SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Justice Kennedy Keeps Law Clerks Guessing About His Retirement
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Justice Kennedy Keeps Law Clerks Guessing About His Retirement Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
WASHINGTON–Justice Anthony Kennedy on Saturday evening acknowledged recent news reports speculating about his possible retirement, and proceeded to let his closest constituency keep guessing.

The Supreme Court’s senior member–and frequently its deciding vote on cases involving gay rights, abortion access, capital punishment and other major issues–closed a private reunion of his law clerks with remarks touching on many of his longstanding concerns, according to several people who attended. He spoke of the impact of technological change, the need for civility in political discourse and the importance of public service plans.

The 200 or so who attended included many illustrious alumni of the Kennedy chambers, among them the Supreme Court’s newest justice, Donald Trump appointee Neil Gorsuch.

Then, according to several who attended, Justice Kennedy said he had a final announcement to make, addressing an issue of untold speculation. To the relief of the law clerks, who typically share a lifelong bond with the justice they served, Justice Kennedy, 80 years old, declared: The bar would be open downstairs.

The Supreme Court sits Monday to deliver the final opinions of the current term.

Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Is he a member of the Federalist Society?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Kennedy and Ginsburg both need to go. They're so far beyond their prime they couldn't find it with a telescope.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Good grief!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The less 70+ year old people making crucially important decisions relating to the internet and new technologies, the better.

But I guess that what the clerks are suppose to be for.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Kennedy and Ginsburg both retire and are replaced by a Trump pick, it will renew my faith that God is truly guiding America.

(it's been a bit muddled lately Smile )

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The bar would be open downstairs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
The less 70+ year old people making crucially important decisions relating to the internet and new technologies, the better.

But I guess that what the clerks are suppose to be for.

Age has nothing to do with making decisions related to technologies. SCOTUS is there to weigh the merits of legal cases. You are implying that someone over a certain age is incapable of making sound judgment when it comes to some matter of concerning technology. You are wrong!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
He has jokes!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What jbcummings said!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Ginsburg will try her hardest to stay on until the next POTUS election, hoping for a Dem. She's not going anywhere sooner, unless she just croaks.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Kennedy is a attention whore.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
Kennedy is a attention whore.

That's ridiculous.

It was a sly joke. I imagine that those present got a good laugh at his "announcement."

I regret posting this. I have often been astonished at the directions threads sometimes careen off in, but this is baffling. Some of you are wound up awfully tight.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I thought you posted a very interesting topic last evening and decided to watch and see how it would develope JALLEN. Maybe it will turn the corner yet.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I regret posting this. I have often been astonished at the directions threads sometimes careen off in, but this is baffling. Some of you are wound up awfully tight.

Hang in there, JALLEN. Your posts are always some of the very best of the forum.

There are probably many more members here who realized it was just a sly joke and didn't take it out of context than there are who took it the wrong way. We just chuckled and moved on.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Ginsburg will try her hardest to stay on until the next POTUS election, hoping for a Dem. She's not going anywhere sooner, unless she just croaks.

That isn't beyond the realm of possibility. I don't wish ill on anyone, but I'd love to hear President Trump is replacing her, and soon.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Swing low, sweet chariot!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
queue the picture of Ginsburg absolutely catatonic at the State of the Union address...

I have grown of the opinion we need to expand the Court to more justices - to lessen the impact of any one or two idealogically wacky opinions... maybe 15 or so.

And change it from lifetime appointment to a 20 year term or something...

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
We make airline pilots retire at 65, Federal agents retire at 57, yet we let these dolts judges continue on into dementia / adult diaper age?

YGTBSM!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
queue the picture of Ginsburg absolutely catatonic at the State of the Union address...

I have grown of the opinion we need to expand the Court to more justices - to lessen the impact of any one or two idealogically wacky opinions... maybe 15 or so.

And change it from lifetime appointment to a 20 year term or something...

-------------------------
Not sure if more is the answer, but I like the fact that here in Florida SCJ judges go on the ballot and can get the boot from the voters.

And there is a mandatory retired age of 70 as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post