SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Hunt for Red October
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hunt for Red October Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
Hard to believe this movie is already 30 years old.

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of those movies that I’ll stop whatever I’m doing, almost, and watch...

“One ping only...”

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It aged well too.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Yes

A little revolution now and then is a healthy thing don’t you think.

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ryan, be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react too well to bullets!

One of my favorite books of all time...movie's pretty great too.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
The book got me back into reading, all those years ago.

I also enjoy the movie.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I was always a big Tom Clancy fan. When one of his books came out, I was at the book store, (remember those?), ASAP to buy it.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have all the Clancey books in hard cover except for Red October.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’ve read the book twice and watched the movie a number of times. I have the movie on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray 4K. Ridiculous.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I actually read the book before seeing the movie. At first I was pissed when they changed the ending, but then realized the movie ending worked better visually, and loved it just as much.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16348 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is in BBC America right now. No matter what. If it is in I watch it.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Lol, yep, watching on BBC now.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I have all the Clancey books in hard cover except for Red October.

My original copy was paperback, but in early 1990's I picked up a hard copy - USNI reprint, unfortunately. Even this cost me 30 dollars.

Back then a 1st edition was worth 2K, as only 2,000 were originally printed by the US Naval Institute Press.

The movie was pretty good, but the book is much better - Jonesey gets a field promotion in the book.

Read the book before the movie.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Submarine Orlando, this is Submarine Stingray, Stingray One speaking. We acknowledge the kill and congratulate everyone aboard that boat.

Oh wait, wrong sub movie. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
Read the book before the movie.

Too late.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Movie was pretty dern good... the book was excellent.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
If you enjoyed the movie, set aside a half hour and watching this video on the making of the movie. Very interesting.

https://youtu.be/2_epfA20dOY

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
It has always been a favorite of mine. Both the book and the movie. It was great story telling.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The book was my introduction to Tom Clancy.

I had been TAD as a Mobile Tech on a Med Cruise. Rode various ships (inter-ship transfer methods is another story...) from Charleston SC to the Med then transferred via COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) to Sigonella Italy, and had to make my way back to Charleston via Space Available air transport. LOTS of waiting around for a seat.

In one or another of the various air terminals I vegetated in, I picked up a copy of Red October somebody had left behind. Read the entire book while sitting in one of those torturous plastic terminal chairs and the time flew by. Literally could not put it down.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15228 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Great book and movie.

I started re-reading all his books and I’m on The Bear and The Dragon now. I forgot how long winded he got in his later books. Honestly I’m having a hard tike getting through this one. Nothing beats his earlier stuff though.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post