SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    More Thanksgiving: Pump up your Pumpkin (Pie)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Thanksgiving: Pump up your Pumpkin (Pie) Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted
This time of year lots of people are making pumpkin pies, and many of them will be using the recipe on the back of the can. While this produces an acceptable pie, it's easy to up the game and end up with a much better product. Partially precooking the filling gets rid of the raw pumpkin taste, concentrates flavor, and improves the texture. Additionally, blind baking the crust before adding the filling has many benefits including avoiding the ubiquitous soggy bottom crust. I hope you'll try these tips to pump up your pumpkin!

Place your pie crust on a half sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool the crust at least 10 minutes before filling.

Bring the pumpkin puree to a simmer over medium heat in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add the half-and-half, spices, and salt. Stir and return the mixture to a simmer. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.

Whisk the brown sugar and eggs in a large bowl until smooth. Add the pumpkin mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.

Pour the filling into the warm pie crust and bake on the same half sheet pan for 45 to 50 minutes, until the center jiggles slightly but the sides of the filling are set. Cool on a cooling rack for at least 2 hours before slicing. The pie can be made and refrigerated up to 2 days in advance and is best the day after it is made.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to cook the canned pumpkin puree (which is ALREADY cooked to death by the canning process) a second time, THEN bake it? So it's now cooked 3 times?

I'm not familiar with this "raw pumpkin taste" you speak of?

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Because it results in better flavor. Do you cook canned vegetables? Sure you do. The cooking bit here helps remove excess water from the puree, which results in better texture and concentrated flavor. And we're basically preheating it before it goes in the shell, so we're actually starting the baking on the stove top and lowering the time required in the oven. Bottom line is it makes a better pie.
Do yours however you like. But I'm offering tips here for people whjo want better results.

Here's one of mine using an almond flour gingersnap crust (lower carb)

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I just bake sweet potatoes,peal them and blend with sugar and vanilla extract, melted butter, on pre backed pie crust.
That is my pumpkin pie Wink

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I was never a fan of pumpkin pie. However, I do like pumpkin cheesecake. I've made this a dozen or more times and always get positive feedback.

https://www.verybestbaking.com...0/pumpkin-cheesecake

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I love pumpkin. I already blind bake my pie crust but will definitely try simmering the filling. I also can't wait to try that pumpkin cheesecake recipe. Thanks to both of you for posting.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I like soggy crust

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Graham cracker crust shell for me.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post