The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7840010064

November 16, 2019, 02:37 PM
RHINOWSO
The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Take away that controversial muffed punt early in the game and the failed fake punt, and Indiana probably wins that game.
Yeah, coach made a bad bad call.
November 16, 2019, 02:40 PM
Johnny 3eagles
If PSU wouldn't have scored, IU would have won easily.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
November 16, 2019, 03:31 PM
mttaylor1066
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Take away that controversial muffed punt early in the game and the failed fake punt, and Indiana probably wins that game.
Yeah, coach made a bad bad call.

Seemed to me that the up man on the,IU punting team did not make it clear to the snapper that IU was going to kick, not fake. The up man wasn't ready to catch the snap... so I don't think the coaching staff is to blame.

Good game by my Hoosiers... especially with Philyor out of the game. Would have been an improbable win but they stayed in the game until the end.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.
November 16, 2019, 06:07 PM
TMats
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Was hoping to see repeat of the Badgers/Huskers game from 5 years ago, almost to the day, when Melvin Gordon ran for 408yds on 25 carries, in only 3 quarters of play.

Alas, it didn't happen. Only ~230yds rushing for Taylor today.

Yeah, they won. Actually Taylor racked up 204 on 25 carries. Nebraska’s Dedrick Mills ran for 188 on 17. Huskers also put up 493 total on Wisconsin, but only the final score matters.

November 16, 2019, 06:22 PM
Johnny 3eagles
Hawkeyes just finished the unbeaten run of Minnesota

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
November 17, 2019, 11:26 AM
tatortodd
Week 12 Predictions (all times Central time):
  • IU @ #9 PSU at 11:00 on ABC - I was correct on PSU winning but incorrect on covering. After UofM put MSU out of reach, I switched over to this game and it was a good game. The season stats played out as IU gives up a TD per game more than PSU and that was the difference. Honorable mention kudos to IU's QB Ramsey for 31 completions for 371 yards and a TD without an INT. Nobody on PSU had a statistically significant game so it was a good team effort, and they won the turnover battle (2 fumbles recovered vs 1 lost).
  • #14 WI @ NE at 11:00 on BTN - As predicted, WI won and covered. Being bad at defending the run is recipe for disaster when facing the Badgers. Frost has a long way to go on bringing the defense up to standard, but the offense showed promise. Honorable mention kudos to NE's QB Martinez (220 yards passing, 1 passing TD, 1 INT, 89 yards rushing, and 1 rushing TD) and NE's RB Mills (11.1 yards per carry for 188 yards and a rushing TD).
  • MSU @ #15 UofM at 11:00 on Fox - As predicted, UofM won and covered. It was a good game for about 25 minutes and then MSU rolled over and died. MSU D's season long vulnerable to the pass reared its ugly head yesterday and they made Patterson look like a world beater. MSU is circling the drain, and I'm not sure why.
  • U Mass @ NWU at 11:00 on BTN - as always, I don't waste my time discussing cream puff non-conference match-ups.
  • #2 tOSU @ Rutgers at 2:30 on BTN - As predicted, tOSU won but surprisingly didn't cover the huge spread. Even more surprised Rutgers was able to score 21 which included 2 rushing TDs, and tOSU only had 1 sack. Honorable mentioned kudos (doing this to Rutgers isn't full-blown kudos) to tOSU's Fields (15 passes, 305 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs) and Dobbins' 2 rushing TDs in their limited playing time.
  • #8 MN @ #20 IA at 3:00 on Fox - I guess Vegas was right in setting IA as 3 point favorites. I was incorrect in both winner and spread. It was an exciting game all the way to the end. Ultimately, MN's inability to execute (couldn't run and couldn't convert passing yards into points) coupled with IA's tough D was the difference. The Hawkeyes have an awesome record at Kinnick Stadium vs Top 25 teams.

