SIGforum
The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7840010064

November 24, 2019, 09:58 AM
justjoe
The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
Early in this thread, when UM was squeaking past Army, getting clobbered by Wisconsin, I said that next week's game was going to be a blowout as bad as last year, maybe worse. (BTW, back then I said that tOSU was the best team in the country.) But this is a different Michigan team, and I think it's all on Sean Patterson's shoulders. If he has a good game, it will be close. If he has a great game, consistently connecting with Donovan Peoples-Jones and Nico Collins-- and this could happen-- Michigan could win.

Yes, I actually said that.... Eek

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."
November 24, 2019, 10:15 AM
tatortodd
Let the good natured ribbing commence:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
November 24, 2019, 11:56 AM
TMats

November 24, 2019, 07:41 PM
justjoe
^^^ Just as I thought, they're afraid to play Rutgers.

I had dinner out with my son and daughter, and I said, in passing, that I thought Michigan might beat Ohio State next week. They both cracked up. Then I told them I wasn't joking....

November 24, 2019, 07:46 PM
RHINOWSO
Truth of the matter is Michigan can beat OSU - OSU almost lost to PSU and if they handle the ball like that again, who knows.
November 25, 2019, 08:14 AM
joatmonv
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Truth of the matter is Michigan can beat OSU - OSU almost lost to PSU and if they handle the ball like that again, who knows.

Michigan has a chance every year when they play OSU. I look forward to this game every year but I also dread it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
November 28, 2019, 10:58 AM
tatortodd

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
November 29, 2019, 01:16 PM
tatortodd
It's rivalry weekend in the Big Ten. All 14 teams are playing and 5 out of 7 games are rivalries.

Friday:
#17 @ NE at 1:30 CST on BTN - depending on which odds service you believe the Hawkeyes are favored by 4.5 to 5 points. Statistically, NE is slightly better on offense and IA is vastly superior on defense. As ar as common opponents, they both squeeked by IL, NE squeeked by NWU but IA whooped 'em, NE got whooped by MN and IA narrowly won, both squeeked by Purdue, and both lost to WI but IA lost by less. IA wins and covers.

I'll do the Saturday game predictions tonight or tomorrow.

November 29, 2019, 02:08 PM
MRMATT
Rooting for Iowa. Looking good so far.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.
November 29, 2019, 04:46 PM
justjoe
Michigan 27, Ohio St 24. Tie breaker field goal. Big Grin

Since I'm very likely ridiculously wrong anyway, let me expand a bit. I think Ohio State's vulnerability is pass defense, especially downfield passes. Their only opponent with a strong passing attack was Penn State, and we saw how that went: this game was Ohio State's only real challenge all season.

Michigan's passing game has made two quantum leaps of improvement in the last two games. Patterson is not entirely reliable, however. He gets rattled. He doesn't have a ton of confidence-- as Fields does, for instance.

I don't think we've seen the best of Nico Collins yet. He is a great receiver who hasn't gotten as much action as he deserves.

As I said earlier, Patterson has a good game = a close game, with tOSU winning. Patterson has a great game and UM, at home in the big house, pulls off an incredible upset.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: justjoe,

November 29, 2019, 05:04 PM
tatortodd
Friday Wrap-up:
#17 @ NE at 1:30 CST on BTN - I was correct on IA winning but wrong on covering. Looked like a blowout at half-time, but hats off to the Cornhuskers for battling back and taking the Hawkeyes to the buzzer. That makes 5 straight years for the Hawkeyes possessing the Hero's Trophy.

Kudos:
  • IA RB Goodson - 116 yards at 8.9 yards per carry and a TD.
  • IA returner Smith-Marsette - returned a kick for a 95 yard TD, had 1 rush for 45 yards and a TD, and a caught a pass for 22 yards.

Bowl Eligibility:
  • IA - it was their 9th win so likely just upgraded to a better bowl
  • NE - that marks their 7th loss so they're not bowl eligible.

• Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

November 29, 2019, 05:49 PM
    C-Dubs
    I tuned into the Hawkeyes/‘Huskers game with a few minutes remaining in the 1st half, and at at the it looked to be a blowout.

Then the Hawkeyes had something like 5 consecutive 3-and-outs, while the ‘Huskers found their offense, and next thing you know, the game was tied.

Despite a couple homer referee calls (like the missed face mask, but found unsportsmanlike retaliatory call, and the incomplete pass which sure looked like a good catch to me), the Hawkeyes pulled off a last second game-winning field goal for the 2nd year in a row.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    November 30, 2019, 10:58 AM
    tatortodd
    Rivalry weekend continues in the Big Ten. 12 teams are playing and 4 out of 6 games are rivalries. Remember, without college sports this wouldn’t be disgusting:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/bI34H0YJPyc

Saturday (all times Central Time Zone):
  • #1 tOSU @ #13 UofM at 11:00 on Fox - depending on which odds service you believe the Buckeyes are favored by 8.5 to 9 points. One of the greatest rivalries in College sports will be played today. Statistically, tOSU has a big edge on points scored and rushing offense, but they’re pretty close on pass offense and tOSU has an edge on points allowed and pass defense. As far as common opponents, the both whooped Rutgers, MD, MSU, and IU but UofM lost badly to WI and tOSU whooped them, UofM narrowly lost to PSU and tOSU won. Buckeyes win and cover.
  • NWU @ IL at 11:00 on FS1 - the Illini are unanimously favored by 6.5 points. The Illini win and cover.
  • IU @ Purdue at 11:00 on ESPN2 - the Hosers are unanimously favored by 7 points. Statistically, IU is better in every category. However, I don’t care as the Spoilermakers make an appearance to pull off the upset to keep the Old Oaken Bucket in its rightful home.
  • #12 WI @ #8 MN at 2:30 on ABC - the Badgers are unanimously favored by 3 points. Statistically, they’re pretty even overall with MN being better at passing, WI being better at rushing, and pretty even on defense. The real difference maker is that MN gives up a TD more per game. As far as common opponents, MN narrowly beat Purdue and WI soundly beat them, MN beat IL and WI narrowly lost (to be fair, MN played IL before their “awakening”), MN drubbed NE but WI narrowly won, MN narrowly lost to IU and WI narrowly won, and they both beat NWU. I think both D’s good enough to force their opponent to pass and WI has a mediocre QB but MN has a very good QB. MN pulls off the upset.
  • Rutgers @ #10 PSU at 2:30 on BTN - the Nittany Lions are unanimously favored by 40 points. PSU wins but fails to cover.
  • MD @ MSU at 2:30 on FS1 - depending on which odds service you believe the Spartans are favored by 22.5 to 23 points. The Sparties win and cover.

• Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

November 30, 2019, 11:13 AM
    MRMATT
    Wow! Didn't take Michigan long, but blew the PAT.

28-16, OSU at the half. Michigan made a few huge mistakes, or the score would be much closer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MRMATT,

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.
    November 30, 2019, 01:37 PM
    justjoe
    Did I say Michigan would beat Ohio State?

Joking!

I was jooooking!

Roll Eyes

November 30, 2019, 02:21 PM
    tatortodd
    Purdue just tied it up with 2:48 left!

November 30, 2019, 02:33 PM
    PowerSurge
    Xichigan is our bichigan.

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
    November 30, 2019, 02:50 PM
    joatmonv
    quote:
    Originally posted by PowerSurge:
    Xichigan is our bichigan.

Big Grin
    I was nervous heading into today but my fears have been laid to rest.
    O-H

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
    November 30, 2019, 02:50 PM
    bcereuss
    I-O!
    November 30, 2019, 03:00 PM
    PowerSurge
    I hope Harbaugh has a long stay at Xichigan. Smile

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1