SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas grills that don’t rust ::UPDATE::
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas grills that don’t rust ::UPDATE:: Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not stainless, but I prefer the Pit Boss pellet grill.
Set the temp and forget it. No flare ups!

Smoke, grill, use it as an oven, etc.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
If you guys could take this Jimmy issue offline that would be awesome. I have a REAL crisis in here! I grill 2-4 times a week and need the advice of the mighty forum. I am leaning towards a stainless Webber since it will be a cheaper quicker option for cooking. But smoking some food on the BGE is really something to consider.

You're not going to be unhappy with the Weber.

I've had the black colored one for 6-7 years after replacing an 20+ y/o Genesis. It's good stuff with a great warranty.

I caught my gas line on fire the first time I used it. Called and told them I f*$@ed up and asked how much for a replacement, they said no charge, I reiterated that it was my negligence, they said don't worry about it. I had replacement hose and regulator by the following weekend for a reattempt.

There are some very easy indirect methods you can do and "smoke" things on it. Take a look at YouTube or Google for "indirect cooking Genesis".

I can fully empathize with your crisis. I suggest picking up a Smokey Joe for $30 in the mean time to get your fix. You'll find it's a great thing for camping, tailgating, cooking for two, and is durable as hell.
You're not going to be unhappy with the BGE either.

I purchased mine in May 2012 in Alaska. I grilled and smoked year around in Alaska '12-14; I grilled and smoked year around in Calgary, Alberta, '14-16; and I've grilled and smoked year around in Houston '16 to present. To call it flexible would be an understatement. I've smoked salmon at 160F, I've grilled cedar plank salmon at 400F, I've baked pizza at 800F, and everything in between. I've shoveled my way to the BGE and smoked Thanksgiving dinner (pictured), I've smoked in the rain, and I've smoked in Houston's god-awful humid summer with heat index over 120F.

My only regret is not buying a it sooner. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either a BGE, Primo, or kamodo joe. I bought a BGE because of supplier experience in Alaska - Primo was 12 weeks delivery (no inventory and nobody knew anything); Kamodo Joe didn't have a dealer; and the BGE dealer had 1 of every model indoors, 1 of ever model outdoors, could deliver immediately, the salesman owned 2 (really helpful tips), the salesman had bought them for each of his children, etc. The Primo's oval shape holds the edge for reverse sear fanatics (shape better for hot side and cool side for this than round), and Kamodo Joe has the edge on price point, better hinge, and better gasket.

The only thing I've had to do with my BGE is replace the gasket between the top and botttom a few years back, and I'm due to do it again (it costs $32.88 on Amazon). Right now I can smoke 225, but I couldn't go any lower (e.g. salmon) since it leaks too much to go below 225.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but sometimes gas is easier when tossing 2 burgers and a hot dog on for the family.

Hell, if that's your typical meal grill load, take a real good look at the Weber Q-Series grills. We keep one in our camper and it's been great.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I use my weber the same 2-4x a week. Most of the base of the stainless weber is regular painted steel.

Jimmy’s line reminded me of my grandfather, who refused to ever purchase an outdoor grill. Once he got older and was beyond caring what anybody thought, when questioned he said a grill was nothing but an excuse for a woman to get a man to do the cooking.

I think maybe he was onto something. Big Grin

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
I use my weber the same 2-4x a week. Most of the base of the stainless weber is regular painted steel.

Jimmy’s line reminded me of my grandfather, who refused to ever purchase an outdoor grill. Once he got older and was beyond caring what anybody thought, when questioned he said a grill was nothing but an excuse for a woman to get a man to do the cooking.

You couldn't PAY me to eat a burger, steak, some chicken or most other meats cooked inside in a pan!!!!!!! disgusting. I live in Sunny South Florida, it's grilling weather all year round. My girlfriend cleans the house from top to bottom including mopping the floors every single day. Her cooking is fairly good, but not my taste.

How is this relavent to the thread???

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

You couldn't PAY me to eat a burger, steak, some chicken or most other meats cooked inside in a pan!!!!!!! disgusting. I live in Sunny South Florida, it's grilling weather all year round. My girlfriend cleans the house from top to bottom including mopping the floors every single day. Her cooking is fairly good, but not my taste.

How is this relavent to the thread???

This thread has already run its course. You’re going to bust on me for relevance for an amusing anecdote after your endless pages of irrelevant bickering? You really do seem to troll, even to those who haven’t jumped into your fights. Roll Eyes

Perhaps it’s just your way, but you need to lighten up. Seriously.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet he adds to the derailment by telling us about his everyday house cleaning/mopping girlfriend. Roll Eyes

Sorry hunter, most of us would like to take it offline, but the care facilities won't let us old folk leave. Big Grin

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Yet he adds to the derailment by telling us about his everyday house cleaning/mopping girlfriend. Roll Eyes

Sorry hunter, most of us would like to take it offline, but the care facilities won't let us old folk leave. Big Grin

Haha, it was worth a try.

I think I am settled on the Weber S-310. I do 100% of the cooking, if I am gone the wife makes easy Mac. Most of my cooking is quick meals, put some chicken and veggies on the grill, burgers, steaks, kabobs, etc. I would LOVE to smoke meats low and slow on the weekends, but for what I use it for on a weekly basis, gas seems to work better.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you made the best choice as you will get many of the preferred features.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

Well, I ended up getting that Weber Stainless 3 burner. It was $799 + tax and came with a free I grill 3 from Home Depot, some special they were running a couple weeks ago.

So far we have done a few rounds of chicken, steak, and burgers. The steak came out perfectly using the igrill set to medium rare.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Nice!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Nice grill. You will be pleased with your purchase for many years to come.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did yourself proud with that purchase.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Weber logo is crooked. Wink

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
The Weber logo is crooked. Wink

Thats a special Weber feature to compensate for patios that are not level.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haha, didn’t even notice the Weber logo, will take another look next cook.

I appreciate all the advice. I am happy with the choice even though it was a little more than I wanted to spend. Not that I couldn’t afford it, more so I am a cheap ass (as my father taught me). But I now see the value, really with the 10 year full warranty it will come out the same price as buying a cheap grill and replacing parts every 3 years.

Thanks again!

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
We got Dad the Genesis a decade ago. Still grilling with zero maintenance, still sitting next to the deck 24/7/365. It's probably the preservative Pennsylvania winters which have prolonged its life.

The only upgrade, cast iron grill inserts for $50. Not sure it makes a huge difference, though. I'm grilling here (on vacation in AZ) on a basic 18" Weber charcoal grill enhanced with hickory chunks, and doing fine.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post