on BTN - depending on which odds service you believe the Scarlet Knights are 52 to 52.5 point favorites. I keed, I keed. Frankly, tOSU's 3rd string could cover the spread against Rutgers and this could be the first 100 point offensive performance in college football since 2003. tOSU wins and covers.
  • #8 MN @ #20 IA at 3:00 on Fox - the Hawkeyes are unanimously 3 point favorites. I think it's BS that an undefeated team is an underdog to a 3 loss team. Statistically, MN is 2 TDs per game better on offense and IA is a TD per game better on defense. Additionally, on a cold day MN's superior rushing offense may be the difference maker. As far as common opponents, MN beat PSU but IA lost, both narrowly beat Purdue, and both whooped Rutgers. More importantly is that in October and November the Hawkeye offense's best performance is a modest 22 points, and the Gophers haven't scored less than 31. The Gophers pull off the "upset."

•  
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Huskers have two starting D-linemen out, in addition to their most dangerous weapon on offense, Wandale Robinson. Makes your “Wisconsin wins and covers” prediction pretty safe.

Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    Penn State getting some heat from Indiana...

Nice.... Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fool for the City
    Picture of MRMATT
    posted Hide Post
    Take away that controversial muffed punt early in the game and the failed fake punt, and Indiana probably wins that game.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    Badgers won and covered, but their secondary played uncharacterically crappy for a good chunk of the game.

Was hoping to see repeat of the Badgers/Huskers game from 5 years ago, almost to the day, when Melvin Gordon ran for 408yds on 25 carries, in only 3 quarters of play.

Alas, it didn't happen. Only ~230yds rushing for Taylor today.