SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One Ship, One Marine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Ship, One Marine Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Jager.

The constant stupidity of thing today is drawfed by such history. Such great men, all of them.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guadalcanal not to take away from a good read but USN doctrine prior to WW2 adopted in part during the nineteen thirties was part of the problem. The Japanese navy perfected during the late nineteen twenties and thirties the art of night fighting and the tactical application of their Long Lance torpedo which was superior in range and destructive power to what the USN had. The USN during the Guadalcanal campaign was playing catch up and perfecting new tactics thus paying a heavy price.

On land the Marines where having their own learning curve but they the Marines had superior artillery tactical application which is not often mentioned.

In the air Marine, Navy, and Army air force units in my opinion were the deciding factor not meant to take away from the sacrifices of all participant's

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Japanese battleship Kirishima

Karishima battle damage assessment. Very cool read.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_..._Damage_Analysis.pdf

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
That damage report was awesome to read.

Thanks.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
amazing men, amazing story.

Why is this shit not taught in school

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
Semper Fi, the deadliest weapon on the battle field, a Marine and his rifle.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I met Col Paige on several occasions around Camp Pendleton, he was a Marine's Marine. I even got to hold his Medal of Honor on a couple of occasions. He is the living embodiment of the ver "Stack Bodies."

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Thanks much for posting. A wonderful read of history!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post