Kudos:
  • WI RB Taylor - had 25 carries for 204 yards and 2 TDs. Second consecutive week with 8+ yards per carry. Only knock is he fumbled.
  • WI offensive line - the hogs gave up 0 sack allowing Coan to be adequate. Also, they really opened up holes for the RBs to the tune of 7.1 yards per carry, 320 yards rushing, and 2 rushing TDs.
  • UofM QB Patterson - 384 yards passing for an incredible 16 yards per catch, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, and an incredible 210.5 QB rating. 5th best QB performance in all of NCAAF this week.
  • UofM WR Bell - 9 receptions for 150 yards.
  • UofM defense - held MSU to 54 yards rushing for a measly 1.8 yards per carry, 5 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 2 INTs, and Lewerke's 166 yards passing were meaningless.
  • IA's defense - they decimated MN's potent running attack (measly 2 yards per carry and 7 tackles for loss) and made MN's offense 1 dimensional. They really got after the QB with 6 sacks and 2 hurries. Additionally, the coaching staff had the DBs and LBs giving Tanner false reads and then shifting at the last moment which threw off their timing passes.
  • IA QB Stanley - had a nice first half with 2 passing TDs which coincided with IA's defense dominating the first half.

Bowl Eligibility:
  • 8 teams are bowl eligible. tOSU has 10 wins, PSU and MN both have 9 wins; WI & UofM both have 8 wins, IA & IU both have 7 wins; IL has 6 wins.
  • 3 teams are theoretically still able to make a bowl. NE, MSU, and Purdue all needs to win both remaining games. Purdue has a particularly tough road with remaining games against 8 win WI and 7 win IU.
  • 3 teams are eliminated from post season play. Rutgers, NWU, and MD.

Big Ten Championship:
  • East. tOSU controls their own destiny and the next 2 games are against the #2 (PSU) and #3 (UofM) teams.
  • West. MN is still in the cat bird seat and controls their own destiny. They face 2 win NWU on the road next weekend and then hosts the #2 team (WI) in the final game of the regular season.

• Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
    November 18, 2019, 07:56 PM
    armedprof
    OSU failed to score from the one yard line. OSU muffed a punt leading to a Rutgers score. I do believe most of the OSU players were not focused as well as usual. I wonder why????

Did you know that some ratings services say Rutgers would lose to the 30 top FCS teams... Pathetic. Why are they allowed in the conference???

Do, Or do not. There is no try.
    November 18, 2019, 08:08 PM
    PowerSurge
    Rutgers and Maryland have no business being in the big 10. I said it then and I still say it. It’s all about $$.

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
    November 23, 2019, 10:06 AM
    tatortodd
    All 14 teams are playing this weekend. Cool temperatures may be a factor affecting receivers, fumbles, punts, and FGs in most games, but rain may affect one game.

