SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
The Big Ten Season begins on Thursday, August 29th, so it’s time for the annual Sigforum Big Ten football thread.

Requests:
  • Keep this thread about the Big Ten teams & players, the weekend’s Big Ten match-ups and opponents, kudos for Big Ten players/coaches/administrators, and Big Ten conference champ predictions.
  • If you’re a fan of a team from another conference, join in for some good-natured ribbing when your team plays a Big Ten team. Otherwise, please start a thread for your favorite conference.
  • It’s just a game so let’s keep the ribbing good-natured.

Season Predictions:
  • The pundits are predicting my beloved Boilermakers to finish 6th (out of 7) in the Big Ten West. Sophomore sensation Rondale Moore has been named ESPN's Most Exciting Player for this year (thanks for the link Shaql). Third year head coach, Jeff Brohm, has a much more exciting team this year and will have the team good enough to make another bowl, compete with the upper echelons, and not embarrass themselves against the bottom dwellers. However, they will fall short of toppling PSU, IA, and WI on the road.
  • Many pundits are predicting the Wal-Mart Wolverines will win the Big Ten East. I like Harbaugh a lot, and this is a make it or break it year for him. With a new head coach at the team down south I think this could be their year.
  • The November 30th tOSU at UofM match-up will decide the Eastern Conference just like the good ‘ole days.
  • The November 16th WI at NE match-up will decide the Western Conference.
  • The Badgers and Wolverines will be in the Big Ten Championship, and the Badgers will win.

Goodish natured ribbing:
  • {new find for 2019} Not So Pure Michigan: UofM, The Harbaugh Edition

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h82kFMEvfZM
  • Not So Pure Michigan: UofM Football

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/01Kz6Rw99Kk
  • Not So Pure Michigan: Michigan State Football

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/VZNG802zfZ4
  • Not So Pure Michigan: Wisconsin and Ohio

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ae_SxDnD2W4
  • Q: If you have a car containing a Buckeyes running back, a Buckeyes linebacker, and a Buckeyes coach, who is driving the car?
    A: The cop. In all seriousness, in order to be a contender for the playoffs the Buckeyes need to keep their players (and coaches) out of handcuffs and in the classroom.

Kudos:
  • Week 1 – NWU for scheduling Stanford who is always a PAC-12 contender.
    Also, MN for scheduling SD State who is always a contender for the FCS championship and every few years takes down a Power 5 conference team.
  • Week 2 – MD for scheduling Syracuse who had a good season last year, and it’s likely the best non-conference game of Week 2
  • Week 3 – Purdue for scheduling TCU. I’m a huge fan of scheduling real opponents prior to the Big Ten season and despise the practice of Power 5 conference teams playing cream puffs to boost their wins. Also, two nice intrastate rivalries with IA at IA St and PSU hosting Pitt.
  • Week 4 – Rutgers for scheduling Boston College (although, shame on Boston College for scheduling the Rutgers cream puffs).

2019-20 Schedule:

EDIT NOTES:
    1. Every week I change the title to give page # for this week's discussion of the games.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of CQB60
    posted Hide Post
    I’d like to see both Rutgers & Maryland back in some other conference. Go Badgers Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    Boilermakers!

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Flying Sergeant
    posted Hide Post
    Thank you Tatortodd for another glorious Big Ten thread. The Badgers season, conference anyway, will be pretty much decided right away when we play those ass ponies from Michigan right away. Damn Harbaugh has this states number no matter who he’s coaching. So I’m looking forward mostly to Norte Dame next year. Seriously, this is the best time of the year, I love college football, and let the games begin! Go Badgers!,

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Let me be the first to say that this is Michigan's year!! They are championship bound!! No doubt about it. Yes, they are always overhyped and then quickly fizzle, but not THIS year, no siree Bob! Big Ten, national championship, Go Blue!

IF-- and this is a big if-- they can get past Middle Tennessee State.

Roll Eyes

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Membership has its privileges
    Picture of P-220
    posted Hide Post
    Go Blue.

Moved to Ohio in '74 and it is tough to be a Michigan fan, especially over the past decade. However, I am still a Michigan fan, behind enemy lines. That said, I am not convinced (sadly), that this is their year.

Go Blue.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by pwelch001:
    The Badgers season, conference anyway, will be pretty much decided right away when we play those ass ponies from Michigan right away. Damn Harbaugh has this states number no matter who he’s coaching.
    With UofM in the East and WI in the West, a loss only matters in national rankings and division tie-breakers for Big Ten Championship. Also, when teams face each other twice in a season (e.g. September and Big Ten Championship) the team that wins the first game tends to lose the second game since good teams tend to learn more when they lose.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    “Irrational exuberance” we go from 4 & 8 to 9 & 3 this year. HUSKERS have an easy schedule this year.

I want to see what HCSF & his assistants have put together. We have not been relevant for eons.
    As always, GO BIG RED!

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/g4mv4TyrwQs [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Resident Undertaker
    Picture of BigCity
    posted Hide Post
    CQB60,
    Pound sand. Go Terps!

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not as lean, not as mean,
    Still a Marine
    Picture of Gibb
    posted Hide Post
    My family is deep in Nittany Lion country, and we are all hoping for good things with PSU.

