SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas grills that don’t rust ::UPDATE::
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas grills that don’t rust ::UPDATE:: Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
my $250 charbroil 4-burner is going strong after 9 years. I did finally replace the grates and burner covers last year... grates were not terrible but starting to rust a bit. burner covers were shot. $40 parts kit set it right again. Everything else works great. I cover it every time I use it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Let's see if my Google-fu is better.

"Magnetism and corrosion resistance are not connected. Corrosion resistance depends on how much chromium and (sometimes) molybdenum is in the stainless steel. The higher the chromium and molybdenum, the better corrosion resistance.

The magnetism myth is because the common magnetic grades of stainless steel, 409 and 430, don’t resist corrosion as well as the common non-magnetic grades, 304 and 316. You can’t expect them to. Grade 409 has 11% of chromium, which is plenty for automotive muffler systems.

Grade 430 has 16% of chromium, and is mostly used indoors. Grade 304 has 18% of chromium, which makes it suitable for general purposes, including outdoor exposures. And in marine environments you need Grade 316, which has 16% chromium and also 2% of molybdenum to help it resist the attack of salt. 316 is known as marine grade.

So the Common non-magnetic stainless steels have better corrosion resistance than the common magnetic grades because they have more chromium and molybdenum."

LINK

Thanks again SM, up until today I believed the myth.

For the record, I've had a Weber Genesis e-320 going on ten years now. I used to cover it, but the cover wore out. I couldn't keep the porcelain coated cast iron grates from rusting even though I took care of them by the book. Weber sent new ones the first time and gave me a good discount on the stainless steel ones the second time. I've replaced the flavorizers bars with heavier aftermarket ones, although I'm sure Weber would have taken care of those as well. I need to replace the plastic wheels, but ten years on pavers seems ok.

Other than that, the grill looks and works great. I'll buy another one when this one wears out if I don't give up the ghost first.

This is true if you are NOT COOKING with the stainless steel. With heat, you need the nickel content for corrosion resistance in stainless steel. I forgot the exact temperature, but over a certain temperature, the nickel in the s/s alloy is what keeps it from corroding because the other corrosion resistant metals in the s/s are depleted from the heat. Austenitic stainless steel ie non magnetic is what you need for a grill or any other cooking vessel to be very corrosion resistant.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
Well, it looks like I can’t get what I want in my price range, so I will need to step it up. Right now I am about $550 into my current grill (includes first round of replacement parts) that is 5 years old and have to put another $120 and hope it lasts another 3 years.

Do we think the newer Webber grills are just as good as the old ones? Seems nothing is made like they used to. Anyone have any thoughts on this specific Webber? 10 year all parts warranty sounds pretty good.

Genesis II S-310

One reason I love the Charbroil RED was the very even cooking and no flare ups. Despite my best efforts, my wife likes all her steaks/burgers/etc completely well done. But she doesn’t want any burn marks or char. This proved difficult with previous grills.

The BGE seems great, but I quickly go from the $859 price to $1200+ out the door with a nest, cover, and other accessories.

Try watching Craigslist. There are fairly new Webers on there ALL of the time in my area for $150-200 usually.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
I have a Weber Genesis 310 that’s about 5 or 6 yrs old. I’ve got the copper colored enamel one. No rusting on top or doors. Looks great. Until you open it up.
The grates have been rusted and flaking for the last couple years. They need replaced. Immediately. The flavor bars are completely rusted. They need replaced immediately. The igniter on the left needs fixed.
Between the 3 things that need fixed, it’s about 40% of the original purchase price. That’s going with Grill Grates, and having new flavor bars made at a local fabricating shop. If they’ll make them. I don’t want to keep replacing things.
I keep it covered but outside. I live in the rust belt. It is what it is. Damn.

See I read some reviews where the grills go 10 years and then you replace $75 in parts. But then I read other reviews where they have to spend $200 in 5 years. I get some people have covered patios, some people cover their grills, others don’t. I am hoping with the stainless version I would have to replace less often. Plus is that 10yr warranty good on all parts? If I go 10 years that might be okay for the $799 Home Depot is selling them for. Probably come out the same as another Charbroil but in theory I would have a better grill for 10 years.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might check to see if your neighbor has a BGE sitting out for trash pickup.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I have a BGE, and love it.

But, for a quick easy meal when time is an issue, I use a: NEXGRILL

Bought it at Home Depot, and it is the best, longest lasting gas grill I have owned. I got the $270 ish all stainless steel model, and it is holding up very well. 6 years in VA, no cover, nothing repaired or replaced on it.

