SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I found a child on the side of the highway today. Happy ending :)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I found a child on the side of the highway today. Happy ending :) Login/Join 
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted
I had a doctors appointment in the big city of Show Low Arizona today and was returning home. St Johns Arizona is the closest town to me and as I was coming into town, a little girl darted across the highway. This is just a little two lane that slows to 40mph about a mile behind me from where the girl crossed. As I saw her I slowed and expected parents or older kids to come after her, but as I got across from her there was no one anywhere to be seen. I pulled off on the shoulder and headed across the the road. I could see she was crying and scared. It just so happened that an off duty reserve sheriff stopped because he thought I was the father crossing over to fetch her. At first she was very shy, so I took off my ball cap and sunglasses and asked her name which she said real fast and I couldn't make it out. I was kneeling down and cocked my head and put my hand to my ear and asked again, she leaned in and told me her name and grabbed my hand from my ear and held it. Then she told me her mom works at the Bulk Food Store about 1.5 blocks away and I knew right away where that was so we hopped in the Sheriff's Tahoe and headed over there. The store was closed up tight, so off to the PD. As soon as we told the PD who she was they knew how to contact her parents, as her family has been in this town for decades. Thanked me for bringing her in and that was that.

Edit to add: She knew her name well and she told me she was 4yrs old. Tiny kid by any standards.

I've never lived in or near a town this small. It really is different. Almost everyone knows everyone. I don't know how she got where she was. I know of her family and can't imagine they were careless. I'd guess she was with siblings, I think they have 8 or 9 kids, and she was playing and probably wandered off. I'll find out soon enough as I am good friends with someone who is good friends with her family and goes to services with them. They are a long standing Mormon family. It was nice to just go into the local PD and explain and they took her and called Mom & Dad. I can only imagine how this would have gone down in a large city.

In the moment she grabbed my hand, both of my kids childhoods, all of it, went through my mind. Not adrenalin, but I guess endorphins flooded me. I could feel her being scared, I could imagine her parents worry. It was so surreal.

The reserve sheriff was super cool too. I guess she took a liking to me so he basically just drove and did introductions at the PD. I think he was as wound up as me because he said he had kids and was thinking of them the whole time.

Anyhow, something I'd never imagine happening in my life is finding a lost child on the side of the road. I'll add this to the list of once is enough.

Posts: 2026 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Good on ya. Glad there was a good outcome.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Good on you, boss. Obviously, the right course of action.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that. Great to see some care and then act.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your my hero! Good on you sir!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's simply outstanding. Thank you.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
A+. So glad you were there.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Good job,

The reason everyone in St John knows everyone else, they're all related, except the Pakistani family that owns the motel in town.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well done!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Excellent

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good job. It could have been so much different.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Today a Gold star as placed by your name in the Good Book............................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. A most excellent display of compassion and protection.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thank you for protecting her. When we are long gone she will remember you.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Excellent! You are an example that there are still lots of good people in the world. Good man!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Finders keepers

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Great job and thanks for being there.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Good job,

The reason everyone in St John knows everyone else, they're all related, except the Pakistani family that owns the motel in town.

Give them some time and they'll work their way into the fold! Big Grin

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had something like this happen to me several years ago. I was driving my son to high school, he was a freshman, we rounded a corner and in the middle of the road was a toddler with nothing on but a diaper. It was February, maybe 10 degrees out. I called 911, said I was putting the boy in my truck. They said don't do that. We too live in a small town. I told dispatch my name, said he was going in the truck, and said tell Al, the LEO on duty, to bust his ass and get over here. Al got there fast, took the baby to the hospital, and later went back to find out how this all happened. My son was late but had a good story to show for it.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post