SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Hunt for Red October
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hunt for Red October Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
I still chuckle at the scene where the SH-60B drops the bright orange training torp and James Earl Jones pushes the self destruct button Big Grin

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Great book and movie.

I started re-reading all his books and I’m on The Bear and The Dragon now. I forgot how long winded he got in his later books. Honestly I’m having a hard tike getting through this one. Nothing beats his earlier stuff though.

I’ve been tempted to do this several times, but just haven’t gotten it done. Either our public library has certain booms checked out or they don’t have it...and I really want to read them in order and not have dry spells when a book isn’t available.

Might have to just buy them all...

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I was at Mare Island Naval Shipyard when that book was released. It caused quite a stir about some of the technical content.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I would like to have seen Montana.

Posts: 2457 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great book and movie.

I started re-reading all his books and I’m on The Bear and The Dragon now. I forgot how long winded he got in his later books. Honestly I’m having a hard tike getting through this one. Nothing beats his earlier stuff though.

Bear/Dragon was garbage, imo. I had to force my way through. I think that book was mostly ghost-written, as it lacked all the things that made his other books great. For me, the Jack Ryan books ended with Executive Orders.

Red October was a great book, but my favorite is Red Storm Rising.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] Red October was a great book, but my favorite is Red Storm Rising. [/QUOTE

Agreed! RSR is one of my all time favorite books.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
My one beef with the movie is they don't have the part in the book where the ANG A-10 pilots box in the Sov flagship with flares. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here. I recently down loaded it to my kindle and re-read it again.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I read Clear and Present Danger before seeing the movie. Book was better but movie was great as well. Hunt For Red October was the movie where I learned to separate the actor from the real person I know them to be. Alec Baldwin was very good in Red October as he is in many of his movies. I just had to discipline myself to enjoy his acting without knowing who he is.

Same is true with much of Hollywood and music these days you have to divorce the person from the entertainment value they provide. I generally do not read any political statements made by musicians or actors or actresses these days as it makes it easier to enjoy the entertainment.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I was at Mare Island Naval Shipyard when that book was released. It caused quite a stir about some of the technical content.

I assume your were at Nuclear Power School in Mare Island. As a former Navy ‘Nuc’ I wondered about how much of the information we were given was really confidential. Clancy had some great sources.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed!
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
quote:

Same here. I recently down loaded it to my kindle and re-read it again.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDHunz:
One of those movies that I’ll stop whatever I’m doing, almost, and watch...

“One ping only...”

Same. Even my wife loves it.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I watch that movie about 4-6 times a year. Absolutely love it.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

RSR was my first Clancy novel. I binged on that book from the Friday afternoon I bought it on my way home from work, until I finished it that weekend--stopping only to eat, sleep, and hit the head.

Bought HFRO next. Then every Clancy novel as soon as they hit the store shelves. Have them all in hardcover.

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Alec Baldwin was very good in Red October ...

I've always felt Alec Baldwin made the best Jack Ryan of them all.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great book and movie.

This. I couldn't force my way through some of the later stuff.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
So, my first clancy book was Red Storm. Bought it before flying to Tokyo (brother was a missionary there and my parents took me to visit - figured it was our one chance to go while we had a friendly interpreter available).

I got so into the book during the flight over, that there are videos of me walking thru Japanese temple grounds reading the book while I walked instead of spending my whole time viewing the beauty all around me.

Currently reading Every Man a Tiger. I have it in the guest bathroom, and it's a good book to read in short segments while I do my business. Not something I could just sit down and go through all at once, but interesting.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Red Storm Rising is one of my all time favorite books. I go back and re-read it every couple of years or so. I'm on my third copy now, I keep wearing them out. HFRO is a great one too. I wish the movie had included the bit about the reactor meltdown on the Soviet attack sub. My other favorite Clancy novel is Without Remorse.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

I assume your were at Nuclear Power School in Mare Island. As a former Navy ‘Nuc’ I wondered about how much of the information we were given was really confidential. Clancy had some great sources.

No, not at the schoolhouse. I was the shipyard Nuclear Material Division Head responsible for both providing primary and secondary reactor parts to shipyard repair efforts locally and remotely, as well as serving as a SX and HX stock point for the Fleet.

And yes, the pondering about where he got some of his technical information is what raised eyebrows.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
I have a true 1st Edition, 1st Printing, USNI, my father gave me for a very special occasion (I come from a family of rare book dealers) and it is one of my most prized possessions.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
For those of you who loved "Red Storm Rising", may I recommend you also get/read "Red Army" by Ralph Peters.

Basically the same story from the Commie's side. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post