SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV: the Antenna
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV: the Antenna Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
They shouldn't publicize this, everyone will be wanting one Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
We had an amazing hack to get free TV, too-a coat hanger. Big Grin

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
http://www.tvfool.com/

you can put in your address and see how many stations you can get based on antenna height/type

Cool. If I drop cable, I can get a bunch of commie stations and Univision.

Why didn't I do this sooner?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Next they will discover wind up toys that don't use batteries and old time wall phones that never lose a charge or signal

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
What's next? Bellbottoms?

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3297 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Next they will discover wind up toys that don't use batteries and old time wall phones that never lose a charge or signal

And never get lost under the couch.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the 60's, I can remember being on the roof with my Dad turning the new antenna to get the best signal while my mother yelled from below. Later, I think we got a motor that turned the antenna on demand which we thought made us part of the middle class...

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like 2PAK, I too turned the antenna. Mostly after a high wind. And went up the street to my buddys house so I could watch Bonanza.
On his color TV.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

LOL!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
They're gonna have a moose when they find out voice controlled remotes have been around since the middle 50s.

Dad: David, would you turn up the sound a little bit?

Dad: David, would you turn to channel 10?

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Antennas can only reap what is sown... In my area, I'd get 3-7 channels and UHF.

So, I got a Roku... much more available for free via IP.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
wait till they find out what you can do with a piece of tin foil!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Do new TVs even come with a coax connection anymore?

I remember digging through my basement one time and found an old "clicker" remote, that had the 4 metal rods that would click when you pressed the button. Talk about old school.

I also had a few boxes of the old roof mount antennas which would do UHF/VHF/FM/AM.

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Just a minute, I need to get off my butt and change the channel with the visegrips.

Damn knob is busted

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I grew up using an OTA antennae , but here in the trees of Va. it does not work so well. so back to satellite. oh and for you "I stream everything over the net" guys, no I am on mobile data only at my house. We do not even have POTS here, I could legally make verizon do it but what would be the point? We have been mobile phone only for 10+ years because it was so friking expensive in Texas (anyone remember the TIF tax?)

The further you are from a major highway the less you have access to cable, internet, and yes, OTA broadcasting.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Having just "cut the cord," I need to go back in the attic over the garage in my new house and check out the TV antenna and the wiring.

The goddamned thing is the size of a Volkswagen.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cut the cord a few years ago. Have a tablo DVR and a HD antenna, mostly so the tablo can record Jeopardy since I can't stream that. However, I also find it useful for watching sports when I remember that something is on a non-cable channel.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

Yep got to Keep on Trucking Dude!!

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Just a minute, I need to get off my butt and change the channel with the visegrips.

Damn knob is busted

Remember it well!

I'm waiting for the resurgence of the rotary phone.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You can even get DVR's now that allow hookup of an OTA antenna so you aren't forced to watch anything in real time.

I see more and more people getting fed up with 200+ dollar Comcrap cable bills and doing this.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post