SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21 Login/Join 
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Tator -

Well, my IU tried to hand your Purdue the game... but IU managed to squeak by. (You would think that the Hoosiers would have assigned a linebacker to Horvath after the 1st quarter... he is a beast. The arms on that kid!)

There are many more "P"s on that bucket... but the latest link in the chain is an "I"!

The Boilers had a long injury roster this year. Should be a good game in Bloomington next year. I hope both teams are at full strength then.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1589 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Ohio State. That hurt.

I do hope Fields is ok, I hated to see him go down.

I was ashamed to see Michigan try to remove the shoe. They deserved a more severe penalty, IMO. and I am a Michigan fan.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://es.pn/33EzYad via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

I think he's on the hot seat after this one.
Bring back Rodriguez. Lol

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
The Bunyan axe is back home for another year!

Coach Chryst must’ve made some damn big changes, because they looked crappy in the 1st quarter.

Figured defense would be key, and the Badgers D came alive in a big way.

Gophers keyed on JT which opened up some passing routes, and much to my surprise, Coan made some decent passes.

Congrats to the Gophers and their spectacular season. Also thanks to the Hawkeyes for allowing the Badgers the chance at the Big Ten West title.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
The shoe thing was bizarre, what the hell were they thinking?

quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

I was ashamed to see Michigan try to remove the shoe. They deserved a more severe penalty, IMO. and I am a Michigan fan.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
The shoe thing was bizarre, what the hell were they thinking?

quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

What do you expect? They’re trash.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did learn from UM/OSU was that there isn't a player at OSU named Dobbins, but there is a J.K.DOBBINS (must be yelled into the microphone). I learned that JK DOBBINS can bench press 700 lbs. I learned that JK DOBBINS is from Texas. I learned that JK DOBBINS is the next Emmitt Smith.

Maybe he'll declare for the draft.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by opticsguy:
I did learn from UM/OSU was that there isn't a player at OSU named Dobbins, but there is a J.K.DOBBINS (must be yelled into the microphone). I learned that JK DOBBINS can bench press 700 lbs. I learned that JK DOBBINS is from Texas. I learned that JK DOBBINS is the next Emmitt Smith.

Maybe he'll declare for the draft.

Not to nitpick (alright, maybe I’m nitpicking) but JK DOBBINS can SQUAT 700 lbs.

Big Grin

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:

Michigan Athletic Department keeps putting out supportive public messages every time the call to get rid of Harbaugh gets loud. They cite his W-L record, which looks good until you examine it closely. Then you see that he consistently beats the mediocre- weak teams, and loses to the strong ones. This season, for instance, he took the field against 5 ranked teams and lost to 3 of them. The 2 he beat, Notre Dame and Iowa, were the weakest of the 5, the other 3 being Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State. His bowl record with Michigan is 4 appearances of which he lost all but 1. His record against Ohio State is 0 - 5.

But the athletic department seems to love him. And next year Michigan will be rated high in the pre-season, probably in the top ten. Seems impossible, but just watch. They keep filling the Big House. Harbaugh keeps raking in his 7.5 million every season. The defensive coordinator, Don Brown, will probably get the axe. When your rival scores 118 points against you in two games....

