SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need to find an Excel crash course
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to find an Excel crash course Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
Could anyone suggest an Excel crash course that could get me up and running in 3-4 weeks? I especially need to learn Pivot Tables and VLOOKUP.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Youtoob. Both of those are very easy. I type the vlookup command manually every time I need it. Do it a few times and you have the hang of it.

Seriously, youtoob.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Check out https://www.lynda.com/

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
I used filtered. It allows you to filter out what you already know, so you don't waste your time.

Filtered Excel

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I am an Excel Whisperer (great with data, formula, pivot tables, tables, and vba).

I found this person very informative. She sells online courses also. https://www.xelplus.com/courses/

Additionally, I can offer you my help as well. I don't know how soon you need the help though as I'm about to ship my laptop off for warranty service however. Outside of that, I got nothing better to do and can squeeze you in. I really don't see you needing 3 to 4 weeks. I'm thinking about two hours.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not classes, but W3 Schools has a lot of info on formulas.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15275 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Great topic and thanks for the Youtube links.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This is great timing as I'm looking for something myself. Until I went to grad school, I had never used Excel. I never realized how powerful of a tool it is.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I'm really grateful for the help!

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
This is great timing as I'm looking for something myself. Until I went to grad school, I had never used Excel. I never realized how powerful of a tool it is.

Yeah, people do some really cool things with it. Feels like I have a ton to learn.

quote:
I really don't see you needing 3 to 4 weeks. I'm thinking about two hours.

Thank you for your kind offer by the way. I need to learn some of the basics as well, so it may take a while.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took her udemy course when preparing for a new job that required excel. It was unbelievably helpful for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I am an Excel Whisperer (great with data, formula, pivot tables, tables, and vba).

I found this person very informative. She sells online courses also. https://www.xelplus.com/courses/

Additionally, I can offer you my help as well. I don't know how soon you need the help though as I'm about to ship my laptop off for warranty service however. Outside of that, I got nothing better to do and can squeeze you in. I really don't see you needing 3 to 4 weeks. I'm thinking about two hours.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UsdedFoTA68" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
One bit of advice: Let your need drive your learning. Here's the basic policy: anything you want to do involving numbers and associated data, you can do with Excel.

You'll retain more and learn faster if you just learn according to what you need to do in the moment. There's a lot to learn that you'll forget anyway if you're not going to use it immediately.

The key which no Excel course will teach you is to set up your data like you would a database. It doesn't have to be pretty. Just set up separately on a separate sheet. You can do your dashboards or data presentation on a separate page. I even prefer an in between sheet - One sheet to house the data, a second sheet where I do the calculations, and a third sheet that I can make pretty to show the results.

One great improvement is Excel Tables. You convert your data range to a table and you can reference that table and it's elements easily with formulas from anywhere in the Excel file.

At worst, you can still refer to your data using cell references instead of table references.

Pivot Tables work excellently with Excel Tables. Pivot tables is just an easy way to slice and dice data.

VLOOKUP only works from left to right. If you have Office 365, XLOOKUP is the new alternative and it can look to the left or right columns.

Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rey HRH,

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

VLOOKUP only works from right to left. If you have Office 365, XLOOKUP is the new alternative and it can look to the left or right columns.

Good luck.

Did not know this one, will be looking further into it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15275 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

VLOOKUP only works from right to left. If you have Office 365, XLOOKUP is the new alternative and it can look to the left or right columns.

Good luck.

Did not know this one, will be looking further into it.

Now that you mention it, I have it backwards. It can only pull from columns to the right of the lookup column.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
One bit of advice: Let your need drive your learning. Here's the basic policy: anything you want to do involving numbers and associated data, you can do with Excel.

^^^

Text, too - left, mid, concatenate, value, text .... Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post