I like it so much, I bought one for my son as a house warming present.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a Genisis 320 in Copper for 8 years. Got it local but here is a link to Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber...er-Gas-Grill/3318434

When I purchased, I swapped out the cast iron grates for stainless (for the difference in price) and NOT ONE ISSUE. NO rust, peeling paint or stuck valves. Best grill I ever had.

As for the stainless discussion, all I have to add is; It's called stainLESS not stainFREE. In my humble opinion, all will rust a bit, some types LESS than others.

I wallow happily in my technical ignorance, but swim contented on my experience.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Don't laugh. My neighbor picked one up in a very expensive neighborhood, an XL that literally was like brand new but the base (bottom half) was cracked. He literally threw out all of the internals and turned it into a flower planter.......then we were talking grills I guess a month after he did all this and I mentioned how expensive they were and he offered it to me.......the base would have been only $350 IF he didn't throw out all of the internals which were almost new when he turned it into a flower pot. All of the internals and a new base added up to almost the price of the new one, so it's still a flower planter in his back yard!!!!!

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Don't laugh. My neighbor picked one up in a very expensive neighborhood, an XL that literally was like brand new but the base (bottom half) was cracked. He literally threw out all of the internals and turned it into a flower planter.......then we were talking grills I guess a month after he did all this and I mentioned how expensive they were and he offered it to me.......the base would have been only $350 IF he didn't throw out all of the internals which were almost new when he turned it into a flower pot. All of the internals and a new base added up to almost the price of the new one, so it's still a flower planter in his back yard!!!!!

Jeez...I was just wondering a few days ago when this topic came up if we'd all get to here jimmys "Big Green Eggs" story!
Well we have and for some reason the story he's telling isn't the same shit storm story that whet down here when he started his BGE topic and was so outraged when the BGE Mfg wouldn't warranty or heavily discount parts for his 3rd hand, dumpster diving curbside discarded "Big Green Egg"

Posts: 18033 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:...for some reason the story he's telling isn't the same shit storm story that whet down here when he started his BGE topic...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
No body makes me laugh like sigmonkey does!!!... Smile

Posts: 18033 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:
quote:

Jeez...I was just wondering a few days ago when this topic came up if we'd all get to here jimmys "Big Green Eggs" story!
Well we have and for some reason the story he's telling isn't the same shit storm story that whet down here when he started his BGE topic and was so outraged when the BGE Mfg wouldn't warranty or heavily discount parts for his 3rd hand, dumpster diving curbside discarded "Big Green Egg"

I NEVER wanted them to warranty it for free nor heavily discount the parts. I was looking in that posting for a place that had the prices of the parts listed online. So I could simply see what the parts costed instead of waiting for the dealer to open on Monday.

But I'm glad those with a middle school mentality are so easily amused and twist the facts around. Because I simply find it, pretty pathetic, and laugh at you. It's like the middle school bullies that are now 80 years old and 350lbs, trying to still be, a middle school bully. AND, I don't even have to watch South Park.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I NEVER wanted them to warranty it for free nor heavily discount the parts.

REALLY???

Posted by YOU on July 09, 2017
"SOOOOO is it worth it to try to either warranty out the base"

Google doesn't forget:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7470010724/p/1

If you want to see the person twisting the facts, go look in the mirror.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

REALLY???

Google doesn't forget:

Omg what fuck this guy...

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

REALLY???

Posted by YOU on July 09, 2017

Google doesn't forget:

If you want to see the person twisting the facts, go look in the mirror.

Mustang PAPA= I had never spoken to the manufacturer until well after that thread was over. I was outraged because various people on the forum were trying to say I was a thief when my post was clear that I was looking for prices on the parts.

EXCAM_MAN= YOU MEAN THIS POST????? HERE IS THE ENTIRE POST WITHOUT YOU EDITING IT TO CHANGE WHAT I SAID. The post was looking for WHAT EACH OF THE PARTS COST. But WTG Excam man for once again muddying up someone else's thread with irrevelant BS that has nothing to do with their topic! None of it does anything positive for other members of this forum.

"SOOOOO is it worth it to try to either warranty out the base OR buy one and buy all of the racks for it? How much does an XL base (bottom half of the grill) cost? I only see ways to warranty it IF you're the original owner AND you have the reciept, not to buy one. He said I could have it for free.