Otherwise, it seems to be working out for everybody. Except some fed-up fans.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Saturday Wrap-up:
  • #1 tOSU @ #13 UofM at 11:00 on Fox - As predicted, the Buckeyes won and covered. However, my preseason prediction of this being UofM's year sure seems silly. It was a good game for a quarter or 1.5 quarters and then tOSU dominated. Besides the scoreboard, the domination showed up in time of possession where tOSU had the ball 13 minutes more than UofM, and in 3rd down conversins where the Buckeyes were 9/15 and the Wolverines were 2/13.
  • NWU @ IL at 11:00 on FS1 - I was surprsingly incorrect in the Illini winning and covering. NWU bested its highest point total of the Big Ten season by 7 points (quite a surprise for a team that usually scores mid-teens or less). I've been saying all year that their defense is better than the statistics because the offense was letting them down. Not yesterday as the Wildcats won the time of possession by 23 minutes, made nearly 50% of 3rd down conversions, made 67% of 4th down conversions, and they only had 3 penalties for 23 yards.
  • IU @ Purdue at 11:00 on ESPN2 - I was incorrect on the Boilermakers pulling off the upset, but was correct on IU not covering the spread. It was a tale of 2 halves with IU going into half with a 21-10 lead, and in the 2nd half Purdue putting up 21 to IU's 10. The first overtime ended after trading TDs, and Purdue had the ball first in 2OT and could only manage a FG. Purdue had them on the ropes at 3rd down and 10 from the 15, but for some unknown reason decided to only pass defend the end zone which gave huge cushions in field of play. IU throws a 14 yard completion putting them 1st and goal then clinches the game the next play on a QB keeper. Honorable mention kudos to Purdue's 3rd string sophomore walk-on QB O'Connell who settled down from his 1st drive INT to end up with 408 yards passing and 3 passing TDs. Also, honorable mention kudos to Purdue RB Horvath who had the Boilermakers 1st 100+ yard rushing performance with 164 yards at 7.1 ypc, 2 rushing TDs, and 4 catches for 24 yards (coincidentally he wears Mike Alstott's old number and has guns reminiscent of Alstott).
  • #12 WI @ #8 MN at 2:30 on ABC - I was incorrect on MN pulling off the upset. As predicted, both teams focused on shutting down the run, but WI did it better (i.e. gave up 0 TDs) and surprisingly Coan had the better passing performance. It was actually a good game up to half-time, but WI outscored MN 28-10 in the 2nd half. Only real standout on team statistics (equal time of possession and 3rd down efficiency) was WI converted 100% of their 4th down attempts vs MN's 33%. Honorable mention kudos to MN's defense for holding Taylor under 100 yards rushing and MN WR Bateman for 147 yards receiving and a TD.
  • Rutgers @ #10 PSU at 2:30 on BTN - As predicted, PSU won but failed to cover. They were very flat in the first half and only lead 7-3 at half-time. They played better in the 2nd half. Full-blown kudos aren't fair vs Rutgers so honorable mention kudos goes to PSU RB Brown who had 16 carries for 103 yards and 3 rushing TDs.
  • MD @ MSU at 2:30 on FS1 - As predicted, the Sparties won but I was incorrect on them covering the huge spread. I didn't get to see any of this game but it sure looks like the 2 INTs didn't end drives since they both occurred on 1st down and only one was converted into a TD after a 59 yard drive. Kind of mind boggling to have 342 yards passing, 8/16 on 3rd downs, have a 15 minute time of possession advantage yet only put up one offensive touchdown. MSU is going to get their ass handed to them in a bowl game if they play like that again.

