SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21 Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Auburn, or even, Alabama, would have beat them like a drum the other night.
LMFAO, the "Roll Tide" crowd are still in denial... It would have been like last years National Title game where Bama got plundered by Clemson and Sabin looked like someone had just killed his dog. But it would have been even worse without Tua.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
LMFAO, the "Roll Tide" crowd are still in denial

It's pretty remarkable how the bammers are yammering on about how now they would beat every single team including LSU.

I don't believe I've ever so much looked forward with hope to a Michigan thumping of a team. Of course, there will be endless excuses in the wake of that too.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Pictures don’t work for you, Jim. Go back and watch the video. Lawrence crouches and actually turns his head TOWARDS the oncoming Wade. Defenders are basically going to be forced to take out a player’s knees to avoid targeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhUby8SOEbs

I personally screen grabbed those pics from the video, after watching it several times. I also saw the play live and all of the replays during the in game review. It does not matter how Lawrence twisted turned or crouched. The focus of the rule is to stop defenders from leading with the top of their head for their own safety. He clearly made 1st contact on the QB with the crown of his helmet, that had nothing to with the QBs body position and it didn't matter, for the sake of the rule, that he hit him in the head. Had Lawrence stood straight up and turned away from the hit, talking the crown of the helmet to the back, it would still be targeting.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frick...is OSU still crying about the game they lost?...Please.....Sheesh.

Have a friend that is a huge Ohio State fan, and was crying about the bad calls. Didn't have a response for the 4 times OSU was in the red zone to only come away with 9 points. But it was the refs!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Frick...is OSU still crying about the game they lost?...Please.....Sheesh.

Have a friend that is a huge Ohio State fan, and was crying about the bad calls. Didn't have a response for the 4 times OSU was in the red zone to only come away with 9 points. But it was the refs!

Overlooking the fact that one of those trips resulted in a ruled touchdown—-which was called back by the replay booth. So yeah, it was pretty much the refs.

OSU was beating the brakes off of Clemson defensively virtually the entire game. Then Wade gets ejected, resulting in 15 yards, a PI for another fifteen yards, Boom, Clemson scores. Who needs offense when you got the refs?

My favorite part of that call was that nobody on the field had even called a penalty on Wade, let alone targeting. Then the replay booth initiates the penalty and targeting in one fell swoop. Why even have refs on the field? Nope, that was a full scale hosing, and everybody knows it.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8797 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Auburn, or even, Alabama, would have beat them like a drum the other night.
LMFAO, the "Roll Tide" crowd are still in denial... It would have been like last years National Title game where Bama got plundered by Clemson and Sabin looked like someone had just killed his dog. But it would have been even worse without Tua.

It’s not just the roll tide crowd, it’s many of the SEC fans. I still think SEC stands for Sausage, Egg and Cheese. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Auburn, with 3 losses, would beat most of the top ten teams outisde of OSU, LSU and Clemson in the AP/FBS poll-rankings.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
Nope, that was a full scale hosing, and everybody knows it.

Well, if OSU scored touchdowns when they got into the Red Zone, it wouldn't matter. Wink

Truth is if you let teams like OSU, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, OU, UGA hang around into the second half, they can come back and kill you. You have to stick the knife in and sink it deep and OSU spent their wad in the first half and didn't get many TDs out of it. Clemson's Defense kept them in the game and stupid OSU players (punt penalty) and other calls sapped whatever life they had left.

And then there is throwing a pick in the end zone.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waiting for the take on Alabama vs. Michigan. I am not a fan of either and will be happy that one of them will lose. No offense to the roll tide fans or Wolverine backers. Should be an interesting matchup.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
Nope, that was a full scale hosing, and everybody knows it.

Well, if OSU scored touchdowns when they got into the Red Zone, it wouldn't matter. Wink

Truth is if you let teams like OSU, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, OU, UGA hang around into the second half, they can come back and kill you. You have to stick the knife in and sink it deep and OSU spent their wad in the first half and didn't get many TDs out of it. Clemson's Defense kept them in the game and stupid OSU players (punt penalty) and other calls sapped whatever life they had left.

And then there is throwing a pick in the end zone.

Well I can’t argue that mistakes weren’t made. The roughing the kicker boner is a good example, or the pick in the end zone. But that isn’t the point. Those blown calls determined the outcome of the game—those mistakes didn’t. Neither did the three field goals (recall that one was the end result of yet another reversed TD). On the other hand, those calls removed 14 points from the board and ejected a starting cornerback. You take those three calls out of the game and it’s 37-22 Ohio State, mistakes and all. If that isn’t putting your thumb on the scale, I don’t know what is.