Here is my Original POST in entirety without you guys trying to take it out of context. I only see ways to warranty it if you're the original owner, NOT TO BUY ONE. Meaning I don't see the base for sale, if you're not the original owner and you need to buy a base for it. Do you guys speak the same English language as people in South Florida or what?

There are many companies that offer a lifetime warranty and will still warranty their product IF you are honest and tell them that you are not the original owner. Delta is one of those companies. SIG is another company that has been known to warranty their guns even if you are not the original owner and tell them you're not the original owner. My plan like I said earlier is call the local dealer, tell them what happened and the history on the grill, AND ask them what all the parts cost etc. etc. If the manufacturer chooses to warranty it, knowing I am not the original owner and it was given to me in that condition, that is their decision.

I am more than willing to buy the parts IF it's worth purchasing the parts it needs (and they're not the same price as buying a complete brand new one.) The base has a visible crack from top to bottom, the liner was cracked according to my neighbor he threw that out and ALL of the hardware (racks and whatever else goes inside of the grill). IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT PARTS IT NEEDS AND HOW MUCH THEY COST!!!!!!!!!!! BGE's website shows crude pictures of the entire grill, but not parts breakdown or diagram of what it has inside.

That being said the entire grill was complete and on the side of the road when my neighbor picked it up in a neighborhood where houses start a $1 million, they throw out all sorts of expensive stuff in that neighborhood all of the time. He's retired and cruises through it a couple times a week, and takes some to the scrap yard, collects some, sells some, etc. He just picked up a $1000 pro series 34 electric traeger smoker yesterday and didn't know what he had (I helped him unload it and that's how he told me about the BGE and showed it to me in his backyard with dirt and a plant in it.) The traeger is in pretty good condition, but I think just needs a heating element.

Do you guys have some sort of language barrier??????? Because out of 10 posts talking about me being unethical of trying to warranty something out when I am asking about buying the parts. And no it's not unethical, I'm going to call the dealer Monday, tell them the exact story, they're going to call the manufacturer and tell them the exact story AND if the manufacturer chooses to warranty the base out, then that's their decision. You people, are acting like I am on here asking for a copy of someone's original reciept so I can try to warranty it out on false pretences. WTF is wrong with you people?????

Not a single person in 10 posts has answered my question. WHAT PARTS GO INSIDE AND HOW MUCH DO THE PARTS COST???????????????????????????????"

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
One minute you're king of the reef and the next minute you're fish food.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I wish you guys would quit picking on poor Jimmy. Roll Eyes

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you guys could take this Jimmy issue offline that would be awesome. I have a REAL crisis in here! I grill 2-4 times a week and need the advice of the mighty forum. I am leaning towards a stainless Weber since it will be a cheaper quicker option for cooking. But smoking some food on the BGE is really something to consider.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hunter62,

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you guys could take this Jimmy issue offline that would be awesome. I have a REAL crisis in here! I grill 2-4 times a week and need the advice of the mighty forum. I am leaning towards a stainless Webber since it will be a cheaper quicker option for cooking. But smoking some food on the BGE is really something to consider.

Personally I think the colored weber will last you just as long as the stainless perhaps longer. The only difference on the inside of the stainless webers are stainless grates, but if you keep enough grease on the regular weber grates, which you do by cooking on it 2-4x a week, they probably will never rust (I think those are cast iron). I use my weber the same 2-4x a week. Most of the base of the stainless weber is regular painted steel.

I have a $3XX weber smokey joe which is a dedicated smoker and does really well, so something else to consider. Or you could just buy a weber gold 22" kettle grill for $1xx and smoke on it or grill something on a charcoal grill once in a while.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you guys could take this Jimmy issue offline that would be awesome. I have a REAL crisis in here! I grill 2-4 times a week and need the advice of the mighty forum. I am leaning towards a stainless Webber since it will be a cheaper quicker option for cooking. But smoking some food on the BGE is really something to consider.

You're not going to be unhappy with the Weber.

I've had the black colored one for 6-7 years after replacing an 20+ y/o Genesis. It's good stuff with a great warranty.

I caught my gas line on fire the first time I used it. Called and told them I f*$@ed up and asked how much for a replacement, they said no charge, I reiterated that it was my negligence, they said don't worry about it. I had replacement hose and regulator by the following weekend for a reattempt.

There are some very easy indirect methods you can do and "smoke" things on it. Take a look at YouTube or Google for "indirect cooking Genesis".

I can fully empathize with your crisis. I suggest picking up a Smokey Joe for $30 in the mean time to get your fix. You'll find it's a great thing for camping, tailgating, cooking for two, and is durable as hell.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post