Kudos:
  • tOSU Offensive line - these guys are the reason the Buckeyes are the #1 rushing attack in a Power 5 conference. Yesterday, they paved the way for 264 yards rushing at nearly 5.3 yards per carry and 4 TDs, and only gave up 1 sack allowing the QBs to pass for 313 yards and 4 TDs without in INT.
  • tOSU QB Fields - 14 completions for 302 yards and 4 TDs with 0 INTs. Additionally, he rushed for 25 yards w/o a fumble.
  • tOSU RB Dobbins - he looked like a man among boys with his 211 yards at 6.8 ypc and 4 TDs. Also, caught 2 passes for 49 yards.
  • tOSU WR Wilson - caught 3 passes for 118 yards and a TD. That is a whopping 39.3 ypc. To be fair, he did lose a fumble.
  • tOSU coaches - they just plain outcoached UofM in preparation for the game and during the game.
  • WI QB Coan - he was very accurate (15/22 and 0 INT) and the passes weren't dink n dunk (e.g. nearly 18.7 ypc). In addition to his 2 passing TDs, he also had 20 yards rushing w/o a fumble.
  • WI Offensive line - the hogs paved the way for 173 yards rushing and 3 rushing TDs, and gave up 0 sacks and 0 hurries which allowed Coan to have a good game.
  • WI WR Cephus - had 114 yards at 22.8 ypc and a TD.
  • WI defense - they had 5 sacks, 8 tackles for a loss, forced a QB fumble, and snagged an INT. Even more impressive they held MN to 76 yards rushing and 0 rushing TDs and MN's o-line is bigger than the MN Vikings o-line.
  • WI LB Baun - the senior had 9 tackles (5 solo), 2 sacks, and 2.5 tackles for a loss.
  • NWU's defense - held the Illini to 0 TDs and an INT on 146 yards passing, and held a normally good rushing attack to 14 yards plus forced a fumble. 3 sacks, 3 QB hurries, and 8 tackles for a loss. That's the type of performance I expect to see from a Pat Fitzgerald defense.
  • NWU's o-line - the hogs paved the way for 378 yards rushing,and 3 rushing TDs.
  • IU's QB Ramsey - had 23 completions for 337 yards and 3TDs with 0 INTs. Also had 42 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs including the 2OT game clincher.
  • IU receiver Philyor - 138 yards at nearly 17.3 ypc and 2 TDs.
  • IU RB James - 118 yards at nearly 5.4 ypc and a TD.
  • MSU's kicker - the junior scored 13 of MSU's 19 points, was 3 for 3 39 yards or less, and was 1 for 2 40+ yards.

Bowl Eligibility:
  • 12 wins - tOSU
  • 10 wins - WI, MN, and PSU should all be in very good bowl games in a sunny climate.
  • 9 wins - UofM should be in a good bowl game and likely better than they deserve because their fans "travel well"
  • 8 wins - IU should be in their best bowl game in the last 3 decades.
  • 6 wins - MSU and IL should be in an early bowl game and likely not a warm climate.
  • Watching bowl games on TV (caveat, there is nearly a half a billion bowl games so one of the unworthy teams may get one). NE had 5 wins, Purdue had 4 wins, NWU and MD had 3 wins, and Rutgers had 2 wins (0 in Big Ten).

Big Ten Championship:
  • East. tOSU had already clinched but really put an exclamation mark on it yesterday. Going undefeated into the Big Ten Championship is a feat.
  • West. Congrats to the Badgers for clinching yesterday. Things looked pretty bleak in late October after back to back losses to IL and tOSU, buty they bounced back with an undefeated November which included two Top 20 wins.
  • The game itself will in Indianapolis on Dec 7th at 7 PM on Fox.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by justjoe:
    quote:
    Originally posted by joatmonv:

Michigan Athletic Department keeps putting out supportive public messages every time the call to get rid of Harbaugh gets loud. They cite his W-L record, which looks good until you examine it closely. Then you see that he consistently beats the mediocre- weak teams, and loses to the strong ones. This season, for instance, he took the field against 5 ranked teams and lost to 3 of them. The 2 he beat, Notre Dame and Iowa, were the weakest of the 5, the other 3 being Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State. His bowl record with Michigan is 4 appearances of which he lost all but 1. His record against Ohio State is 0 - 5.

But the athletic department seems to love him. And next year Michigan will be rated high in the pre-season, probably in the top ten. Seems impossible, but just watch. They keep filling the Big House. Harbaugh keeps raking in his 7.5 million every season. The defensive coordinator, Don Brown, will probably get the axe. When your rival scores 118 points against you in two games....

Otherwise, it seems to be working out for everybody. Except some fed-up fans.

Sounds like Bo Pelini's tenure at Nebraska. Some Husker fans, and a lot of football fans of other schools love to repeat, and repeat again that Pelini won 9 games/year. Yeah, he did, but he rarely won a big game in conference, and he's an asshole to boot. Still, he had 7 years in Lincoln to build his program, so it's not like he wasn't given plenty of opportunity.