I'm thinking 9-3, with Michigan, at MSU, and at OSU being the toughest games.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    One more here hoping for an outstanding season for the Nittany Lions. We Are . . Penn State!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Penn State fan here too and hope they do well but I think they had their chance when they had McSorley and Saquon Barkley. That being said, they have some up and comers so here’s hoping!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Love the videos Todd. Big Grin
    I am waiting to see what the Bucks are gonna be this year. I'll watch every game and I'll be a fan, never a question about that. Could be an interesting season.
    The only game I really care about honestly is Michigan. The law of averages is going to come into play some year.
    Go Bucks!

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    I waited a day to post because I’m not sure what to say about the upcoming season for the Huskers. Nebraska fans have always been an optimistic bunch, even during the abysmal Mike Riley years there were lots of 9-3 predictions from the fan base—and from ex-players too, who probably should have known better.

There is a different feeling about the program under Scott Frost. You hear him talking about the progress the team is making in strength and conditioning, the team unity, and you see him competing for players the SEC wants.

I think 8-4 is very obtainable and, given their schedule and the teams they have at home, 9-3 is sure possible. Iowa plays their toughest games on the road. Minnesota has earned my respect, and they have a favorable home schedule. Northwestern has most of their tough games at home, and Wisconsin just plays a tough B1G schedule this year.

I don’t think Wisconsin makes it to the title game because of their schedule. Like Nebraska, I never know what to make of Northwestern, but I don’t think they make it either. Iowa, too many tough road games. I like Minnesota’s coach and they could be there. I think it comes down to them or Nebraska representing the West.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    AP preseason rankings:

1 Clemson
    2 Alabama
    3 Georgia
    4 Oklahoma
    5 Ohio State
    6 LSU
    7 Michigan
    8 Florida
    9 Notre Dame
    10 Texas
    11 Oregon
    12 Texas A&M
    13 Washington
    14 Utah
    15 Penn State
    16 Auburn
    17 UCF
    18 Michigan State
    19 Wisconsin
    20 Iowa
    21 Iowa State
    22 Syracuse
    23 Washington State
    24 Nebraska
    25 Stanford

https://www.pennlive.com/penns...eres-penn-state.html

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Unwritten AP preseason rankings rules require that:
  • Yoder Dame and University of Texas must be in the Top 10 so their fans can complain that we were Top 10 then then x and y happened and the season didn't turn out the way we thought it would. We'll get 'em next year...
  • Texas A&M has to be on the cusp of the Top 10 so their fans continue the false belief that they're fixin' to break into the upper echelons of the SEC.
  • You must have 2 Big Ten teams in Top 10 and four or five 11 thru 25.
  • You must have 4 SEC teams in Top 10 and two or three 11 thru 25.

•  
    The Karmanator
    Picture of Chance
    posted Hide Post
    Really hoping Minnesota can keep getting better this year. I saw one article that had them winning the West so I am going to pretend that is going to be true - at least until the season starts. Smile

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    This is not good news:
    quote:
    Purdue loses running back Tario Fuller indefinitely

By Michael McCammon 13 hours ago

Tario Fuller, Purdue’s leading running back, is out indefinitely following a significant injury suffered during the team’s scrimmage last Saturday. Fuller, a fifth-year senior, had surgery on Sunday to repair two fractures in his jaw.

Boilermaker’s head coach Jeff Brohm confirmed the news following the team’s practice on Monday.

"It was a fluke thing that happened on special teams. I feel bad for him because he's worked hard, was in good shape and ready to go. He'll be out indefinitely and I don't know the time frame."

The loss is a blow to a running backs room with little experience.

“We’ve got to get everyone ready to play,” Brohm said following Saturday’s scrimmage.

Sophomore Zander Horvath has been elevated to the first string responsibilities, with a pair of freshmen – Da’Joun Hewitt and King Doerue – along with walk-on Alfred Armour fill out the available depth chart. Horvath appeared in 13 games last fall, rushing for 42 yards and a touchdown on nine carries. He also pulled in four receptions for 38 yards.

“Now Zander is going to consume to carry the load.”

The two newcomers, who were part of the program’s top 25 recruiting class, will be pressed into a greater roles immediately. Doerue was the No. 36 rated running back nationally by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, while Hewitt was listed as No. 87 in the country.

“It’s going to make that position thinner,” Brohm said. “The young freshmen are going to have to step in and play.”

The needed impact is no secret, but Brohm doesn’t want to overload them.

“They are spinning right now," Brohm said following the scrimmage. "We can’t ask them to do too much.”

On Monday, Brohm added that both rookies have been dinged up a bit during fall camp, but they should each be ready to go for the opener.

"Both of them have an opportunity to play," he said. "We will see which one steps above the other. But both will be ready to play and we are gonna use both of them.”

Brohm will instead, utilize sophomore Rondale Moore at times and seek to add new wrinkles to the offense to help alleviate the workload.

“We’ll use Rondale in the backfield some and do some creative things to give [Horvath] a spell.”

Moore, who as a freshman was selected as the Paul Hornung Award recipient as the nation’s most versatile player, totaled 213 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 21 rush attempts in 2018.

Purdue opens the 2019 campaign on August 30 at Nevada.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Today marks the last Saturday until December without Big Ten football. The season starts Thursday.

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Today marks the last Saturday until December without Big Ten football. The season starts Thursday.

Thank the football Gods.
    Only problem now is football vs. riding on nice Saturdays.
    I can usually do both depending on when Ohio State is on.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post