SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planning our Calexit; Input re: Colorado Springs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planning our Calexit; Input re: Colorado Springs? Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
If you're looking to live in the Rockies, I'd avoid Colorado and come to utah. Way more gun friendly and conservative.

Colorado used to be a great state, but I agree that moving there now is only setting the California clock back a few years. I also agree that Utah, along with Idaho, Oklahoma and most of the southern states are your best bet. Texas and Arizona seem scary close to turning blue to me. The same with Florida. Maybe even GA now.

I was born and raised in Idaho. Still have family there. According to them, and from what I saw on my last visit, things are not headed in a good direction. Lots of "refugees" from Kalifornistan, western Oregon and Washington, who got tired of the BS they had created and headed east. Then started recreating what they ran from. Just like the 3 or 4 northern counties on Virginia.

And all that liberal lunacy west of the mountains is spreading to the east, pretty rapidly, according to family members in Idaho.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm closing in on 20 years in CO. I've been an independent voter most of my life and feel like I fit in here in that regard. We have pockets of crazy liberals and those that are staunch conservatives. Some things are changing. Some I agree with, some I don't. Roughly a decade ago you couldn't buy full-strength beer here on Sundays without going to a bar but could get a med MJ card, and then more recently rec MJ became legal. I think people's opinions on some of these things are very polarized and no doubt you'll fit in certain communities better. I doubt it gets more conservative than the remote rural and mountain areas in CO. We are in the bottom 25% of states based on population density (i.e. people per sq mile). You get out of the metro and resort towns, and there just aren't that many people. Especially if you can stay off the front range. My first home was almost 50 miles up in the mountains and I was able to commute to the Denver Tech Center. Groceries were 25 mins each way, yet my office was within an hours drive. I could see the peak of Mt. Evans off my deck...and for some stupid reason I moved to Chicago, lol, but I made it back.

CO has grown by around 1.5M people during that time. Yeah, a fair amount of them are dbags yet I still feel this is great place to call home. I live in the south Denver metro, in Littleton. I can walk to the Platte River. I can walk to 4 breweries, numerous restaurants, and local shops in my quaint downtown. I can walk to light rail, which I could choose to take to the airport, downtown, etc. I can get off the streets and into parks and rec areas in a matter of mins. I can be skiing in less than 1.5-2 hours. Springs is an hour drive. We have incredible dining choices all over. Don't believe me, watch DDD. Guy seems to spend a lot time out here showcasing places. Our economy is pretty solid, we still have TABOR (slows gov growth), and even PERA (state retirement) has gone through changes to make it more viable. You know what the biggest issue for CO is...people keep moving here! That's the biggest challenge.

I don't think it's realistic in today's day and age to expect change to stop completely. The concerns my parents had for me, even in rural WI in the 70s, are not the same as they are today. Carve out your spot and make it your own. Colorado Springs and the surrounding area has lots of potential. Kind of depends on how close you need to be to things. Monument is kind of between the Springs and Denver, but I'd be looking in the foothills personally. You can also still buy acres of land within reasonable distances of the metro. Coming from California your dollar is sure to go a decent ways, though that's changing as well. But Cali prices are a whole different world than here. The good news is our property prices are strong, yet taxes are still relatively low in most places, and politics aside, we have a pretty good mix of folks. I believe state income tax is 4.73%. Property taxes (outside of Boulder) tend to run about 0.8-1%, which is pretty low. Rural may even be lower. I live in a top school district and my taxes are still low.

We don't have a ton of water resources like the coasts, so if you need to sail or be on a boat all the time it could be underwhelming. Not quite warm enough to throw on a suit but it's going to be 74 here today!

I'd take an extended weekend to check things out a bit. And if you can swing it, maybe check out the Western slope to see what you think of that part of the state.

Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigeinkcmo,

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
As usual, the generosity of the membership shines through. Thanks for all the great input; you have certainly given me food for thought. I grew up in Texas and have no desire to return and the South is just too hot and humid for us so we will definitely be settling somewhere in the West/Southwest.

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
Born and raised Native Coloradan. Spent 20 years away while in the Navy. Been back since 1997. My family still lives in Denver area. My sister and I speak often of the places to sell and move to out of Colorado. Incase you think we are youngsters; I am 60, my sister is 67. We may move out of the Front Range in a year or two. Our Great Grandfather came to Colorado July 4, 1886. Our family has been here since.

As soon as we can settle on a location that may be safely conservative for 20 years, we will bug out. Criteria is mild summers, low humidity, minimal bugs and poisonous snakes. Solid RED state. The current political climate in Northern Colorado will be the death of Colorado and the birth of Californicated Colorado.
Moving to the Colorado mountains is not the answer. The libs are moving to the mountains and building these mansions that equal California, thus raising the taxes off the charts.
I may build a house on our mountain property and cash out. Combine with our house in C Springs we could find a nice place elsewhere.
I can't imagine leaving Colorado, but I was on the east coast for 20 years.
Sorry, long rant.
We need more conservative minded residents, but eventually "resistance is futile." They will beat us down with stupid.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived for eight years just up the road to the north in south Denver area. Loved to go to the Springs, but I would be very leery now. It's a hotbed for all the lefties from Cali and the north west.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Colorado is a great state to live in. If you decide to come out welcome. I for one refuse to allow politics to dictate where I choose to live. There is much more to life.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Colorado is a great state to live in. If you decide to come out welcome. I for one refuse to allow politics to dictate where I choose to live. There is much more to life.
Unfortunately, sometimes the politics of where you live just won't leave you alone.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My dad lives just west of 'The Springs" a little past Pikes Peak in a town called Woodland Park. As a younger working person, I could call CS home, but as a retired person, I have too many better choices. West on highway 24 from CS are areas I would have no problem retiring to.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1170 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post