I believe Harbaugh just finished his 5th season. We all remember the excitement of the Michigan faithful when Harbaugh was hired. To say they were giddy would be an understatement. I think 7 years is a reasonable amount of time for a coach who posts a winning record, to prove that he can (or cannot) win the big games. Harbaugh has won enough games to give him a couple more years. Besides, I assume Michigan has already extended his contract.

ETA: Harbaugh's contract runs through the end of the 2021 season. Apparently, as much justjoe says the athletic department supports Harbaugh, they haven't felt compelled to extend--at least not yet.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    ETA: Harbaugh's contract runs through the end of the 2021 season. Apparently, as much justjoe says the athletic department supports Harbaugh, they haven't felt compelled to extend--at least not yet.
    It'll happen in the next 4 to 6 weeks with the excuse "it'll impact recruiting if we don't." Purdue kept repeatedly extending Danny Hope despite the team getting worse and was left with a big 'ole buyout when they rightfully fired him.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Remember Harbaugh's first year when they beat the whole Big 10 East and lost to OSU because of a horrible spot on OSU's 4th down. It's been downhill from there.

Indiana seems to have a good coach.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Karmanator
    Picture of Chance
    posted Hide Post
    Well, it has been a great run for Minnesota. Would have been nice for them to get one more upset but they were never beating Ohio State anyway.

No complaints from me. This has been a great season. Looking forward to the bowl games.

I do wish we had won either Floyd of Rosedale or the Axe. Hats of to Iowa and Wisconsin.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Facts are stubborn things
    Picture of armedprof
    posted Hide Post
    17/19 in this century. It is good to be a Buckeye.

What does everyone think of Wisconsin's chances in the rematch???

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Flying Sergeant
    posted Hide Post
    Well I’m as big a Badger fan as any, they have a tough game Saturday, obviously, they don’t have a good track record in these games, especially against Ohio State. They have done good since the two losses, but so have they. Man, I really want to come up with some way they are gonna pull off an upset, but they look too tough. I hope the Badgers pull it off and prove everybody wrong. I haven’t seen anybody give them a chance, including me. What does the armedprof think?

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Big Ten Championship:
    The Big Ten season has been building towards today since late August. The two best teams, #1 the Ohio State and #8 Wisconsin, in the Big Ten go head to head.

The game itself will in Indianapolis on Dec 7th at 7 PM on Fox. It's at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis so throw weather out the window since it's indoors and throw home field advantage out the window since it's a neutral site.

Vegas has the Buckeyes favored 15.5 to 16.5 points depending on which odds service you believe.

Statistically, tOSU is better to superior in every single statistic.

The two teams played each other 5 weeks ago and tOSU decisively won 38-7. In the last match-up, WI only managed 83 yards rushing on 34 carries (2.4 yards per carry) and 0 rushing TDs, and they only attempted 17 passes (10 completions) for a paltry 108 yards and 1 passing TD. Even worse, Coan fumbled twice and tOSU still managed 5 sacks despite WI not attempting to pass much. When tOSU had the ball they were able to effectively pass (166 yards, 2 TD, 0 INTs) and very effectively run (264 yards at 5.3 ypc for 3 TDs and 0 fumbles).

With all that said, in reality it's hard to beat a good team twice as a good team learns more from losing than the other team did from winning. Also, last week Coan had his best week of the season with 15 completions for 280 yards and 2 TDs.

In the end, I believe the Buckeyes win and cover but it'll be closer to a 21 point win than last game's 31 point win.

10 hours for y'all to make your predictions on tonight's game. Post 'em up.

Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    via Imgflip Meme Generator

One can hope Big Grin

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    So long as Fields stays healthy, tOSU wins at a walk (ie easily covers).

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Smoked filet https://imgur.com/gallery/Towzn9Q

Pre game going on for the Big10 championship game. Go Bucks!!

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post