Week 13 Predictions (all times Central time):
  • #8 PSU @ #2 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox - depending on which odds service you believe the Buckeyes are 18.5 to 19.5 point favorites. Should be a particularly nasty 2nd half with low 40s and rain so there is a real advantage to whomever gets off to a a quick start in the first half. Statistically, tOSU is slightly better or better in every category but rushing offense where they're vastly superior which is important for wet weather. As far as common opponents, they both whipped MD and MSU, but versus IU PSU squeeked by and tOSU curb stomped them. Buckeyes win and cover.
  • #10 MN @ NWU at 11:00 on ABC - depending on which odds service you believe the Golden Gophers are 13.5 to 145 point favorites. As coach Fleck likes to say, the Gophers are 0-0 in the NWU season and that is all that matters today. I think MN bounces back from their loss and trounces a team that can only beat creampuff nonconference opponents. Gophers win and cover.
  • IL @ #17 IA at 11:00 on BTN - the Hawkeyes are unanimously 14.5 point favorites. Statistically, IL is superior on offense and IA is superior on defense. As far as common opponents, both trounced Rutgers, both narrowly lost to UofM, IA squeeked by Purdue whereas IL whooped us. Oddly enough IA lost to WI but IL won, and IA squeeked by IA but IL got trounced (to be fair it was the week before they turned their whole season around). In a stunner, the Illini pull off the upset.
  • MSU @ Rutgers at 11:00 on FS1 - the Spartans are unanimously 21.5 point favorites. MSU is statistically superior and they have 2 Big Ten wins versus Rutgers 0. If MSU loses Dantonio should be fired. MSU wins and covers.
  • #13 UofM @ IU at 2:30 on ESPN - depending on which odds service you believe the Wolverines are 9.5 to 10 point favorites. Too bad ties are no longer possible in college football because these are my two favorite teams to root against. Statistically, they're even on points scored but IU puts up about 10% more yards per game. On defense, UofM is superior in all aspects. As far as common opponents: both whooped Rutgers, both lost by a TD to PSU, UofM whooped MD but IU only squeeked by, and UofM curb stomped MSU but IU lost. UofM wins and covers.
  • NE @ MD at 2:30 on BTN - depending on which odds service you believe the Cornhuskers are 6 to 6.5 point favorites. NE is vulnerable against the pass and the good news for them is MD isn't a good passing team. On the other side of the ball, Martinez gives NE a passing attack (or at least RPO) and MD is awful against the pass. As far as common opponents both were curb stomped by tOSU and MN, both barely lost to IU, and NE narrowly lost to Purdue but MD was whooped. Cornhuskers win and cover.
  • Purdue @ #12 WI at 3:00 on Fox - depending on which odds service you believe the Badgers are 24.5 to 25 point favorites. Purdue needs to win to remain mathematically bowl eligible. On offense, Purdue is vastly superior passing and WI is vastly superior rushing. On defense, WI is vastly superior in every aspect. As far as common opponents, Purdue narrowly lost to IA and WI squeeked by, WI narrowly lost to IL and Purdue got whooped, Purdue squeeked by NE and WI won by 16, Purdue beat NWU by 2 and WI beat NWU by 9. My heart says to pick Purdue, but I'm going with my brain with the twist that WI wins but fails to cover.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
    November 23, 2019, 10:08 AM
    RHINOWSO
    PSU vs OSU. I'm rooting for PSU just for CHAOS, but I think OSU will handle them easily.
    November 23, 2019, 11:55 AM
    MRMATT
    So the Big 10 teams get to beat the shit out of one another, while Alabama plays Western Carolina. Somebody please explain to me why they're ranked no.5 with that type of schedule.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.
    November 23, 2019, 12:45 PM
    RHINOWSO
    quote:
    So the Big 10 teams get to beat the shit out of one another, while Alabama plays Western Carolina. Somebody please explain to me why they're ranked no.5 with that type of schedule.
    You been listening to Urban Myer wank about schedules and rankings during the pregame, right? Seems to be the party line...

I don't disagree that Alabama is over-rated, but still listening to that jackass Urban cry on TV for his old team is like watching a 5 year old cry because he didn't get ice cream after dinner.
    November 23, 2019, 01:01 PM
    MRMATT
    Nope, missed the pre-game. I just don't like when any ranked team plays a team that would have a tough time beating the Little Sisters of the Poor.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.
    November 23, 2019, 01:21 PM
    RHINOWSO
    Agreed, tons of politics in the College Football rankings, schedules, etc.

Looks like PSU got some groove back with the backup QB...
    November 23, 2019, 01:52 PM
    MRMATT
    Ouch! That TD hurt. 28-17, OSU.

November 23, 2019, 03:06 PM
    stiab
    Just watched OSU and PSU, don't have a dog in that fight, just like football. That one announcer was terrible, obvious bias for OSU players, and talking like he was announcing a wrestling match. Hope I don't have to listen to him again anytime soon.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY
    November 23, 2019, 03:25 PM
    RHINOWSO
    Yeah, I was hoping for a PSU win and when the B/U QB came in they gave OSU a run for awhile, but it wasn't enough in the end - made for an entertaining game for awhile though.
    November 23, 2019, 04:38 PM
    C-Dubs
    Helluva field goal to end the half in the Badgers/Boilermakers game.

62 yards. Woof!