I’m not actually one to get too hung up on officiating. I figure you get as many calls as you don’t. But in a huge game like this one, those calls were breathtaking.

For the record, this was the same crew that officiated the Iron Bowl, if that tells you anything.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8797 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know there are opinions galore about the officiating, but from what I have read, both the targeting and the overturned fumble were called by the replay booth to the letter of the NCAA rule book.

You can argue that the rules suck and that they don't make sense, but if you read the actual rules applied, you will see that the officials followed them to the letter.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
OSU had a great year, but I'm afraid their institutional reaction to the game is what will be most remembered about this season, and more embarrassing to the school than the Woody Hayes debacle.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
... but I'm afraid their institutional reaction to the game is what will be most remembered about this season, and more embarrassing to the school than the Woody Hayes debacle.
Roll Eyes People trolling the Big Ten thread happens EVERY year before/after a tOSU bowl game but you may have just taken home the trophy for the dumbest statement in the nearly 10 years of annual Big Ten threads. Hyperbole can’t even excuse your statement.

A head coach punching an opposing player during a play in a Bowl Game is a once in a lifetime event but college football fans whining about officiating to this level happens monthly every year between Sept and January.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:...fans whining about officiating to this level happens monthly every year between Sept and January.

I see you missed the point entirely. I said "institutional reaction", and was clearly not speaking about the fans. Woody was part of the institution, as are some of the most vocal now.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:...fans whining about officiating to this level happens monthly every year between Sept and January.

I see you missed the point entirely. I said "institutional reaction", and was clearly not speaking about the fans. Woody was part of the institution, as are some of the most vocal now.
A distinction without a difference. Regardless of whether it’s tOSU fans’ whining or institution’s whining, it’s ridiculous to state that it’s more embarrassing than tOSU’s head coach entering the field of play during a bowl game and punching an opposing player. That embarrassing feat has not happened in another bowl game since Woody did it in 1978, but whining about officiating happens every bowl season. Your statement is so ludicrous that I suspect trolling which is something that occurs every year during Big Ten Championship, tOSU’s bowl game, or both.

To point back to page 1 of this thread:
quote:
Requests:
  • Keep this thread about the Big Ten teams & players, the weekend’s Big Ten match-ups and opponents, kudos for Big Ten players/coaches/administrators, and Big Ten conference champ predictions.
  • If you’re a fan of a team from another conference, join in for some good-natured ribbing when your team plays a Big Ten team. Otherwise, please start a thread for your favorite conference.
  • It’s just a game so let’s keep the ribbing good-natured.

• Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    New Year's Day Bowl Games:
  • #18 MN vs #12 Auburn at noon on ESPN in Tampa, FL, for the Outback Bowl. Depending on which odds service you believe, the Golden Gophers are 7 to 7.5 point underdogs. Statistically, they're pretty even matched on offense, but Auburn is nearly 4 points per game stingier on defense. They have faced zero common opponents. I'm rooting for MN, but frankly IL and WI showed future opponents how to beat MN. I predict Auburn wins but fails to cover.
  • #14 UofM vs #13 Alabama at noon on ABC in Orlando, FL, for the Citrus Bowl. The Wolverines are unanimously 7.5 point underdogs. Statistically, Alabama is much better on offense (110 yards and 15 points per game), and on defense UofM gives up slightly less yards but gives up about a point more per game. They have no common opponents, but UofM has too much pride to schedule Western Carolina School for the Blind (i.e. non-conference creampuffs that Alabama schedules) Big Grin. If Tua was playing I would predict a blowout, but I think UofM follows LSU's and Auburn's blueprints to pull off the upset.
  • #6 Oregon vs #8 WI at 4:00 on ESPN in Pasadena, CA, for the grand daddy of them all (i.e. the Rose Bowl). The Badgers are unanimously favored by 3 points. Statistically, they're within 1.5 points of each other on both offense and defense. I predict the Badgers win and cover.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

•  
    women dug his snuff
    and his gallant stroll
    posted Hide Post
    Over/under: Michigan loses by a larger point differential than Oklahoma?

I'll take the over.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I started with nothing,
    Picture of stiab
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    A distinction without a difference...but whining about officiating happens every bowl season.

Huge difference that apparently you can't see. And no, public whining (your words) from this high a level does not happen every bowl season.

Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    OK, guys

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post