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    November 23, 2019, 08:45 PM
    tatortodd
    Week 13 Wrap-up:
  • #8 PSU @ #2 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox - I was correct on Buckeyes winning but wrong on covering. I missed the first half, but the second half was fun to watch. tOSU's pass rush is relentless and they really kept PSU's passing attack in check. PSU has a good D and tOSU was still dominant. More in subsequent sections.
  • #10 MN @ NWU at 11:00 on ABC - as predicted, Gophers won and covered. MN's rushing attack was back and they were very balanced this week with 211 yards through the air and 212 yards on the ground. Gopher's D didn't give up many yards and outside of garbage time only gave up 14 points.
  • IL @ #17 IA at 11:00 on BTN - I was wrong in Illini pulling off the upset, but correct that IA wouldn't cover the spread. I didn't see the game but am perplexed in 308 yards passing and 17 yards per catch translating into zero passing TDs. I'm equally perplexed in the Illini rushing for 4.9 yards per carry for 192 yards resulting in 0 rushing TDs. As usual, the good news for IA fans is that their defense is good enough to cover for an offense that can only put up 19 points.
  • MSU @ Rutgers at 11:00 on FS1 - As expected, MSU won and covered. No kudos since the opponent was Rutgers.
  • #13 UofM @ IU at 2:30 on ESPN - as expected, UofM won and covered. IU got off to a quick start and were competitive for 1.5 quarters. Then, UofM's offense caught fire and their defense buckled down forcing IU drives to end in punts 5x, fumble 1x and downs 1x.
  • NE @ MD at 2:30 on BTN - As predicted, Cornhuskers won and covered. NE domininated in every aspect.
  • Purdue @ #12 WI at 3:00 on Fox - tough season full of key injuries for Purdue, but man is the future bright with all of these freshman and sophomores playing well enough to hang with WI for a half. Managed to put up 326 yards passing and 3 passing TDs against a very good defense, and won the turnover battle 4-1. In the end, WI's rushing attack is just too dominant and their rush D is also too dominant making Purdue more 1-dimensional than normal.

Kudos:
  • tOSU offense - 2nd most points PSU gave up this season. 188 yards passing and 2 passing TDs, 229 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs. The fumbleitis is concerning with their two offensive stars putting the ball on the ground 4x and losing 3 of them (conversely only player to fumble on PSU was back-up QB).
  • tOSU Defense - PSU is a good passing team and Hamler is very dangerous. tOSU held them to 128 yards passing and Hamler only had 3 catches and 0 TDs. 5 sacks and 1 INT certainly helped. They forced PSU to rush the ball 36x for less than 3 yards per carry and had 9 tackles for loss.
  • tOSU d-lineman Chase Young - first game back in nearly a month and he had 3 sacks and 9 tackles which included 2 tackles for a loss. He now owns the tOSU record for sacks in a season.
  • MN QB Morgan - 15 completions for 211 yards and 4 TDs.
  • MN WR Johnson - 7 receptions for 125 yards and a TD.
  • MN DB Winfield Jr - young man is originally from just a few miles from where I live and has a real nose for the ball. 11 tackles (9 solo) and a sack this week.
  • IA defense - 3 sacks, 6 tackles for loss, 2 INTs and a fumble recovery all helped hold IL to 10 points off 336 yards offense.
  • UofM QB Patterson - 20 completions for 366 yards and 5 TDs. He has really been on fire the last 2 games with 700+ yards passing and 9 passing TDs.
  • NE o-line - they dominated the line of scrimmage paving the way for 305 yards rushing and 4 rushing TDs, 226 yards passing and 2 passing TDs, and only gave up 1 sack.
  • NE defense - pure domination. Forced 4 fumbles. Only gave up 57 yards passing and the 6 sacks certainly helped. Only gave up 149 yards rushing and had 7 tackles for loss.
  • WI RB Taylor - now owns the NCAA record for number of 200 yard games, and most yards in a career for a junior. Today, he had 222 yards rushing for 7.9 yards per carry and TD.
  • WI o-line - the hogs paved the way for 403 yards rushing at 7.3 yards per carry and 4 rushing TDs, and gave Coen enough time to look adequate.

Bowl Eligibility:
  • 8 teams are bowl eligible. tOSU has 11 wins; MN has 10 wins, PSU, UofM and MN have 9 wins; IA has 8 wins, IU has 7 wins; and IL has 6 wins.
  • 2 teams are theoretically still able to make a bowl. NE and MSU both need to win next weekend. NE hosts the #17 Hawkeyes and MSU hosts the hapless Terps.
  • 4 teams are eliminated from post season play. Today, Purdue joined Rutgers, NWU, and MD as the Big Ten teams that will be sitting home in December.

Big Ten Championship:
  • East. Congrats to tOSU for clinching the East.
  • West. MN is still in the cat bird seat and controls their own destiny. They host the #2 team (WI) next weekend and winner goes to the championship.

November 24, 2019, 09:36 AM
    joatmonv
    Good game with the Bucks/PSU. I was sweating a little.
    Concerning about the fumbles and hopefully it stops. Can't do that and win every game.
    Next weekend is The Game. OSU will go to a bowl but to me, that's secondary. Have to beat TTUN.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.